Tractor Sizing Backhoe comparison

/ Backhoe comparison
I'm trying to not overspend lol. That's always difficult.

But I should add that I will likely very rarely have to trailer it. Only plan to use here at the house.

/ Backhoe comparison #12  
You didn't mention a budget. How much are you able to spend?

/ Backhoe comparison #13  
The BIGGEST challenge with a subcompact is ground clearance. Be sure to understand this before purchasing, as it can significantly limit where machine can be used.

/ Backhoe comparison
   / Backhoe comparison
The BIGGEST challenge with a subcompact is ground clearance. Be sure to understand this before purchasing, as it can significantly limit where machine can be used.

Understood. Before we moved back to MO from TN I owned 35 acres and had a deere 34 20 with a 300cx loader so I get what you're saying.

/ Backhoe comparison #16  
I know a guy that has a 1984 Ford 555 backhoe cheap:)

/ Backhoe comparison #17  
I'm trying to not overspend lol. That's always difficult.

But I should add that I will likely very rarely have to trailer it. Only plan to use here at the house.

If you buy a just RIGHT SIZE machine, you will soon buy the next... RIGHT SIZE machine.
Don't make the too small mistake.
You really should consider a low hour used machine.
Tell local dealers of your needs/ wants.

/ Backhoe comparison
If you buy a just RIGHT SIZE machine, you will soon buy the next... RIGHT SIZE machine.
Don't make the too small mistake.
You really should consider a low hour used machine.
Tell local dealers of your needs/ wants.

Solid advice. Planning to do just that this coming week.

Hoping to capitalize on a good deal from a manufacturer on a new one though.

/ Backhoe comparison #19  
A lot of good suggestions previously. I have an LS scut, the mt125. It is a TLB. I compared all of the brands, specifically the specs and capacities, and the price. I pretty much eliminated both JD and Kub. Right off the bat, due mainly to the outrageous price difference (5-7K difference). Mahindra was eliminated due to cost also, secondary fit and finish. Down to 3 at that point: LS (mt125), Massey (1720), and Kioti (cs2410). None of these dealers were anywhere close (between 400 to 500 miles away). Re-compared specs to price, summarizing "best bang for the buck". Hands down, LS provided that. The Massey and LS were the closet in specs, but the best deal for the Massey was $1000 more. I ended up purchasing the LS mt125 for $16,900 for the TLB w/ a 12" bucket and a PHD w/ 9" auger. I drove 1100 miles to pick it up.

Look at the tractor dealer's manufacturers ratings (what dealers think of the different manufacturers), Massey, Kioti, and LS are up there. How many complaints are the owners making about the respective brands? Lots of things to consider. Some folks have to have great dealer or service , others not so much.

I have subdivided my property and am in process of building a small house on the adjoining property. So far I have trenches 350' for power service, installed a septic system (2 leach trenches 2' wide, 5' deep, 110' long, plus the hole for the tank: 6' x 6' x 12'), moved 200 tons of stone for the septic, and dug another 300' trench for water lines. Graded and leveled the building site. Will be putting in a 400' driveway (grading away topsoil and placing stone). This little tractor can do what I need it to do. I also have a 6' finish mower and a 54" heavy box blade.

This scut tractor will fit into places and work where a compact won't go. Would a compact do the work faster? Sure, but it depends on what is being done. Digging a trench using a 12" bucket? It will take the same amount of time. Spreading stone? Well the bigger compact will pick up and spread more, how much more depends on the bucket size, bigger tractor...bigger bucket. I'm not going to be picking up giant bales of hay.. Maybe 2 or 3 small bales. I have carried 15- 80# bags of concrete in the bucket. I will be digging around 300 post holes this summer to fence in a pasture. This little tractor was worth every penny. Saving almost 10 grand over buying a similar larger compact paid for my septic system and an addition onto the garage to house the tractor and implements. In a quite a few years, if I buy a 20-40 acre parcel, I may consider getting a larger tractor.

If you are considering a scut, a good U-tube site is "Tony's tractor page". He has many videos of his scut at work. He has owned JD, Massey, and currently an LS