Little help 126 acres need tractor

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor #1  

7mmrum

Silver Member
This is a great forum.. ok.. down to business, My Father recently bought a Horse Farm up in PA. Total around 126 acres, however 60 of that is open field, the other is wooded or lawn near the house. He purchased a used MF135 diesel recently and it has been doing good since the purchase of the land earlier this year. We finally got around to hooking up a 7ft. FORD sickle bar to it to start cutting the fields, however after doing so, some of the areas you really need a 4WD tractor to cut against those steeper slopes. So the QA is what tractor would be suitable. Primarly the use would be to cut the fields, push snow, brush hog, etc. however I will be using it or the MF135 to create a few food plots for the wildlife,, hence the username. Anyway he and I are planning on going in $ on the tractor together, and we'd like to either find something for around 6k or put a deposit down on something a bit larger.. Currently we only have the weekends to commit to the maintence that the land requires, until he retires in a few years.

We have looked at the compacts such as Yanmar, Jinma, etc. but I'm not sure that they will be able make the grade. The Massey is able to do the bulk of the work, but their are some areas that you just don't feel comfortable using it if you know what I mean.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor #2  
good afternoon....

take a look at the ZETOR /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif nice tractor w/cab and a/c, about 45-65 hp/fel....should do the job with that amount of acreage..
will handle almost all the attachment you will need plus they are very competitive with the pricing.....although 6k will make a good down payment /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

good luck,
bluebonnet2

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor #3  
First make sure the axles are widened out on the 135. Also to let you know this 135 is one of the best all around tractors ever built.
Than Im going to suggest at least a 50 hp model I like Massey I have a 451 2wd. But look at the 471 Massey,the 5320 JD, the M 5700 Kubaota dont go to a compact 4wd on those hills if your not comfortable on the 135 you want be on cut. Start at these models or bigger on hills the wider and heaver the better. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor #4  
I recently purchased a utility tractor to handle the same chores as you. I looked at the JD 5205, New Holland TN65, New Holland TN70A, Case-IH JX 65 and the Kubota M5000.

All of the machines could do the work I wanted. The 'bota was a little light. I selected the New Holland TN65 because of price and the dealer (Very good to work with and close to home). Most of my friends and family were shocked /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif because I like red tractors and Chevy trucks and they could not believe I bought a Ford, errr, /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif New Holland Blue tractor. But lets face it, there is not a lot of difference in the JX65 and the TN65 /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor #5  
That is also a very nice looking tractor I went with a Massey because were just to tall for my chicken house and the NH dealer wanted to charge extra for smaller tires (low profile). /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor #6  
I agree with the mfd Ag-utility tractor idea for your land. Besides what you have already been told about checking out,I'd look at Valtra A series,Mahindra "00" series,Long FarmTrac, AGCO GT series.

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor
Thanks for the info. I'll look into those models suggested..

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor #8  
Strangley, and most importantly, the lead recommendation you got here is going to cost you well over 20,000 ducats.

6 k will only get you a very used chinese machine (grey market) with it's associatiated risks at the HP level.

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor #9  
For the price you are talking and the requirements you have you will need to find a good used tractor. It will be very hard to find a 4wd tractor that will do the job for you with the budget you have.

Maybe hang on to the Massey and use critters to graze the speep parts. Goats work pretty well for it and are cheap /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Little help 126 acres need tractor #10  
I bought a new Zetor this year to do the same things you do. Our old tractor is a JD A tricycle - not good for slopes. Take a look at www.fastline.com for used tractor availability & pricing. I could have bought anywhere & drug it home but my local Zetor dealer had the best pricing & on the lot availability. I wouldn't buy without trying first to make sure it fits. Having a local dealer that works with you is a plus.

Happy hunting

Attachments

• 444560-double rocks right rear 3 (320 x 240).jpg
    444560-double rocks right rear 3 (320 x 240).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 146