top 5 things when comparing

/ top 5 things when comparing #1  

crotalusco

Tractor
1952 ford 8n
I am new to tractors and am looking at buying a 35hp unit. I have been looking at 4 in this range but think I have narrowed it down to two. The JD 2038R and the Kioti ck3510se. Kubota is no go due to the rocker pedal and I might reconsider the LS but just the one dealer small shop and he is in his 70s (so I worry about him retiring and shutting down)

But to make sure I am comparing the most important things. Please list the top five things to compare between them. Obviously after HP as they are all close enough.
(will be getting unit with FEL)

Thanks Dan

/ top 5 things when comparing #2  
Depends on what you need to use it for. For me, it would be hp, tractor weight, FEL capacity, both weight and height of lift, and lift of 3pt.

/ top 5 things when comparing #3  
For myself, comparing models of similar weight/class, it was
1) build quality
2) price
3) included options/features (this is closely related to price)
4) warranty
5) dealer

/ top 5 things when comparing #4  
HP is first, I prefer to get the most HP in any certain frame size.

Second would be ergonomics, why purchase a tractor that you are not comfortable on?

Third, specs, compare all the different specs, typically they are all pretty close in any one frame size. But if you happen to be comfortable on multiple machines, why not get the one with the better specs, even if they are only a little different.

Fourth, dealer. For me personally not that big of a deal. But if you plan on using the dealer for service and other purchases such as implements, depending on the type of person you are can make the dealer very important, or not at all. For some people a dealer would be the most important thing to consider where as for others it basically makes no difference, because they will not see the dealer again other than to make another future purchase.

Fifth, I can't think of a 5th thing to recommend, and wife is calling. Oh, does the wife like it?

Good luck. ;)

/ top 5 things when comparing #5  
For myself, comparing models of similar weight/class, it was
1) build quality
2) price
3) included options/features (this is closely related to price)
4) warranty
5) dealer

Those are pretty good. If you're handy and have the tools, then having a nearby dealer is not a must. Mine is 60 miles away and he ships me warranty items and I fix it - that does not include the big items, of course - like when they replaced then engine after finding a scored piston.

I would say Warranty and Dealer might just go hand in hand because if you have a bad dealer or it is a five hour adventure to load up and haul to a dealer far, far, away, then the long warranty is a bit less valuable.

As was said by Slowpoke Slim (BTW Slowpoke, I lived in Briardale for 18 years), what do you need?

I worked 40+ acres of serious slopes and a mile of mountainside roadway in the Santa Cruz Mtns of CA with a used little Kubota B21 for ten years and it worked for me. I now have a bit less than 7 acres of almost too level ground (can't get water to drain nicely) and I've got a 38 hp Cut - go figure.

How much land do you have? Do you log? Do you grow crops? Do you do road maintenance? Do you have raw land to clear? There are a lot of questions about what you do to ask before what to buy.

35 hp is a nice machine for what I do. I have a hoe on mine and I like having it, saved thousands doing my leach field this summer for example, but you might prefer a shovel. I have snow and, based on your profile, you have more, so you'll want to handle that - maybe a snow blower, maybe a blade, maybe both.

I look forward to following your decision - it is always an adventure.

/ top 5 things when comparing #6  
Check out the 35hp Yanmar YT235 while you're comparing. There are a few dealers not far from you.

/ top 5 things when comparing #7  
I agree with you on ruling out a Kubota due to their hydro treadle pedal. I think Kubota would sell lots more tractors if they standardized to one hydro style of hydro pedal (preferably two pedals like John Deere). All cars and pickups have standardized brake and accelerator locations--only makes sense!

/ top 5 things when comparing
Thanks guys some good points there. as mentioned most tractors are pretty close and even price is closer than I expected. What I was hoping for was more along the lines of tractor specs. Example tractor A is 2k more has 2more pto hp more dealers and other minor features like cruise control, tool box, rubber mat etc etc. Tractor B is less money but has more loader capacity heavier tractor weight

as I am new to tractors and farming I was wondering what specs to put more value on?. Yes I know it will depend on the task but for general porpoises what are your top 5

/ top 5 things when comparing #9  
1.bare weight(not just a HP comparison)
2.loader strength (not standardized)
3.third point ease of use(extendable end links)
4.ease of maintenance
5.operator fit

/ top 5 things when comparing #10  
I'm new myself so I am glad you posted this. I have been asking myself the same questions and have come up with this short list for myself;

1. Tractor weight- As I understand it you can have a lot of HP but if you have too little weight you can't utilize it. In addition stability is important to me. Preferably the tractor is longer, wider, shorter and has better ground clearance. Clearly I will have to make some concessions here.
2. Dealer/Company support - Prefer a great local dealer but in the absence of that I want a company that stands behind their product. Parts must be available.
3. Adequate PTO power to run a 6' BH or 7' finish mower.
4. Comfortable - I underestimated this initially. This is hard to figure until you try a bunch of different models. I thought I really liked one then tried another and found I fit in it better. The steering wheel, legroom, entry/exit were just more comfortable. I'm still investigating this but have learned a lot trying different models. One of them was very nice but very loud and a rough ride.
5. Price - It doesn't have to be the cheapest so I guess instead of price I should say "Value". From what I have experienced I think some brands are resting on their backsides due to their great reputation while others are providing better value, better price and really want to earn your business.

Last edited: