Tractor Sizing Tractor with FEL to lift 550-750lb round bales

/ Tractor with FEL to lift 550-750lb round bales #1  

freedomlives

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TS35F, Goldoni Special 140 with powered trailer -- Goldoni Special 128 -- Goldoni Uno for mowing -- Czech Vari system
Hi,

I'm in Slovakia. I know that larger bales exist, but for our field, the guy who comes and bales, his weigh no more than 700 pounds, and basically that's what is usually for sale as well if I have to buy from someone.

Last summer I had half of our 5 acre hay field baled by him, and I managed to roll the 10 bales up a ramp onto a trailer behind my Goldoni powered trailer set up, and one onto the Goldoni itself, so I was able to transport 3 at a time with a 12HP diesel motor. An achievement I felt good about, but my back did not appreciate. Of course, storing the bales was a problem-- with a superhuman effort and my wife's help-- I was able to manhandle one of the bales up on top of 4 others, where it sat itself lopsided instead of neatly in a triangle ontop of just two. Obviously, it is extremely undesirable to have the bales not even stacked two high.

So that's the background why I feel a pretty desperate need for a tractor with a FEL. We're also moving up from having just around 16 goats/sheep to adding cattle to the mix this year and rotational grazing. My goal is not to feed much hay (a friend hasn't fed his Angus any this winter), but we do have winters here, and the winter of 2017 was a real hard one with a lot of snow, so I know I've got to be prepared with hay in the reserve in case we get a foot or two of snow that sticks around for a couple of weeks-- or in the worst case of last year, several months.

Of course, all the other uses of a FEL would be cool to have to-- moving around gravel when we're making concrete here, digging in combination with the rotary plow to loosen the soil, moving soil to even out dips in fields and roads, etc.

My problem is of course that I have limited funds, and also there seems to be a bit of a gap in tractors available on the used market here. A lot of Japanese tractors up to around 35HP (though most common seems like 27HP), and then a lot of Zetors with anything having a front end loader being at least 60HP and up, with the obvious jump in price. 4WD is a must because of how our house is down in a valley and most of our fields up a steep rise above us.

What would you see as a sort of minimum not to look below?

/ Tractor with FEL to lift 550-750lb round bales #2  
I do not know how well US tractor models translate to European tractor models but the Kubota L2501, which is 2,600 pounds bare tractor weight and 25-horsepower, has Kubota's LA525 FEL as an option. Kubota Loaders are rated in Kilograms, so LA525 = 1,155 pounds of lift.

This is the smallest size Kubota tractor in the USA line with reasonably large wheels.

Kubota L2501 - attachments

Standard L Series
Compact Utility tractor
Series next: Kubota L3301
more Kubota L2501 specifications...

Loader:
Loader type: Kubota LA525
Height (to pin): 94.3 inches [239 cm]
Lift to full height (at pin): 1131 lbs [513 kg]
Lift to 1.5m (at pin): 1490 lbs [675 kg]
Lift to 1.5m (at 500mm): 1182 lbs [536 kg]

FEL lift capacity decreases rapidly with lift height.

Consider SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) for your FEL which will permit attachment of a bale spear directly to the FEL, eliminating the bucket as part of payload calculation.

Last edited:
   / Tractor with FEL to lift 550-750lb round bales
That's encouraging information. So a 25HP Kubota can probably do it, then probably these 27HP Iseki's which for some reason I see a lot of should do the trick as well.

I may be stuck with what comes as far as the quick connects, but I've seen people selling the hooks and catches as separate pieces to weld on and retrofit the FEL to have the Euro-Connect (which fulfils the same purpose I think as the SSQA).

/ Tractor with FEL to lift 550-750lb round bales #4  
If you go to the good morning thread and look for posts by Eric he is from England and has an Iseki and may be able to help .

/ Tractor with FEL to lift 550-750lb round bales #5  
Last edited:
In the meantime, I found a Kubota GL417 and got my wife to call about it. It is 42HP, and the company said they can put on a FEL as well. So we'll see if that goes through. They are several hours drive away and I'll need to go see it in person first.

/ Tractor with FEL to lift 550-750lb round bales #7  
Kubota GL417

1996 - 2001 GL Series
Compact Utility tractor
Previous model: Kubota GL418
Series next: Kubota GL467
Series back: Kubota GL367

Manufacturer: Kubota

Kubota GL417 Engine:
Kubota 2.2L 4-cyl diesel

Capacity:
Fuel: 9.25 gal [35.0 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I
Rear lift: 1907 lbs [865 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear RPM: 544/806/1252 (1.375)

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 72.1 inches [183 cm]
Weight: 3175 to 3616 pounds
Front tire: 8-16
Rear tire: 13.6-26

Kubota GL417 Power:
Engine: 41.4 hp [30.9 kW]
PTO (claimed): 37.8 hp [28.2 kW]

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x4 MFWD 4WD
Steering: power
Brakes: mechanical wet disc
Cab: Two-post ROPS. Cab optional.

Hydraulics:
Pump flow: 6.3 gpm [23.8 lpm]

Dimensions:
ROPS Weight: 3175 lbs [1440 kg]
Cab Weight: 3616 lbs [1640 kg]
Wheelbase: 72.1 inches [183 cm]
Length: 130.9 inches [332 cm]
Width: 58.7 inches [149 cm]
Height (ROPS): 85.6 inches [217 cm]
Height (cab): 84.8 inches [215 cm]
Ground clearance: 14.2 inches [36 cm]
Front tread: 44.5 inches [113 cm]
Rear tread: 45.5 to 57 inches [115 to 144 cm]

NO LOADER DATA SHOWN FOR THIS MODEL.

That's what I've found on there with a lot of these non-US market tractors-- there is no data about loaders or other accessories on that website. The truth I guess is hidden somewhere in Japanese, which is unfortunate as I have no hope of reading Japanese, though I did find some photos of a nice GL417 on a Japanese website with the cab option and FEL.

My wife talked to the company some more, and they said I should just come see, as they have several aftermarket FELs they could attach. Well, anyway, I'd be going to see it. However, they recommend waiting a couple of weeks, as they are in a colder, mountainous part of Slovakia, about 3 hours drive away.

/ Tractor with FEL to lift 550-750lb round bales #9  
Apparently there is greater demand for Loaders and Backhoes in North America than in the rest of the world.

Unless things have changed recently, all Kubota Loaders and all Kubota Backhoes are manufactured in one of three Kubota manufacturing plants in Georgia/USA and exported from USA to Kubota distribution warehouses around the world.

Kubota is a good size employer in the state of Georgia.

Last edited:
Farming trends in Slovakia are definitely not going to be representative of the EU (as Slovakia has the highest percentage of mega-sized farms), but what I've noticed large farms here tend to have is a dedicated "telescopic handler" vehicle (Telescopic handler - Wikipedia). They use these for stacking hay and straw bales really high, as well as with scooper for loading grains. I am sure there was some EU subsidy program that "helped" large farms buy this equipment and otherwise threw around (largely) the tax-money of the Germans onto some lucky ones in other member states.
Thinking of it, even a friend who is pretty much just in the grain business has one of these, as well as some tractors, and it is a wonder why he didn't just get a front end loader attachment for one of his tractors. The plus side is that now that he's started in to cattle, I was helping explain high tensile fencing to him, and whereas I use a handheld gas auger, he ended up sharpening the posts and beating them into the ground with the telescopic handler. I wouldn't mind having such a large hammer for fence building either ;-).

Interesting that the FEL are made in GA-- where I'm from. :)