30 Acres and 20 Years

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years #1  

eonblue

Tractor
none yet
Hello all, been reading this forum for quite a while on and off for over a year since we bought this property. I am however new to tractors so I seek the infinite wisdom of TBN. :D

Homesite:

25 Acres of 15-20 yr old mixed hardwood(oak, hickory, cherry, maple). Timber stand has been unmanaged after selective high grade cut 15-20 years ago, however most of the stand at this point is dominated by 10-16" hardwood leaving the understory pretty manageable.
2 acres of yard around primary home
2 acres of yard/pasture around secondary home(for my mom and newly minted grandmother)

Land is rolling hills and flat ridgetops. Most of the hills are manageable but significant. Soil is deep silt loam and very good for pasturing(with a little lime that is).

Immediate Plans:

-General cleaning up of the fallen dead wood
-harvest firewood
-cut trails around woods
-maintain 1200' gravel drive
-bushog small pasture around secondary home
-till family garden
-general landscaping around primary home
-couple small dirt work projects

Long Term Plans

-Slowly establish areas of silvopasture(pasture leaving large trees) and acre or two at a time. This will include:
- brush hogging 1" saplings and other underbrush​
-Chainsaw clearing small/moderate amount of 3-5" trees and larger tree's where necessary to get proper light penetration in canopy​
-prepping the ground for forage. Reading the food plot forum I gather this will involve liming and discing​
-eventually fence in pasture and graze a few animals
-plant a small fruit tree orchard
-skid the odd log for personal lumber or sale
-occasional aeration of lawn(no mowing)
-all kinds of small projects I probably haven't even thought of yet

General

I know there are more efficient tools to do some of this and that it may even be cheaper to hire it out, but the point of this property was to work to make it our own. I am 37 yrs old with a new daughter(my first), wife and grandmother moving onto the property. We all love being outside and working outside and we are not in a hurry. What I am not interested in doing is having the place dozer cleared wholesale. We want to live with the property and mold it slowly so we can see what its becoming and adjust accordingly.

Tractor and Implements

35-40HP 4WD with HST(Kioti CK3510/4020 or Kubota L3901)
R4 tires (filled with rimguard for the hills and FEL work)
2-3 rear remotes
FEL w/3rd function and Grapple
Box Blade
Medium duty rotary cutter like a Woods BB60X or something of that nature

That is to start with the plan to add implements as needed and or rent them. My budget is around 25-30k.

My question to you guys is, am I being naive or foolish here? Am I missing anything? The last thing I want to do is sell my wife on grand visions of the future and sell her on this kind of investment only to find out I can't do any of it with this type of equipment. As I said...... Ive been reading a lot around here but the verdict on some of the land clearing type of work I want to do is still pretty fuzzy to me. I worry about that given that its a significant part of the long term plan. That being said, I am not at all scared of hard work.

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years #2  
Kubota mx 5200 with HST My vote:)

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years #3  
40-50 hp 4x4 with fel and a set of rear remotes. Lots of Kubotas on craigslist around you or a little farther south that are good priced. If you are going to look new call beshears in anniston al. They beat any dealers price withen a 100 miles of Bham when I got mine and they will deliver to you. Sign papers when they drop it off.

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years #4  
I think you're right on the money. A well equipped L3901 will accomplish all you want. Since you're molding the property slowly over time I think the L3901 is a good call. Pick up a riding mower or zero turn for mowing your lawns.

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years #5  
I'd go with a heavy farm tractor like the mx series mentioned above since you aren't going to need the nimbleness of the L size. On a farm, weight is your friend.

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years #6  
I'd go with at least the MX. A good rule for putting lime on hills is that you want the tractor to weigh at least as much as the loaded lime spreader. So for a small spreader like a groundbuster or similar you could just squeak by with the L3901, but it really limits your options, especially if you want to buy used. A lot of smaller(5 ton) ag spreaders can be had pretty cheap as they're simply not big enough for working farms any more. In your area it's probably all BBI and Chandlers on the used market.(I may have done some research recently, thinking about putting in more food plots)

Hauling wood is another area where the MX would come in handy. My L3301, which is the same frame and engine as the L3901, just with a different tune on the engine, has a habit of spinning three wheels if I get a bit overeager trying to skid a log. I've been looking for a second tractor pretty much since I got the L, just because I need something with more pull than it can give me.

Also, the L3901 would be hard pressed to do a lot of shredding of 1" material with a 72 inch cutter. I'm not saying it won't do it. I'm saying that having some extra beef in the tractor would be nice.

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years #7  
The title got me to thinking... we've had 20 acres for 30 years... :laughing:

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years
Seeing a lot of votes for MX series in here which I understand, but unless Im missing something, when I go to Kubota and build one of these its close to 35k without implements.

MX4800HST is 32k with only FEL.
Grand L4060HST is 32k with only FEL.
L4701HST 31k with FEL.

No rear remotes or 3rd function.

The only incentives I see right now is 84mon 0% financing.

Are the prices on the Kubota build page not reflective of dealer pricing? I see a package deal on local dealer website for the L4701(not HST), dual axle trailer, 72" Land Pride Rotary and LP Box blade for 29k so maybe not. All the mentions of the MX series but none for the Grand L or L4701. Any reason?

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years #9  
Seeing a lot of votes for MX series in here which I understand, but unless Im missing something, when I go to Kubota and build one of these its close to 35k without implements.

MX4800HST is 32k with only FEL.
Grand L4060HST is 32k with only FEL.
L4701HST 31k with FEL.

No rear remotes or 3rd function.

The only incentives I see right now is 84mon 0% financing.

Are the prices on the Kubota build page not reflective of dealer pricing? I see a package deal on local dealer website for the L4701(not HST), dual axle trailer, 72" Land Pride Rotary and LP Box blade for 29k so maybe not. All the mentions of the MX series but none for the Grand L or L4701. Any reason?

Dealer price will be different than what you see on the build site.

/ 30 Acres and 20 Years #10  
Dealer price is typically about 10% lower than the MSRP on the Kubota website.

Kubota Grand L's are the gold standard of tractors. The L3560 would make an excellent choice if you could get it for under $30K. They're heavy and therefore very capable.