Tractor Sizing Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #1  

LinesOrchids

Tractor
None
We are planning to purchase a 35 acre tract with 2 acre pond, 3 wooded acre, and 30 acre pasture. We run a commercial greenhouse operation and so another 1-2 acres will be covered in greenhouses (adding 5-10k square feet every year or so until a total of 15-20 acres). We only currently have a forklift and mower. I am looking into getting a tractor for the following tasks: mostly mowing the 25ish acres of fields, unloading materials from semi-trucks in the 2k lb range, dirt moving, digging, etc. I am currently looking into the Kubota TLB series L47 or M62 if we bought new. What are some good used options? Would like to stick with Kubota brand because we have a dealer nearby. To me it seems the TLB series are better to get up front rather than a regular tractor with added attachments since in the long run we will do some semi major site work? Would like to have only one machine. Hopefully I have explained in enough detail. Thanks, Scott. P.S. Would also be nice to be able to move it via f250 with appropriate trailer.

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #2  
LinesOrchids:
:welcome:to TBN

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #3  
We are planning to purchase a 35 acre tract with 2 acre pond, 3 wooded acre, and 30 acre pasture. We run a commercial greenhouse operation and so another 1-2 acres will be covered in greenhouses (adding 5-10k square feet every year or so until a total of 15-20 acres).

We currently have a forklift and mower.

I am looking into getting a tractor for the following tasks: mowing 25 acres of fields, unloading materials from semi-trucks in the 2,000 lb range, dirt moving, digging, etc.

I am currently looking into the Kubota TLB series L47 or M62 if we bought new. What are some good used options? Would like to limit advice to Kubota because we have a dealer nearby.

To me it seems the TLB series are better to get up front rather than a regular tractor with added attachments since in the long run we will do considerable site work. (?) Would like to have only one machine. (?)

Maintain the Forklift for unloading palletized material from semi-trucks. Tractors can do this, but a rear engine Forklift, with the rear engine as counterbalance and four equal size wheels, can lift and transport pallets faster and SAFER. For a front engine tractor with small front wheels and large rear wheels to unload 2,000 pound pallets you need a heavy, l-o-n-g counterbalance on the Three Point Hitch which curtails maneuverability. A loaded Forklift is much more stable than a tractor with a pallet on the FEL.

Loader-Backhoes, such as the 7,200 pound L47, are fine for construction work but not much as tractors for field work. Removing/replacing a 1,800 pound Backhoe is an awkward, potentially hazardous task and limits your choice in Three Point Hitch implements. You need very heavy implements to replace balance weight of 2,000 pound construction Backhoe. L47 is geared low and slow. Forty-seven gross horsepower limits Rotary Cutter width.

Assuming your thirty-five acres is reasonably FLAT~~~~~
A bare weight 4,000 pound, 4-WD tractor should give you plenty of tractive power for ground contact work i.e. site development.

Kubota models: L4060/L4760/L5060/L6060, MX4800/MX5200/MX5800

All based on one Kubota compact tractor heavy-chassis. Parts = tomorrow. All have an optional, fairly conveniently removable/replacable Backhoe.

Backhoe is powerful enough to trench for footers, water and power. With a claw fitted to the Backhoe and some operator patience, can cut tree roots and remove stumps up to 18". With a 750+ pound Box Blade on Three Point Hitch ample to pull dirt for greenhouse foundations.

If you want to operate a 96", twin spindle Rotary Cutter, powered by the tractor PTO, for mowing pasture at 2-1/2 to three acres per hour, you will need either L6060 or MX5800. An L6060 or MX5800 with FEL, loaded rear tires and real wheel weights will be circa 6,000 pounds operating weight, more with a Backhoe attached. Both have a combination Category I/II Three Point Hitch.

These models and predecessor models have been around for years. Predecessor models are available used.

If you have to have more tractor horsepower for faster mowing consider M7060 rather than M62. An M62 cannot spin a Rotary Cutter any wider than an L6060 or MX5800.

You can lease tractors from Kubota.

KUBOTA WEB SITE: https://www.kubotausa.com/tractors

MOWING CALCULATOR: Mowing Calcuator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

Last edited:
   / Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #4  
Welcome.

Is the commercial greenhouse a primary income or supplimental income? I only ask because if it is primary I would buy a brand new kubota from your dealer and discuss and expect a loaner if you have warranty work. I would even discuss that before purchase.

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #5  
I agree with everything jeff9366 said. Especially with lifting 2k# a lot, fork lift would be so much faster and safer.

That said, with your acreage, you might want to look at something like an m7060 to get things done quicker. If you desire HST then you’ll have to stay with the L6060. The l6060 will likely run a woods 12’ batwing they have for compacts now, but the m7060 would run a larger and heavier duty batwing if time is of essence.

