Tough choices...

/ Tough choices... #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
Here is the pickle. I found a great deal on a Kioti CK35HST with 850 hours. Good sound tractor, very well maintained. With a 6' box blade and 5' cutter, just a hair over $12,500. Then along comes a Kubota L2501 HST, 75 hours, same 2 attachments, $15,500. I've owned a Kioti and a Bobcat tractor, both served me well, and everyone knows Kubota's reputation.

I don't want to hear about resale value, that doesn't mean anything. This will probably be my last tractor. I like the idea of more hp, but Kubota is a solid machine too. As far as dealer support, that's almost a wash, with Kioti having a slight edge. I'm thinking horsepower for the win, but it's a tough call.

It's sounds like I'm asking someone else to make the decision...lol. ****, but this is a tough call. So have fun helping me spend my money!

/ Tough choices... #2  
Buy the HEAVIER tractor.

For most tractor tasks greater chassis weight is more important than tractor horsepower. This tractor fundamental is difficult for people new to tractors to comprehend. Horsepower is only a primary consideration operating PTO powered implements.

It takes a 50% increase in bare tractor weight before you notice a significant tractor capability increase. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Heavier tractors have more tractive power pulling ground contact implements. Greater mass of heavy-chassis tractors increases tractor stability when transporting loads in the FEL bucket, the most rollover prone of routine tractor tasks. Heavier tractors have larger wheels and tires better able to bridge holes, ruts and downed tree limbs, yielding a smoother, less disturbing passage over rough ground.

Safe hillside operation demands more tractor weight than flat land operation. Heavier tractors have wider wheel spreads making heavier tractors less laterally unstable. Rear wheel spreads may be decreased or increased after jacking up the rear.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling light implements in order to buy heavier, wider, implements for a heavier tractor you take a hit in depreciation. Passing time with multiple browsers is a pain. ((Ask me how I know.))

Last edited:
   / Tough choices... #3  
That is tough choice.
I would lean towards Kubota that's if different in HP not a concern...which model will you feel more comfortable operating.

/ Tough choices... #4  
Ck35, assuming this is an older model without the emissions stuff.

/ Tough choices... #5  
850 hours vs 75; That would be the deal maker for me, all other things being equal and if both were up to the tasks I wanted it for.

/ Tough choices... #6  
I say go with the Kioti, bigger, heavier, more hp and less money. Since you don't care about resale, hang the kubota. It's more money, smaller, lighter, and weaker.

/ Tough choices... #7  
The hours wouldn't worry me on the Kioti. To me, 10 extra hp for $3k less would be a pretty strong inventive. If you know you have a good dealer who isn't going anywhere, that's probably the direction I'd go.

/ Tough choices... #8  
The hours wouldn't worry me on the Kioti. To me, 10 extra hp for $3k less would be a pretty strong inventive. If you know you have a good dealer who isn't going anywhere, that's probably the direction I'd go.
Good point. He didn't mention the year of each tractor, but upon reflection I could have bought a new L2501 with a box blade last fall for around 16K$.

/ Tough choices...
Good point. He didn't mention the year of each tractor, but upon reflection I could have bought a new L2501 with a box blade last fall for around 16K$.

Sorry about that. The Kioti is a 2008, the Kubota is a 2015. I'm not hung up on model year, just how well the tractor has been maintained. I have to admit, I'm leaning heavily toward the Kioti. Its a combination of price and features. I love the adjustable links and the pinned stabilizer bars. I've never been a fan of turnbuckles. But a Kubota is a Kubota. It's seriously a tough call. I've always thought the 'bota's loader looks more substantial, but the Kioti loader specs out the same give or take 20lbs.
kioti2.jpgkioti1.jpgKubota1.jpg

/ Tough choices... #10  
Buy the Kioti...
850 hours is not that big of a deal IMHO...
$3,000 is...
Just for reference I bought a 2900 hour Ford 4610 SU 4 years ago...
Still runs fine...
It was a 2 owner tractor and had good maintenance...
If you put 100 hours per year on the tractor in 20 years you will have 2900 hours on it...
If you decide to sell it in 10 years with the cost of everything going up you will still probably get what you paid for it...

BTW my uncle lives in Marion...
Beautiful area...