Buying Advice Another tractor advice thread

/ Another tractor advice thread #1  

PapaRoo

Tractor
n/a
Hi all, new to the forum and new to tractors. My wife and I are under contract for our dream property which is ~50 acres total. We've been looking for a long time and are excited to get out there.

The breakdown of the land is thus:

~22ac wooded
~ 3ac ponds
~ 7ac fenced pasture with barn and run-in sheds
~ 15ac of grass, but definitely pasture/meadow-like and not lawn
~.5ac lawn in front of house with several old oaks to mow around

I figure I will end up doing the lawn area with my push mower, but for the rest of the land, I would appreciate your suggestions on where to focus. I originally thought maybe I could get away with a subcompact, but I think that is not likely. We will need to be able to accomplish the following:

• keep the open acreage under control with mowing a few times a year
  • planting a modest orchard
  • general landscaping around the property
  • slowly clearing some of the wooded area over a few years
  • digging holes for fence posts
  • removing tree stumps
  • tilling new garden
  • trails through the woods
  • prepping foundation for outbuildings

I do not know the best tool for the mowing. I have friends with only bushhogs or finish mowers and they say they wish they had a mid-mount mower, but he also has a much smaller property and trickier navigation.

I appreciate your guidance as far as where to focus my research, ex. hp range, weight, whether a compact is sufficient. I figure I will be well-served by having an FEL, bushhog/rotary cutter, auger, box blade. I do not need all of that up front, but the ability to add it on as needed. For digging the orchard, I don't know if having a backhoe makes sense or just rent a mini excavator when the time comes.

We plan to have lots of chickens (have some now, love them, want more), a few sheep, goats maybe one day a horse, if my daughter has her way... :)

Thanks very much folks!

/ Another tractor advice thread #2  
There is no one best tool for mowing.

For your pond banks a sickle bar would work, a boom mower would be ideal, otherwise get in there with the weed whacker.

For the pasture, a brush cutter is pretty standard, size depends on how long you feel like taking.

With 22 acres to mow a cab is a must.

For the lawn if you're up to push mowing half an acre more power to you, I'd get a zero turn.

A backhoe is an immensely personal decision. Nobody but you can say if it's worth the money. Most don't go for it. For the same money as the backhoe on a larger compact you could all but buy a decent used mini-excavator.

Your tasks and acreage are both on the high side of what I'd consider practical for a compact utility tractor.

I'd personally be looking at the L6060 and its bigger brother, the M7060. They can be had for almost the same money(less than a thousand dollars difference in their list prices, if you give the M7060 the 12 speed transmission).

The L6060 is a fantastically put together, feature-laden compact, the Ur-example if you will. Standout feature is the HST+ transmission.

The M7060 is a pretty bare-bones utility tractor. It doesn't really have a standout feature. They're well built and guys like them for what they are.

The M7060 is a working tractor. It outweighs the L6060 by about 1000LBs(still not a true tillage machine). It has a bit over 16GPM of available pump flow(in 12 speed config), vs the 9.4GPM of the L6060. It can take cat II implements. The loader can lift all but double that of the L6060, despite the L6060's loader being more expensive.

The L6060 is lighter than the M7060, so it won't tend to rut things up as much. It's physically smaller and can go places the larger tractor can't. HST+ and cruse control means you're always at the speed you want to be when mowing.

Test drive both, and the equivalent from other manufacturers, talk to dealers, not just the sales staff, but the service counter as well. I know the most about the orange tractors mainly because they have the best website of the big manufactures. That's not to say they're the be all end all. Any of the big names build machines that make people happy.

And while I'm spending your money, you really should have a BX or 1 series for around the house and for cleaning up after the animals.

/ Another tractor advice thread #3  
So it sounds like for mowing a 60" Zero turn mower will get it done quickly.
And well for that kind of land management if you have large mature trees you may encounter handling large trees, stumps, branches etc.
So maybe a large frame machine like a utility tractor a MX series or NX series from kubota or kioti, maybe 50hp for starters. Which is all I'm familiar with. Others will chime in will their own experience.

I'm learning how the need for different implements slowly creeps up so that will be a consideration which you already addressed.
Toys to consider:
box blade, post hole digger, landscape rake, pallet forks, grappler....that should be good to start out ..well until you decide which cutter to get that is!
A mmm machine may not cut as quickly as a zero turn but well you know already the YMMV thing...heh...heh...
Congrats on the new homestead...!

/ Another tractor advice thread #4  
What's the budget?

Sub compact is definitely out of the question with 50 acres.

Japanese tractor options are Kubota, Yanmar, and Massey Ferguson (Iseki/Mitsubishi), Korean options are Kioti, LS, TYM, RK, Branson, and New Holland. Indian option is Mahindra. John Deere's are made in a variety of countries and have Yanmar engines.

Decide on what tasks you need to do, what implements are needed to perform those tasks, then what size tractor is needed to power those implements.

Weight typically defines how much work a tractor can do, horsepower defines how quickly it can do it.

Last edited:
   / Another tractor advice thread #5  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Lots of good advice so far (we do like to spend other people's money :)). And with 50 acres to manage you are definitely out of a SCUT market.

As to the 1/2 acre for mowing, with several trees AND a future orchard to consider, I'd suggest a good sized Lawn Tractor be added to the mix. Yes, a zero turn (Z-turn) will make short work of your lawn + trees but so can a lawn tractor.

A lawn tractor will also be versatile at hauling things, with a cart attached, around your property too. Chicken feed, squares of hay, portable generator, etc...

Best of luck and enjoy the site.

/ Another tractor advice thread #6  
Zero turn is a unitasker. It only does one thing...cut grass. A lawn tractor like Wagtail said can mow just fine and do other tasks as well. I wouldn't get anything less than 50 hp at the PTO for the other jobs. Rent a hoe for digging or stump removal.

/ Another tractor advice thread
Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

I like the idea of a lawn tractor to handle the areas around trees and the lawn. I do have an acre right now, about half lawn and I mow all of that with a pushmower but I ain't getting any younger and that will be one job of MANY on this new land. Also, there are multiple old trees in the cleared areas, so would be nice to have something to zip around those as well.

For the open non-fenced pasture areas, I guess the best option would be a large rotary cutter?

The tractor size recommendations are definitely bigger than I had initially thought, so I am glad I asked the question--as you can see, I came from wondering if I could manage with a sub-compact, so an M7060 seems like a monster to me. It looks like it's fair to say I am in the high end of the compacts or low-end of the utility tractors.

/ Another tractor advice thread #8  
Also, there are multiple old trees in the cleared areas, so would be nice to have something to zip around those as well.

For the open non-fenced pasture areas, I guess the best option would be a large rotary cutter?.

The old oak trees in your lawn will tend to drop a lot of branches. Consider a good landscape rake with gauge wheels to manage all the branches and limbs that will be a constant issue on your lawn and the rest of the 50 acres. Used in conjunction with a front grapple would be a perfect combo.

For your 22 acres of pasture a rotary cutter, or bush hog in coloquial terms, with a minimum size of 72" would be suitable. You need 5 PTO horsepower minimum per foot of rotary cutter to power it through thick North Carolina grass.

Everything Attachments, located in Newton NC, is an excellent source for made in USA implements, that ships for free.

Last edited:
   / Another tractor advice thread #9  
Even the fenced in pasture should be done with a bush hog. You'll beat a finish mower to death if it's actually pasture and not really nice grass.

To go back to the lawn tractor vs zero turn, I'll agree with the others, kind of. Having a big lawn tractor or a SCUT would work better as a multitasker. Maybe see if you can scrounge up a used BX or older B without a FEL. They tend to go for more reasonable money if there's no loader.

/ Another tractor advice thread #10  
I would consider two machines -- A tractor large enough to run the bush hog and a used mini excavator for the foundation work, stump removal and possibly a hydraulic post hole digger depending on how large the need is. I'd also suggest a grapple to help with cleaning up the woods, dealing with limbs etc.

If you plan to buy new there are some good finance options and discounted implements available when purchased at the same time. If you do go that route, be sure you're happy with the quality/match on the implement included or added to the package deal. Also, as was mentioned above, sometimes you can move up to a more utility oriented platform and get the weight/horsepower for only a small increase in price.