Buying Advice Help me spend my money!!! Lets buy a tractor!!!

/ Help me spend my money!!! Lets buy a tractor!!! #1  

chado613

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 624, IH B414, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota M7060
5 years ago, we purchased a horse boarding facility /farm.
It came with the IH 624 tractor.
We are looking at purchasing something new or new to us. (0% financing is pretty appetizing though)
I am looking for a suitable machine based on the information below.
Current Tractor
  • 1967 International Harvester 624 with front end loader (2WD) / 58HP

The Farm
  • 152 Acres
  • Approx. 60 is hay field
Implements
  • 60 (5ft) Bush Hog
  • IH 990 9 Haybine
  • New Holland 269 hay baler with bale thrower
  • Farm King Finishing Mower (7')
  • McKee SNO Lander 7 snow blower
  • Box Blade
  • Speed Co post hole digger w 12" auger
  • 3 point Hydraulic wood splitter
  • New Holland 212 Manure Spreader

Main Tasks
  • Hay - Cut and Bail small squares
  • Horse Manure management/spreading
  • Grade driveway (700ft)
  • Snow removal
  • Drill post holes for fencing
  • Bush Hogging

Must Haves
  • Front end loader
  • AWD/4WD

Would be nice to have
  • Back hoe Attachment
  • Cab with HVAC ! 😊

Closest dealerships
  • Kubota (Do not really care for the people that work there)
  • New Holland (Looks like it could close at any second)
  • Massey

Preferred Brands (In no particular order)
  • Kubota
  • Massey Ferguson
  • Case/IH
  • New Holland

Preliminary Budget
$60 000.00ish

I guess I am looking for advice on make/model/size.....any help is greatly appreciated!

/ Help me spend my money!!! Lets buy a tractor!!! #2  
$60ish, even a Canadian $60ish, gives you a lot of options. I would look into a crystal ball regarding the future of your 269 baler. A great machine, a real oldie but goody, but an oldie. You might want to divine if you would be leaning towards a round baler in the not too distant future as that could drive your horsepower needs. I'm thinking you want to be a minimum 60 horsepower.
I'm also thinking that you need to be more accepting about local dealerships as you've pretty much ruled out 2 of your local 3 dealers. I'd see who else is within an hour or so of you. Someone is going to suggest a cab for your tractor and while I generally think that cabs are for wusses, it does snow a lot in your area. I'm thinking you should look at Case IH, N.H. , Massey (you Canadians tend to love them), and J.D. I've never been a big fan of Kubota agriculture but a lot of that is the dork at the dealership. Have fun, keep us posted.

/ Help me spend my money!!! Lets buy a tractor!!! #3  
You might get into the ballpark of a Kioti 7320.
How close is the next dealer.
You may have to expand your horizon since you have no confidence in the dealers close to you.

No matter which brand you decide for, stay with a gear version. The hydros might not like you pulling a spreader in the long run.

Is a backhoe essential in your daily needs?

/ Help me spend my money!!! Lets buy a tractor!!!
The new holland dealership use to sell kioti. But they lost it...hence why they are going to close...
There are other dealers within an hour which I prefer to deal with..the dealers listed are within a 30 min drive.

Backhoe is not essential and it I could do with out it. I have never used the tractor mount type and am not even sure if they are any good

I've never been a big fan of Kubota agriculture but a lot of that is the dork at the dealership. Have fun said:
Must be a Kubota thing....they are like that here as well

/ Help me spend my money!!! Lets buy a tractor!!! #6  
Your IH 624 exists in a weird space in Kubota's lineup. Horsepower wise anything from a MX5800 up would work. Weight wise...you have to go all the way to the M5-91 to get something that ties it.

The 624 is a tillage tractor. Most of its modern competitors are utility tractors that rely on horsepower over weight.

Tractors to consider as a direct replacement:

Case 75C
Kubota M5-91
New Holland T4.75
Massey 4707

Now, the list above is for a direct replacement, that will have the same or better capabilities as the 624, both in PTO tasks(horsepower), and in hauling/tillage tasks(weight). As well as having similar or better 3pt lift stats. The thing is, I think any one of them would be gross overkill for your usage.

For a small hay operation with the equipment you listed out a Kubota M7060 or equivalent will work, especially if you keep the IH around as a spare.

/ Help me spend my money!!! Lets buy a tractor!!! #7  
For Kubota are you talking about Hartington or Anderson? Both deal Kubota and Case-IH.

When I was looking a couple of years ago (smaller tractor than you're looking at) I visited both these dealers but much preferred the guy I dealt with at Anderson - Mark Bronson I believe it was plus they are closer to me. As far as their service goes they dealt with a couple of minor warranty issues well though I think one of those issues they should have caught and fixed before delivery. Later when they installed the rear remotes they did leave one hydraulic fitting loose - I'm sure they would have come out to fix it had I bothered to ask but you'd kind of expect that to be done right the first time. As an aside I know green wasn't on your list but I have not had good experience with the Deere dealer in Belleville and would not go back there, ever.

Good luck, with your budget you should be able to find a great upgrade for your IH.

Your IH 624 exists in a weird space in Kubota's lineup. Horsepower wise anything from a MX5800 up would work. Weight wise...you have to go all the way to the M5-91 to get something that ties it.

The 624 is a tillage tractor. Most of its modern competitors are utility tractors that rely on horsepower over weight.

Tractors to consider as a direct replacement:

Case 75C
Kubota M5-91
New Holland T4.75
Massey 4707

Now, the list above is for a direct replacement, that will have the same or better capabilities as the 624, both in PTO tasks(horsepower), and in hauling/tillage tasks(weight). As well as having similar or better 3pt lift stats. The thing is, I think any one of them would be gross overkill for your usage.

For a small hay operation with the equipment you listed out a Kubota M7060 or equivalent will work, especially if you keep the IH around as a spare.

Thanks TheMadOne for the feedback....I would like to be able have the ability to do round bales in the future as well so some overkill would be ok

For Kubota are you talking about Hartington or Anderson? Both deal Kubota and Case-IH.

When I was looking a couple of years ago (smaller tractor than you're looking at) I visited both these dealers but much preferred the guy I dealt with at Anderson - Mark Bronson I believe it was plus they are closer to me. As far as their service goes they dealt with a couple of minor warranty issues well though I think one of those issues they should have caught and fixed before delivery. Later when they installed the rear remotes they did leave one hydraulic fitting loose - I'm sure they would have come out to fix it had I bothered to ask but you'd kind of expect that to be done right the first time. As an aside I know green wasn't on your list but I have not had good experience with the Deere dealer in Belleville and would not go back there, ever.

Good luck, with your budget you should be able to find a great upgrade for your IH.

Hartington.....Anderson has been good for me with the limited interactions I have had.

Hartington makes me cringe every time I go in there.....its like I am causing them an inconvenience when I ask to buy something

/ Help me spend my money!!! Lets buy a tractor!!! #10  
I have a Branson 8050 it would do everything that you have listed and do a good job at it.
That said, I have heard that branson is dropping that model and is promoting the 7845 in it's place, 1000# lighter, smaller tires, and a much lighter looking front axle.
I'd look at a New Holland T4-75 or larger and the new Zetor line specs out good.