Buying Advice HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ?

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #1  

Buckchaser

Tractor
Massey F 1734
Hi .. Just need some guidance. I'm soon buying a new Massey Ferguson 34 HP with loader. Trying to decide on Hydrostat or Gear Transmission. I'll be Brush Hogging about 15 Acres a few times a year and using a Tiller for a couple acres of food plots.. Most of the use will be for these two things , but will use the loader at times for different chores , including snow removal.. The tractor does not have a cruise control function for the HST so foot pedal will be used for the few hours of steady brush hogging. Any recommendations from you guys who own either kind of transmissions ?? Thanks for any help you can give me.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #2  
HST for the win on every listed task IMO.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #3  
I just went back and forth on this same thing. In the end, I wound up buying the HST.
So far, I like it. I just have to get use to not pushing in the clutch when changing directions lol

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #4  
Seems like those primary uses lean in the direction of gear. I'd only suggest HST if the loader work was a big factor, especially moving/spreading bulk materials.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #5  
I had to make a similar choice when I bought my 34hp Kioti. My right knee has been over 40 years of problems, and hated staying in one position for long. The gear transmission made more sense for me - and gave me more usable power and cost less, as well. As an added bonus, the clutch keeps the wife from wanting to drive it much.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #6  
All transmissions aren’t created equal. The Kubota GrandL HST+ are the best IMO. In any case some whine less than others. I’m not familiar with the gear terminology but the ones that don’t require the clutch to change direction at low speed or to shift gears are more operator friendly. My grandpa used to have a L2550 that had synchronized 1-8 gears ( real 1-8 and not a 4 hi-low) and you didn’t need the clutch to shift. I could handle it but the non synchronized bare bones gear tractors are pure torture for me.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #7  
Seems like those primary uses lean in the direction of gear. I'd only suggest HST if the loader work was a big factor, especially moving/spreading bulk materials.

Totally agree. No cruise you’ll want the gear transmission when brush cutting. Only exception is if you have a lot of weird places you need to back up into to get.

If you can try both models I suggest you do. Some tractors the HST pedals require more push from your right leg and some are super easy (like my l6060 which is fly by wire so super easy). On the flip side, some gear tractors have a clutch that is very hard to push in (like my precious NH WM55 which was hard on my left knee) and some are very easy to depress. If you can try both it may swing your decision.

One last thought, does the gear version have shuttle? If you use the loader a LOT you’ll either want a shuttle shift or HST. But if you don’t use the loader as much as you cut and till, the gear would be better for the cost IMO.

Ps: I’m really surprised the HST doesn’t have some sort of cruise. My first tractor was a Long Farmtrac HST and as cheap as it was it had a crude lever you could pull up and keep the HST forward depressed.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #8  
I don’t bush hog at the same speed. I speed up for light grass and slow down for heavy grass and bumps.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #9  
My choice would be gear too, I MUCH prefer them!

Lower maintenance cost

Better for going slow at no load use

Gear drive uses less engine power and best of all,

NO WHINEING HOWLING HYSTAT noise, to have to put up with!!

The guys that say there isn't any, they are the ones that already lost their hearing, because of it!! lol

SR

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #10  
Lower maintenance cost. How high is either one? Better for going slow? Define that. Given it doesn’t run out of fuel or hit on obstacle my HST would cross the state at .1 mph. Some HSTs do make an annoying whine. Some don’t. My L3240 didn’t whine except when in high range. I only used high range for road travel so it was no big deal. Before you can say I’m a sissy that hates gears I drive a 5 speed truck and was a proficient operator on the geared L2550. I’ve used several bare bones transmission geared tractor for a couple of hours. It’s terrible. The L2550 was vastly superior.