Buying Advice How much tractor?

/ How much tractor? #1  

Joe Findell

Tractor
None
Hello all.
I would like to hear some advice on how much tractor I REALLY need. I will be pulling a 5' land plane to maintain a mile long gravel, sandy road. I will bush hog 4-6 acres that I currently mow with my 54' Zero Turn Hustler. I may pick up some other bush hog jobs but that is not my priority. And of course shuffle some boats around to maintain the field they park in. I have read and understand that the right combination of HP and size matched with the proper attachments are what will determine the correct set up.

I have looked at and leaning heavily towards the TYM T234. The dealer is 45min away, are a full service shop. The factory is not much farther (Wilson) and I feel they will treat me right. They also carry Mahindra which is what we discussed first. The TYM has the exact same engine, just a tad smaller frame but is a good bit cheaper with only 1 year difference in warranty. John Deer is also close by and I am sure there are others.

Last thing is that I am not interested in spending more money to be able to do these tasks quicker. It is not my source of income and it is stuff I enjoy doing.

Please advise on anything that I may want to consider that will help me make the right choice the first time.

Thanks in advance.

/ How much tractor? #2  
How big of a bush hog are you thinking about mowing with?

I could do all the tasks you suggest with my John Deere 455 lol, it could run a 4-5ft land plane and I could bush hog a field a few times a year with just the MMM and mow the rest of the yard the rest of the year.

If you don’t actually need a loader and just mowing tasks, you don’t need more than 30hp.

/ How much tractor?
I will purchase a 5' bush hog at some point. My buddy has a spare that I may buy.

I also looked at a John Deer 3032E (31hp, 25hp @ PTO) no loader and it is still $2000 more than the TYM T234 (25hp, 19hp @ PTO) with a loader.

I am told the TYM is capable of handling the plane and bush hog with no problem.

/ How much tractor? #4  
I have never heard of TYM, but to me, 19 pto hp sounds low for a 5' brush hog.

/ How much tractor? #5  
You will not be happy trying to push a 5' bush hog with 19 pto hp. I would recommend 35 engine hp with a 5' bush hog.

Five foot land plane grading scraper will pull easily with the TYM.

Last edited:
   / How much tractor? #6  
Since you're not in a hurry, brush hogging 4-6 acres can be done with that little TYM and a 4-5 ft hog. My first tractor was a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST which I used to hog about 8 acres on my 10-acre place. Figure about 1 acre per hour with a 4-ft mower. Cost: $12.6K for the tractor, $500 for the mower.

Good luck

/ How much tractor? #7  
If your 4-6 acres is currently mowable with a zero turn why use a tractor at all? A zero turn will mow way faster than a comparable sized tractor assuming the terrain allows it and it isn’t overgrown.

/ How much tractor? #8  
For pasture mowing, I think your 19 HP TYM would work fine with a 5 foot bush hog. I wouldn't spend more for the John Deere (made in India or China) and you will find lots of uses for the FEL on the TYM. As long as you have a dealer for parts and repairs close by, the TYM will be fine.

/ How much tractor? #9  
About Our Company - TYM Tractors

Since TYM is a 67 year old tractor company and they use nationally known brands of engines and the FEL no net cost option over JD would be of an interest to me personally since having a FEL for the last 8 years and am in the process of adding the antique one arm Ford 711 FEL to the 3000.

/ How much tractor? #10  
Joe Findell
:welcome: to TBN i run a 20hp at the pto and it will handel a 5ft hog just fine if grass gets to high take a 4ft cut also the 234 will have less emissions controls I vote for TYM.