For as much acreage I agree with Jeff about looking at something other than the TLB. From what I read they are made for mostly loader backhoe work and it sounds like you’ll likely be cutting fields a lot :) Or get the TLB and something separate with more HP used for the fields.

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property
Thanks for the quick responses. The only problem with the forklift is there will not be any poured slab but the head house so unloading semi via gravel wont work so well. We only unload maybe a semi per month since we usually are buying bulks materials. Our operation is primary income.

The bigger tractors are nice but want to keep something at a reasonable size. Mowing is primarily to keep insects, rodents, and weed seeds from entering our greenhouses. Needs to be a mowed buffer (that would be a priority) but would like to still mow entire property.

I will give the MX and L series another look. If two machines were an option a mini ex and track loader would be purchased. Thanks again.

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #7  
To mow 25 acres in a half day or so, you need at minimum a 10 ft wide mower. Suggest a bat wing mower. That sizes your tractor's pto horsepower to the 60-80 hp range depending on the size of the mower.

A tractor that size will weigh 7000-8000 lb with loaded rear wheels and should be more than adequate to handle 2000 lb weight on the front end loader (FEL).

The FEL is fine for scooping loose material, but it's not meant to do serious digging (risk bending the FEL arms in hard soil). A tractor is not an earth mover. What kind of digging and how much? Backhoe attachments for your tractor can do trenching and digging. But they are expensive and heavy and will have to be removed and reattached to accommodate other implements on your 3 point hitch. That can be a real chore. A used TLB might be the way to go.

Any of the major tractor brands have 60 hp (pto) tractors in their lineup. Test drive those that fit your wallet.

Good luck

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #8  
Thanks for the quick responses. The only problem with the forklift is there will not be any poured slab but the head house so unloading semi via gravel wont work so well. We only unload maybe a semi per month since we usually buy bulks materials.

There are rough terrain Fork Lifts for operating on gravel.

The bigger tractors are nice but want to keep something at a reasonable size.

But you are considering a L47 and M67~~~~??

Mowing is primarily to keep insects, rodents, and weed seeds from entering our greenhouses. Needs to be a mowed buffer.

Do not maintain a mowed buffer. Establish and maintain the buffer as bare dirt fire break. Most would use a HEAVY Tandem Disc Harrow with 22" or 24" diameter pans, slightly wider than the rear tires, for fire break maintenance.

I will give the MX and L series another look. If two machines were an option a mini ex and track loader would be purchased.

A Track Loader with a hydraulically powered, front mount, Rotary Cutter will be a bruising ride over average pasture. Hydraulically powered Rotary Cutter will be costly and require 50% more fuel on a Track Loader than relatively efficient wheeled tractor with geared PTO power. Tracks require much more maintenance than wheels. I do not consider field mowing twenty-five acres with tracked equipment a reasonable proposition, either in time nor operation cost.

Mini excavators are fine. But nothing you have posted indicates a need for a mini excavator over an appropriately sized Backhoe equipped tractor. Is there something you have not told us?

If you decide to use a tractor for unloading semi-trucks consider a 5,300 pound (bare tractor) M7060 rather than an L or MX. Its greater weight and wider stance will reduce rollover hazard. Have dealer spread the rear wheels wider than default width for increased stability.

We are using the assumption your 35 acres are reasonably flat~~~~~~

Last edited:
   / Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #9  
As you mentioned, a typical forklift won't work in a gravel driveway. Also as mentioned, regarding the backhoe, are you really going to need a backhoe all that often to justify the price of a full-on TLB?

Look for a used larger tractor to do your mowing. And think about an articulated loader for around your facilitities, like pretty much every other greenhouse uses. They can pop forks off and on quickly, you'll need a bucket to transport loose materials like soil, mulch, etc... these work much better than a tractor for these types of tasks. An you can put a skid steer quick attach on the FEL arms and run a host of skid steer attachments with ease.

With the size of your planned operation, start out renting a small, tracked excavator for any backhoe-type jobs until you can get a handle on how often and how large of a machine you may need. You may find that you can get by with a few weekend rentals at $300 a pop and be money ahead VS owning a machine like that from the get-go.

Sounds like an ambitious plan. Good luck and document the process with photos and a story. Good luck! :thumbsup:

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #10  
Since your're looking at the larger Kubota tlb's type budget maybe consider following:

A schoolmate of mine owns a pretty large local nursery with about same acres. Besides much other equipment, two Kubota's he does own are 40hp L series tractor and a Kubota R series wheel loader with backhoe. I believe the wheel loader has greater actual lift capacity (not real clear on Kubota site, but tlb's rated lift capacity at pin where wheel loader capacity listed (implied) as actual) and maneuverability makes it one of his most used machines.

Ultimately you may be in the two tractor/machine territory for your operation. For just brushhogging it may be more efficient and less costly with an older 2wd utility size tractor and appropriate brush hog and an L47 or R wheel loader for everything else. Kind of what I just saw MossRoad post!