Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal?

/ Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I see less and less in my country. Years ago, they were #2 behind ford in my area. I never hear any complaints from owners. They look to be well built. Am I missing something?

/ Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #2  
MF was once very big 60-70 years ago both in Canada (where the company originated), in the U.S., England and Australia. My second tractor was a vintage 1964 MF135 diesel. A great tractor. A classic that holds its value very well. But the brand was sold several times and just became one brand of several in large tractor conglomerates, now AGCO. Today, MF is not the big name brand it was long ago. Deere, Kubota, Mahindra, LS, etc. pretty much eat MF's lunch these days. My impression is that MF is not as aggressive as these brands in grabbing market share for whatever reason.

/ Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #3  
I know why I've been shopping MF as been the most impressive for the price. It seems like they're trying to get serious about taking more market share again.

I know they're redoing their website soon, and have been very responsive to questions.

/ Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #4  
I have wondered the same thing.

Not long ago, I was shopping for my first tractor. I looked at John Deere and Kubota. Then Kioti and Massey Ferguson. Two common themes emerged: "Deere tractors are overpriced," and "Massey Ferguson builds a good tractor." I discussed tractor brands with many competing dealers but never heard any complaint or criticism of Massey products.

I suspect that market dominance by Deere and Kubota, and the sheer number of dealers, is tough for any competing brand to crack through. Many posters here advocate buying a tractor only if that brand has a local dealer. I don't subscribe to that, but it is often repeated. If new buyers only buy if a local dealer is present, that's going to tilt a lot of sales to Deere and Kubota.

/ Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #5  
MF was once very big 60-70 years ago both in Canada (where the company originated), in the U.S., England and Australia. My second tractor was a vintage 1964 MF135 diesel. A great tractor. A classic that holds its value very well. But the brand was sold several times and just became one brand of several in large tractor conglomerates, now AGCO. Today, MF is not the big name brand it was long ago. Deere, Kubota, Mahindra, LS, etc. pretty much eat MF's lunch these days. My impression is that MF is not as aggressive as these brands in grabbing market share for whatever reason.

AGCO TRACTOR BRANDS: Massey-Ferguson, Fendt, Valtra, Challenger. (AGCO also has implement brands.)

AGCO's marketing efforts are divided between competing dealers and vary internationally. Fendt and Valtra are important ag tractor brands in Europe.

Kubota has only Kubota to focus on. Land Pride and Vermeer implements will likely change name to Kubota in the next one or two years.

Kubota's dedication to 'residential' tractors allowed them to establish the thick dealer organization Kubota has today.
Homeowners, gardeners and part-time farmers are a much larger customer base than full time farmers. Other brands scramble, today, to take some residential tractor market share. But since all small tractors are imported others have a difficult time differentiating themselves ~~~ therefore low price becomes key factor ~~~~ and low price and low profit is not 'fun' for companies with publicly held ownership, like Agco.

Last edited:
   / Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #6  
I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in the northeast, as the small dairy farms (family farms) folded, so did many of the tractor dealerships including Massy Ferguson. Along with that there is a huge difference between which manufacturers commercial farmers choose and which hobby farmers and suburbanites choose.

/ Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #7  
I used to know more about the large tractor market than I do now - our law firm represented AGCO, Deere, Steiger, IH, etc in the mid-west. My knowledge on that subject is really out of date. I know a bit more about CUTs because I've been a purchaser in recent years and did my due-diligence before purchase. The issue is, there are really a glut of very well made CUTs out there, each with its strengths and weaknesses but for the most part, all pretty darn good. So, it often comes down to reputation (color) and price.

The imports generally have it all over the US manufacturers in price so they are able to keep up sales through brand-loyalty and dealer networks - Deere is a prime example of this. For years running Yanmar engines, and aluminum components but still having the perception of being all-American and the machine to own and having a dealer only a few miles from darn-near everyone. You can buy a great little LS CUT for a fraction of the price of an equivalent Deere, with a great warranty, but you have to travel a long way to get any warranty service you you need a flat-bed and a strong truck to make the trek.

It's a tough market place and, as one member said, MF has maybe not been as aggressive as it might in keeping its foothold.

/ Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #8  
Up here it's lack of dealer networks. Many good, small family dealers closed as they started doing like Tim Hortons and many of the class 8 truck manufacturers.....want one owner to have three or more locations, or none.

I love my Kubota and am completely satisfied now that I have it, but I had fully intended on buying a Massey Ferguson if the dealers weren't so far away.

/ Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #9  
I'll simply state why I'm not in the market for a Massey Ferguson. The issue is that I don't know where they're built. They're a conglomeration of parts from all over the world with an American name slapped on them. My research tells me they have Iseki engines, or maybe the entire tractors are built by Iseki, I don't know for sure, with Chinese loaders, and an American name.

I believe they're good quality and represent a good value. If I can't buy American, then I like to buy Japanese. Massey is partly or mostly made in Japan, I don't know, but I'd prefer to buy a Kubota or a Yanmar because I can point to it and honestly say that it's a Kubota or Yanmar, made in Japan. I can't do that with Massey.

Last edited:
   / Why is Massy Ferguson not a bigger deal? #10  
Kubota's dedication to 'residential' tractors allowed them to establish the thick dealer organization Kubota has today.

I agree with this. But in my area, either their focus is changing or local dealers are out of step. My tractor budget was $50K +/- for a Kubota L6060 tractor. Cash in hand. The response I got from Kubota dealer(s) was pitiful and I sometimes felt I was an interruption to their business by walking in and asking about a tractor purchase. I spent a lot of time in the showroom or lot waiting for someone to acknowledge me. I developed a sense the dealers sell more than they can get from Kubota. My next guess is they have begun steering their purchases toward ag or commercial customers that will come back for lots of add-on goodies and regular service in their shop. That is not me-- I am just a lowly one-unit residential customer who (gasp) does my own oil changes.

To clarify, all the other brands were visibly wanting my business, at multiple dealerships. Kubota wasn't. At multiple dealerships. So all I can do is guess.