Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere #1  

SevenWonders

Quick background info:
Had an '88 Kubota G6200H which I loved -
always cared for - 530 hrs, exc condition...
but I wanted a tractor that could mulch, as I am
doing lawncare on the side, and no mulching blades
exist for this deck that I am aware of. IF you know this to be incorrect, do me a HUGE favor and just keep it to yourself at this point /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Sold the Kubota for $1850. the first day I showed it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
and needed a "replacement" (ans I use that term VERY loosely) for about $2k.
Considered JD L118, CC LT1018, and Troy-Bilt
Horse or Super Bronco.

Well, decision has been made...
and I will get my SECOND new JD in a few days /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Went to the only dealer within 100 miles who had L118s in stock - the first one had 10 hrs, and LOTS of scuffs on the body and hood. Also, it would not idle well, and had WAY too much vibration.

They went to the back and pulled out a nice fresh one -
no gas smell in the tank even. Purred like a kitten!
Then, I noticed that the seat frame had been scraped down to the metal under the paint... not the end of the world.

However, on the rear fender, there were about 15 chips ranging from tiny to over 3/8". Then on the back behind the seat there were 3 "chunks" missing (literally) from the edge of the body -metal gone - obviously something nailed it - it was rusted, and deformed. They offered me a $50 discount and a bottle of touch up paint. I laughed, shook his hand and went to Home Depot.

The one out front had a ton of scuffs and scratches,
so I opted for the one in the store. It had serious scuffs on the hood, as well as a chip in the paint on the body - but no smell of gas in the tank. I asked if they had more in stock. Yes, they said, but they won't be prepped for several days. "Can I take this one now, and come back in a few days and switch hoods for one that is not scuffed up?"

"No way - I am not butchering my tractors,"
said the Department Manager /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Is there no way I can convince you to do that -
it is only 4 bolts and I will be glad to do it myself while you watch. NOPE, he said. I responded: "OK, I will buy this one today and return it in a few days to get one that looks New."
He was shocked, but said "OK - If that is how you feel" (Yep.)

As it turned out, we gassed it up, and it wouldn't crank...
dead battery. Then they put a new battery in, and to my surprise, it had 25.5 hours on it... obviously someone left the key on until the battery gave out. Then, it still wouldn't start...
after playing with all of the controls, the PTO cable must have gotten bumped while they changed the battery - after I engaged it and disengaged it, it started.

Guess what - it has a HUGE miss - idles worse than the one at the dealership. (Yes, even after it is warmed up... shakes my 1000 lb trailer as if I were bouncing on the seat. But by this time, I was so frustrated, I just took it and left and said "See you in a few days."

First lap at a customer's house I TOTALLY scalped a section that the Kubota never even cut unevenly... and I had the deck set at 3.5 inches! ($#!^) Just realized, the Kubota had FIVE anti-scalp rollers, and my new JD has... two /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Well, guess it is time to search the aftermarket for some addl rollers, and find a local welding shop to add them to the deck -
on the replacement tractor that is - not gonna keep this scuffed, chipped one that doesn't run close to right.

However, I noticed that I can drop the 2 existing rollers down a little... that will help some at least.

Well, it did cut very nice on the level areas...
now I just need some neon lights to put under the frame to match these wide rear tires /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But I gotta say, I REALLY miss my Kubota.

In fairness, if I had $5k to spend, it wouldn't have been an issue with either brand I am sure.

Well, I will update this if I get any more surprises,
or when I get my next new JD in a few days!

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere #2  
I know it is not really related...but when I read the title of this thread all I could see in my mind was a mental image of CowboyDoc grinnin' ear to ear... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know it is not really related...but when I read the title of this thread all I could see in my mind was a mental image of CowboyDoc grinnin' ear to ear... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )</font>

Henro, as I read the post above, I think it goes to prove that choosing to join the green team is not always what it is cracked up to be!

I'm still trying to figure out why the Kubota went away, it seemed to work fine, sold used for a high price in comparision to this new JD, and gave a superior cut. Other than keeping the Kubota, I think a little "residential" grade ZTR might have been an even better choice, the deck would have been smaller, but I'm sure it would cut faster and probably better (less scalping). Cub Cadet makes small units, and I think (but I'm not sure) they start just over $2K, which is a bit over budget, but not much?

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere #4  
Sorry to hear about all the trouble hope things work out. I went through similiar things. But I finally bit the bullet and bougth a commerical Toro walkbehind. I have a 3 Honda wheeler to pull the areator. If you ever can afford it buy commerical for mowing.

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere #5  
Hmmmn. I wonder if there IS such a thing as a GOOD tractor for less than 2K? I don't think you get into a nice Deere for less than $2500...Unless, you go used.

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere #6  
From the title it sounds like you were a dis-gruntled Kubota owner, but in actuality it seems as though you are a happy Kubota "Former" owner, and a now disgruntled, but resigned John Deere owner. Sorry for the tractor hassle. And let me be the first to say that you probably could have adapted some mulching blades from another machine.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif J/K

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere #7  
SOUNDS like u are having more problems witht the new ones than u did with the old one. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere
Thanks for all of the replies!

Small world here folks...
I see people from NC and PA -
I am from OH, about an hour from Pitt,
and I am in Raleigh, NC now!

I really did try to find mulching blades for my Kubota...
even had a post here, but we found nothing.

Speaking of the Honda 3 wheeler to pull the aerator...

Ya know, you have me thinking -
a big reason I did not seriously consider a rear rider,
or cheap ZTR is that I also do a lot of aerating, dethatching, removing trees and shrubs, hauling pine bark mulch, etc...
BUT I have been ignoring an important consideration -
I own a 2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
That will do a helluva lot better job at all of that stuff than
ANY new mower in my price range! Of course, that would require multiple trips if I need both machines on site, but I work pretty close to home.

Well, I guess I have 29 days left to sort this out.

Any recommendations for a good $2k ZTR?

Should I consider a 33" Snapper rear rider???

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere #9  
If you want good mowing equipment it does not come cheap. I can say the nicer JD's like the GT and GX series will cut a lot better than your L series but they are more money. A good JD ZTR will run like 6 grand but it has the good 7 Iron deck which is awesome. I had a 7 Iron and loved it.

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello John Deere #10  
I have a 1988 14 HP Kohler Snapper 33" mower. I know of no other mower that will suck material off the ground better. It will easily move wet grass up the chute and bag it. Downside is the drive system is not nearly as good as many others. That may have changed since 1988. I also have a JD 510 ZTR which does a great job of manuvering, great moving power, weak blade power and pretty bad grass catching ability. It has a 14 HP Kawasaki. The Kohler and Kawasaki are easily comparable.