Buying Advice John Deere 110 TLB - Good Deal?

/ John Deere 110 TLB - Good Deal? #1  

whizbang

Tractor
Kubota M59
Hey all,

I have found a 2007 JD 110 TLB with 2800 hrs on it. The current owner runs a landscaping business and suspects he is only the 2nd owner (But not for certain). He has had it 2-3 yrs and getting rid of it because his guys prefer the little tracked skidsteers (easier to maneuver in the smaller yards).

Machine looks to have been well cared for - The owner prior to the current did touch-up paint areas on the loader and backhoe, which is apparent because you can see where old paint that was not removed was. And a clear coat was applied to all metal adapters, fittings, hard lines etc to stop further rusting. Rust on these components isn't too bad considering it is in SE MI. The Roof frame appears to have the most rust. In my first walk through all the pins looked to be good and tight, some of the hydraulic hoses will need to be changed soon since the covers are cracked and reinforcement is exposed and starting to rust (but my wife is a hydraulics engineer so that's easy), and the owner pointed out a valve that might be weeping. I could not locate any oil leaks and the engine seems to be in great shape and well taken care of.

The current owner replaced the seat and the potentiometer under the forward hydrostat pedal. All fluids and filters were changed and have been maintained since he took ownership.

As I said, the basic look at the pins everything seems tight. I have not checked any of the boom stabilization bolts yet or the bell housing for cracks.

The 110 is going for around $19k and includes the quick attach bucket and forks, non-factory 3pt arms and an additional 30 in bucket for the backhoe.

Anything else I need to check for considering the hours upon my 2nd walk through? Is it a good deal or should I run?

I appreciated any and all feedback.

Thanks,
Whizbang

/ John Deere 110 TLB - Good Deal? #2  
Hey all,

I have found a 2007 JD 110 TLB with 2800 hrs on it. The current owner runs a landscaping business and suspects he is only the 2nd owner (But not for certain). He has had it 2-3 yrs and getting rid of it because his guys prefer the little tracked skidsteers (easier to maneuver in the smaller yards).

Machine looks to have been well cared for - The owner prior to the current did touch-up paint areas on the loader and backhoe, which is apparent because you can see where old paint that was not removed was. And a clear coat was applied to all metal adapters, fittings, hard lines etc to stop further rusting. Rust on these components isn't too bad considering it is in SE MI. The Roof frame appears to have the most rust. In my first walk through all the pins looked to be good and tight, some of the hydraulic hoses will need to be changed soon since the covers are cracked and reinforcement is exposed and starting to rust (but my wife is a hydraulics engineer so that's easy), and the owner pointed out a valve that might be weeping. I could not locate any oil leaks and the engine seems to be in great shape and well taken care of.

The current owner replaced the seat and the potentiometer under the forward hydrostat pedal. All fluids and filters were changed and have been maintained since he took ownership.

As I said, the basic look at the pins everything seems tight. I have not checked any of the boom stabilization bolts yet or the bell housing for cracks.

The 110 is going for around $19k and includes the quick attach bucket and forks, non-factory 3pt arms and an additional 30 in bucket for the backhoe.

Anything else I need to check for considering the hours upon my 2nd walk through? Is it a good deal or should I run?

I appreciated any and all feedback.

Thanks,
Whizbang

Machinery trader currently has three JD110 TLB listings.

One is a 2010 machine with 1900 hrs. for $27,500

One is a 2003 machine with 365 hrs. for $36,500

One gives no year, and no hours, but is listed for $26,500. It looks good.

They are widely regarded as being very good machines.
Even with the rust, and the 2800 hours, I would expect that the machine you are considering could be worth close to $19,000.
Depending on a more detailed inspection, it might be an option to offer $17,000, and see what happens.

/ John Deere 110 TLB - Good Deal? #3  
I saw a couple of the open station variety on Machinery Trader in the 19-20 grand range.

You might want to read through this cracked bell housing thread too.

/ John Deere 110 TLB - Good Deal? #5  
Sounds like a decent deal to me. But, to make sure it works properly, you can come dig a pond on my property with it. Just to you know, make sure it's really good to go. :)

/ John Deere 110 TLB - Good Deal? #6  
sounds like it's priced not too bad. I've been on a search for a good used low hour 110 tlb and the one I just bought was considerably more $$ with 600 hours,

at $19,000 it sounds good.

/ John Deere 110 TLB - Good Deal? #7  
Does it have plumbing front and back? Quick attach hoe bucket, and 3 ph components? If you want these things, you make kick yourself if you didn't get them.

/ John Deere 110 TLB - Good Deal? #8  
whizbang,
If you buy the 110, I have a nice Frontier Box Blade (BB1284) and 3pt top&tilt kit (new) for sale.
Ann Arbor is about 90 minutes from me.

BB1284.JPG

T&T.JPG

/ John Deere 110 TLB - Good Deal?
So I went back for another look at the 2007 with the nearly 2800hrs and went through it more carefully.

No signs of any cracks in the bell housing and no sign of loose bolts. I confirmed that everything works such as 4x4, lockers, creep mode, PTO function etc. I extended out the back hoe and checked that more thoroughly as well...main vertical swivel pins will likely need replacement in the near future but certainly not in desperate need of replacement. Crawling underneath there were no leaks from the transmission. Coolant, engine oil and hydraulic oil all look really good. I took a look at it yesterday (when it was 30deg out) and it started right up, no hesitation at all. There are additional auxillary hydraulics plumbed for the back, but not the front. It also has the quick attached loader bucket and also comes with forks. Back hoe is also quick attach. PTO splines looked pretty good too, although with the hoe attached it is really hard to see.

All in all it really does seem to be in good shape and a great machine, but I will be honest in that the threads on this site, and even green tractor talk, regarding the bell housing issue have me scared. Hydraulic problems I can fix all day long, even engine issues I can handle. But splitting a tractor to get at that housing should it crack scares the $*!* out of me. I don't really have a shop with the means to do that myself nor have I ever done it.

It seems like 90% of the cases I have found in threads, across various sites, that the operator didn't know bolts were loose and/or the tractor was being used at the edge of its limits thus resulting in the cracked bell housing.

How likely / often/ frequently does that crack really happen? I called around to a few service dealers in SE MI and NW OH and most had never heard of the bell housing concern which exception of 1. Most also couldn't recall actually having one into their shops....

I have seen a lot of comparison between the 4000 series tractors and the 110 TLB, is there a particular 4000 series where parts are largely interchangeable?

Does anyone know if the same bell housing used in the 110 is used on something else?

Is the way the loader attached and the bell housing bolted a common configuration for John Deere or was this configuration particular to the 110 and thus that is why the issues appears more with the 110? I guess I am just trying to determine the probability I will have a bell housing issue.

Thanks guys...

Whizbang