Tractor Sizing Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #1  

MicroPilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet GT3500 hand-me-down
Hello All!!

I've been reading TBN for quite a while now, over a 1.5 years. And it just occured to me (after reading posts of 29 HP machines being used on 2 or 3 acres) that I might be looking at buying too small of a tractor for the work I will need to do. I had been considering something in the 30-45 HP range.

Anyway, I'd like to get the TBN crew's opinions on what I should be looking at.

I live in NE Kentucky on 32 acres ( 1 ridge and 4 hillsides). We keep approximately 3 acres mowed as yard/buffer space for pastures where we have several horses. About 1/4 of the pasture area has been bush hogged and is in good shape, the other 2/3rd is starting to get overgrown, ecspecially with cedar trees. The main chores I see using my soon to own tractor for are: Mowing grass(%80 of the time), Bush Hogging(Lots of work here initially, but once cleared, only occasional seasonal use), Fence Post installation, barn mucking, maintenance on 1600 foot gravel drive.

What size tractor would fill the bill to do these chores efficiently?

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #2  
I think you are doing fine in that range... A lot of folks would think a 29Hp for a couple of acres is overkilll.

What size Bush hog will you want. A 5 or 6 footer will be your best buy and the size you are talking about will handle it nicely.

I have a 32 Hp for 80 acres... With horses and other citters helping, it keeps up nicely...

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #3  
I would say an L3430(Kubota) which is around 35 HP. You could put a 5FT finish mower on the 3PH to do the lawn, brush hog and do post holes also. I have 50 acres and 800 ft of driveway and we get a lot of snow. See my sig.

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #4  
I think something in the 30-45 HP range should be fine. However if you plan on rolling hay you might want to consider something a bit larger. I live outside of Winchester, KY. Welcome to the confusion /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #5  
All of the replies that you've received are good answers.

But since you mention </font><font color="blue" class="small">( barn mucking )</font> , you probably need to pay close attention to the machines width. It won't do the job if it doesn't fit through the doors or into the stalls.

Otherwise I'd agree with the other guys. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #6  
You really have 2 tasks that make a tough compromise. Mucking stalls would be great for a JD2210, Kub 2230 or MF 2300 sub CUT. They would also be fine for finish mowing. Brush hog'n 30 or so acres would be tough for one of those but doable for a 30hp cut. 35 or 40 would be better. That size tractor would be a pain in the rear to muck a stall.

So if money is an issue (ain't it always) I would recomend one of the sub CUTs mentioned and a used MF 235 or similar.

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #7  
35 to 45 hp should do you (Im talking pto hp) I like Ag tractors a little more for this kind of acreage but a cut would perform well. In the new stuff Massey has the 431 and 451 these are simple to operate and come with Perkins engines. JD has the 5103,5203,5303(simple but powerful) and the Kubaota MX5000 or the M4900.
Also many used 3000 Fords 135 massey's and so on just decide what you want to spend. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #8  
First off, what flavor of transmission will you be getting - hydro or gear? A Kioti CK30 might be able to handle the larger tasks. It will be available in hydro or shuttle shift. If you need to go bigger, Kioti offers shuttle shift tractors up to 65 hp with optional cabs on DK50, 55, and 65. The model number corresponds to the engine HP. The DK35, 40, or 45 would work great in your requirements. I'll post a link to their machines:

Kioti Tractors

John Deere has the 4000 Ten series. The mid-size chassis 4310 (32 hp) and on up to the large-chassis 4710 (48 hp) would work, too. These all come in eHydro or ePowerReverser (with exception of 4510, ePowerReverser only). Deere is coming out with the new 4x20 series CUTs this month. They will have a new design and are replacing the large-chassis CUTs. I think next year they will be replacing the mid-chassis units.

John Deere CUTs

The Case/New Holland twins are an option, too. The Farmall (Case) and the Boomer (New Holland) are nice machines. The Case DX35, 40, and 45 would be good as well as their TC35, 40, and 45 New Holland siblings. They each come in hydro or shuttle shift.

CaseIH Farmall tractors

New Holland Boomer tractors

I hope I could help in my brief rundown of different machines. In the end, though, only you can determine what's best for you. Good luck in your search!

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew
Good to see that I have been thinking in the right size range.

I got the OK from the CFO to solicit bids on equipment, starting this weekend. I think I'll be visiting the used tractor guy, a NH dealer, a Massey dealer, and a Century dealer. Good point about the width of the barn.

As far as getting 2 machines, that would be a hard sell to the wife.

I'm definately going to be getting a finish mower of some sort, and a rotary brush cutter. I will try to get a FEL included initially, but the cost may push me over budget.

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #10  
Try extra hard on that loader, or at least make sure the tractor is loader read. Getting the loader at the first can save a bundle!