Buying Advice Is 180 Hours Worth 3k of Savings ?

/ Is 180 Hours Worth 3k of Savings ? #1  

sloeffle

Bronze Member
Tractor
1959 Fordson
Currently in the market for a 40 - 50HP compact tractor. I have driven and looked at multiple brands and I *think* I have decided on a Yanmar YT347. I like everything about the YT347, but the transmission seems over complicated to me. I'd say after some time it will make sense. The local dealer has a demo unit on it with 180 hours and is willing to sell it to me 3k cheaper ( maybe more ) than a newer machine. I have had my current machine ( JD 770 ) for fifteen years and plan on keeping this machine until I stop farming ( fifteen - twenty years as a guess ). I put around 75 - 100 hours a year on a machine.

The salesman at the dealership explained to me that the demo unit was dropped off at people's houses and they also used it to let people take test drives on the dealer lot. So I'd say the machine has seen a fair amount of starts and stops. The machine would come with a full warranty from Yanmar. It recently has had the oil changed and been greased. I need to ask about the hydraulic fluid and filter. The paint on the cutting edge of the bucket was still there and I didn't notice any real cosmetic issues other than what looked to be some minor blemishes on the hood. I don't baby my machines so I can care less about those.

Whether to by a new machine or this demo unit is a no brainer IMHO. My question is, does anybody think major damage could have been done to the unit within those 180 hours by customer that had the machine on there property ? I bought my JD used from the original owner so I am not against buying a used machine.

/ Is 180 Hours Worth 3k of Savings ? #2  
What model year is the demo tractor compared to a 2018? 1-2 years old?

/ Is 180 Hours Worth 3k of Savings ? #3  
Currently in the market for a 40 - 50HP compact tractor. I have driven and looked at multiple brands and I *think* I have decided on a Yanmar YT347. I like everything about the YT347, but the transmission seems over complicated to me. I'd say after some time it will make sense. The local dealer has a demo unit on it with 180 hours and is willing to sell it to me 3k cheaper ( maybe more ) than a newer machine. I have had my current machine ( JD 770 ) for fifteen years and plan on keeping this machine until I stop farming ( fifteen - twenty years as a guess ). I put around 75 - 100 hours a year on a machine.

The salesman at the dealership explained to me that the demo unit was dropped off at people's houses and they also used it to let people take test drives on the dealer lot. So I'd say the machine has seen a fair amount of starts and stops. The machine would come with a full warranty from Yanmar. It recently has had the oil changed and been greased. I need to ask about the hydraulic fluid and filter. The paint on the cutting edge of the bucket was still there and I didn't notice any real cosmetic issues other than what looked to be some minor blemishes on the hood. I don't baby my machines so I can care less about those.

Whether to by a new machine or this demo unit is a no brainer IMHO. My question is, does anybody think major damage could have been done to the unit within those 180 hours by customer that had the machine on there property ? I bought my JD used from the original owner so I am not against buying a used machine.

It's still going to have the full 5 year warranty, and I also believe that if there were going to be problems they would already have shown up. Those tractors are pretty tough; and somebody would need to really abuse it to hurt it.
That's same amount of hours that were on my Kubota when I bought it, and the paint was also still on the bucket. Of course it had been repainted. Just my opinion though; 3K doesn't seem like much of a savings on that size tractor; (I saved about that much on my smaller, 2YO tractor plus it was already set up for a front grapple.) you might be able to get them to kick in a few perks like all of the fluids and filters for the next service; free delivery if it isn't included already; maybe include a new backhoe... OK, that last is a stretch. :)

/ Is 180 Hours Worth 3k of Savings ?
What model year is the demo tractor compared to a 2018? 1-2 years old?
The demo unit is a 2017.

From what he told me the 2018 and 2017 machines are the same. I'd guess the 2018 units have had "internal" updates done though.

you might be able to get them to kick in a few perks like all of the fluids and filters for the next service; free delivery if it isn't included already; maybe include a new backhoe... OK, that last is a stretch. :)

It is 3k off of a new machine. He is discounting new machines around 12k from MSRP. So I'd be around 15k off of MSRP. MSRP is 39.6k from what I have been told by multiple dealers. He is willing to fill the tires, and is throwing a quick hitch into the deal too. Free delivery is standard if you buy a tractor from him. As part of the deal I would also be eligible for $500 worth of Yanmar accessories.

I would get the above when I buy a new machine too. So I'd consider it a wash.

/ Is 180 Hours Worth 3k of Savings ? #6  
I would want more savings than that or I would buy the new one. 180hrs is nothing on a well maintained tractor... but.

I just know if I'm paying that much for something I want to know how it was broken in and treated in that first 180hrs.

I don't think your decision would be wrong either way.

/ Is 180 Hours Worth 3k of Savings ? #7  
It never hurts to ask for more savings. Double it and see if he goes for it. Or ask for the 3 in savings and another 3 in “stuff” if you need that mischievous stuff. It is a bit easier for the dealer to give you 3k in stuff because he did not pay 3k for it. That assumes the 3k in stuff is stuff you need.

/ Is 180 Hours Worth 3k of Savings ? #8  
It is 3k off of a new machine. He is discounting new machines around 12k from MSRP. So I'd be around 15k off of MSRP. MSRP is 39.6k from what I have been told by multiple dealers. He is willing to fill the tires, and is throwing a quick hitch into the deal too. Free delivery is standard if you buy a tractor from him. As part of the deal I would also be eligible for $500 worth of Yanmar accessories.

I would get the above when I buy a new machine too. So I'd consider it a wash.

Sounds like it would be good deal either way. I say go whichever way you are comfortable and if you go with the used buy a couple implements and feel way ahead. Afterall it still has a full warranty.

Last edited:
   / Is 180 Hours Worth 3k of Savings ? #9  
A nice feature of the Yanmar YT3 series iHMT transmissions are that they're cartridge style, removable for servicing, and put down more power than a HST.

It never hurts to ask for more savings. Double it and see if he goes for it. Or ask for the 3 in savings and another 3 in “stuff” if you need that mischievous stuff. It is a bit easier for the dealer to give you 3k in stuff because he did not pay 3k for it. That assumes the 3k in stuff is stuff you need.
He was willing to take about $400 off but said that is about all of the money he could take off. I didn't really push him though too. I'll see if I can have him throw in some "stuff" into deal to sweeten it up. I talked to him about adding a 3rd valve ( $950 ) for a grapple, maybe I'll see if he will throw that in.

Spoke to the CEO / CFO / CTO more about it and she seems to think I would be foolish to not buy the demo unit. Let someone else eat the depreciation right out of the gate. I plan on heading over there early next week to look at the machine in the daylight. Last time I was over there looking at it, it was in a cramped building so we could get out of the rain.

Last edited: