Buying Advice tractor advice for lowcountry land work

/ tractor advice for lowcountry land work #1  

Lowcountry Rebel

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM 603
I'm buying 43 acres in the SC lowcountry that will need a good bit of tractor work- all flat land. Currently has 7 acres in fields, some fire lanes, some cutovers that have grown up and some pines. It has a 1/4 mile dirt driveway to maintain also.

Planning to open up more land for fields, dig some ponds, plant dove fields and food plots.

I know that I need a loader, root rake/grapple, disc harrow, box blade, and everything else.

I will probably buy a Kubota if I buy new- I already have a working relationship with the dealer through construction equipment and am on a first name basis with them. They are also only 5 miles away.

4x4 is a must, open cab is fine- all my construction equipment is open. I have read lots on here concerning weighting for work and stability and also about horsepower.

What I haven't read is about getting stuck in the mud/ soft ground and that will be a concern with some of my planned work.

I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

/ tractor advice for lowcountry land work #2  
We're really good at spending other peoples money. What's your budget?

/ tractor advice for lowcountry land work #5  
The R3 tires will spread out the weight the most, but once you are stuck, R1 tires will have the best shot of getting out of the mud. Kind of a double edge sword....

/ tractor advice for lowcountry land work #6  
Look at buying 2 tractors/machines one big enough for your need, the other big enough to carry equipment/material to get your other one unstuck.

/ tractor advice for lowcountry land work #7  
Didn't somebody on here say that they were going to sell a larger size (9000 series?) Kubota soon? About what you would need. Add a winch for the soft spots!
David from jax

/ tractor advice for lowcountry land work #8  
Think you need to think on what you will be doing with this land say in 5 and then 10 years. Getting it opened up to me is construction equipment more than ag, for construction equipment is built more for handing wood such as trees, stumps and ag is not.

Think on the use of the land, horse farm, hay, produce, and then think on what equipment you will need long term. It is costly to begin without long term direction and have to buy and replacing equipment because you realize you planned wrong.

Maybe the best salesman I have every know was Tommy Stuckey, sold me my first tractor. He would not talk till I was clear in what I needed it to do.

/ tractor advice for lowcountry land work #9  
Put $10K into an old but mostly sound 60 HP range backhoe. Do not worry about slop in pins and steering. Replace old hoses as they blow. I went open platform since it was easier to mount than the same hoe with a full cab. I live in a swampy area and backhoe has always unstuck itself so far. The hoe is awesome for pulling out the regular tractor when I am working my myself.

I am an old iron type of guy but Kubota has a very nice line up if $$$ is not a major factor.

/ tractor advice for lowcountry land work #10  
R-1 Tires with rear duals.