Used Montana vs New LS

/ Used Montana vs New LS #1  

blt93932

Tractor
looking
I was recently looking at a used G series LS tractor, however really felt like I should bump up to an XR class. I was just about set on a LS XR4140 hydro for $23,700, when the dealer also showed me a 2005, I believe, Montana 4344 hydro he had for $12,900 with 530 hours.

He said that model is an LS, same class of tractor, about 400lbs lighter, smaller tires (43" instead of the 48"). IS there any major difference on why I should spend an additional 10k? The financing works out to be about $100 a month different due to new having a longer 84 month term vs used at 60 months.

Are the loaders comparable? I measured the Montana as a 66" bucket, LS 72", not sure if the LS is much stronger or not. He was saying pretty much everything else was the same. I'd like to find a used backhoe as well, which makes the price of the montana a little more enticing, and he has a bush hog 750H for $2900.

He gave me a quote of $29,000 for a new XR4140h with backhoe, but now we're getting a little too high for me.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #2  
I would buy the used one and save 10k... 10k buys a grapple, hydraulic top and tilt, implements...

Do you really need a backhoe? I have two friends with them... I still don't see the need to borrow them, yet!!! They sit in their yard 90% of the time.

/ Used Montana vs New LS
If I do get a backhoe, it will be something used. I'm trying to find information on the FEL of that montana, and other specs to make sure it's comparable to a 4 series LS.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #5  
I was recently looking at a used G series LS tractor, however really felt like I should bump up to an XR class. I was just about set on a LS XR4140 hydro for $23,700, when the dealer also showed me a 2005, I believe, Montana 4344 hydro he had for $12,900 with 530 hours.

He said that model is an LS, same class of tractor, about 400lbs lighter, smaller tires (43" instead of the 48"). IS there any major difference on why I should spend an additional 10k? The financing works out to be about $100 a month different due to new having a longer 84 month term vs used at 60 months.

Are the loaders comparable? I measured the Montana as a 66" bucket, LS 72", not sure if the LS is much stronger or not. He was saying pretty much everything else was the same. I'd like to find a used backhoe as well, which makes the price of the montana a little more enticing, and he has a bush hog 750H for $2900.

He gave me a quote of $29,000 for a new XR4140h with backhoe, but now we're getting a little too high for me.

Double check the year on the R4344. According to this site that model came out in 2007 and was discontinued in 2010. Yes, it was built by LS and has a Mitsubishi engine. Mitsubishi makes very good engines.
Montana R4344 | Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
Also, if you really need a BH $2900 is a great price for that BH750H.

Member Sackett2 in Teg's link owns a 4344 and can probably answer a lot of your questions about the tractor and loader.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #6  
I also would buy the used one and rent a backhoe when needed. The older (Mitsu vs Shibaura) machine seems like a bargain. Consider that if your needs/uses ever changed you'd be glad you didn't spend too much starting out. Either FEL will be plenty ... esp compared to 3 of my 4. :rolleyes:

"Brand new" is nice when buying a car or pickup, and tho' tractors hold their value well, when the 'new' (and some shine) wears off you'd still have the machine and a larger payment .. for longer, it seems. Paying-off sooner doesn't appeal? I'd never gamble on 'the money I'm gonna make' when investing in a tool.Got 8 yrs of work lined up, that needs 'more/bigger/better?

My first m'cycle, first car, first truck, first backhoe were all bought used/cheap and taught me what I'd want 'next time' (if there is one) after gaining experience with each one. You may impress your friends by getting more tractor, but to impress some of us it'd be by getting more seat time/dollar. BTDT. You?

/ Used Montana vs New LS
You're probably right on the year, I just misheard or forgot. Seems like it's a better deal than the new one, also less emissions stuff going on, the dealer kinda gave me an ominous warning on choosing diesel carefully around here due to engine problems with tier 4 and dirty diesel.

/ Used Montana vs New LS
I'm the same, smart money always tells me to buy used, the only appealing thing is the warranty new, but it's basically a $10,000 insurance policy that might never get used! And since I do my own wrenching on things, $10,000 can buy quite a lot of parts.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #9  
If you will be buying diesel in small quantities (as in 5 gallons containers) high volume truck stops go through a lot of fuel and is a good place to get quality clean fuel. I haven't heard of any problems with tier 4 engines. Most problems relate to the emission controls on them and IMO its usually operator error. I've had my tier 4 LS 4 years now and run clean fuel, keep the RPM's up when using the tractor and during the regeneration cycle and have had no problems. Other problems are fuel gelling in colder climates which you shouldn't have to worry about.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #10  
You're probably right on the year, I just misheard or forgot. Seems like it's a better deal than the new one, also less emissions stuff going on, the dealer kinda gave me an ominous warning on choosing diesel carefully around here due to engine problems with tier 4 and dirty diesel.

Regardless of your tier of engine, clean fuel is a must with diesel engines. A bit of water in the storage tank and you will get algae growing which is very bad. I store about 300 gallons of fuel at a time, use maybe 100 gallons per year and never had any issues with water, algae or dirty fuel. MY fuel filters last for hundreds of hours before needing to be changed. My fuel is dispensed via a 12v pump thru a 10 micron filter before getting to my tractor or RTV tank. Tractors and RTV are stored in a covered shed unheated but protected from blowing rain etc. My fuel is stored in completely enclosed building along with my boat and lawnmowers. Never any condensate in my tanks. Enough about fuel.
I too think I would go with the used tractor with backhoe. I used my backhoe for hundreds of hours the first couple of years, digging up rocks, dead trees, scrub brush and trees and digging holes for new plants and dead animals. Now not so much, but it is there when I need to use it. I don't agree that renting/contracting is the way to go if you have 100 or more hours of use right now. Even a small hoe will cost you $40 or more per hour to rent and that is $4000 in cost and you still wont have anything to show for it other than a little bit of work completed. Many jobs that you need to do wont be more than 15 minutes work and you wont ever rent a hoe for that so the work will likely never get done. Trying to save up jobs then rent is not likely to happen either. From my experience, jobs need to be done right now, not 6 months or a year later when you have accumulated enough work to justify renting. $2900 is cheap for a hoe even if not a powerful one like on an excavator or commercial TLB, it will still get the job done in most instances.
I have over 650 hours on my TLB and all are using the backhoe/FEL to dig and move dirt. That equates to $26,000 @ a mere $40 per hour for the rent which is about the cheapest end of the scale and much more than that if I would have had to haul in a small backhoe each time using my truck and trailer or rent a trailer.