Buying Advice In a Quandry

/ In a Quandry #31  
I have operated articulated loaders, fork lifts, man lifts etc., not farm tractors per se, and I am a mechanic by trade, so maintaining the equipment will not be an issue in my mind... nearest Branson dealer is 500 miles, so that may be an issue

This says to me that you are a perfect candidate for a used tractor. Most compact and many utility tractors are used by private owners who put 100 hours per year or fewer on them. Lots of cream puffs around. For 35 grand, you can get a used 50-ish hp 2wd utility tractor with loader for field work and a 40-ish hp 4wd compact with loader for other stuff. I have three - a SCUT, a large CUT and a small CUT on 53 acres. Part of the reasoning for that is to teach my boys how to run the equipment and help me out. This concept may be applicable depending upon the age of your grandkids.

/ In a Quandry #32  
^^and, by the way, I have much less than 35 grand in those three machines, including the equipment they operate. Maybe 30k, tops.

/ In a Quandry #34  
I agree with Jeff9366 also - made a lot of good points.
I have found this forum excellent for information, and then I go to the tractordata.com site for the specs and details, attachment options, manufacturing dates and information, for any machine that I want to know more about.
The Brand specific discussion forums on tractorbynet.com have been particularly useful for ownership perspectives and experiences. And this forum is the best that I have come across.

/ In a Quandry #35  
...... nearest Branson dealer is 500 miles, so that may be an issue

Are you talking about KY or are you planning on buying in NY and then transporting to KY? There are several Branson dealers in/near KY.

/ In a Quandry #36  
I would think a 50-60 hp tractor would be about right. 4 wheel drive and a loader woud be nice. Might be outside your budget, but a cab is something to think about. Lot of different jobs on 100 acres and a lot of different weather in KY.