Tractor Sizing HP Advice

/ HP Advice #1  

TomIre

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 3725
I've gone to two different dealers and told them the same thing. They have both advised almost identical size tractor in terms of HP.
Love to know what you suggest.
I have 20 acres with the majority in pasture grass so bush hogging is the main thing. None of it is flat with one or two quite steep hills. It is a dairy farm that hasn't been worked or maintained in years so pastures are a bit rough. Some woods on steeper parts but only 3 acres of so. I'll cut and haul some firewood but probably get it out with a winch
I want to move some dirt as well so planning on backhoe and FEL.
I'm in middle Tennessee so snow isn't really an issue. And, I don't have a long gravel drive to maintain. I
I am getting a bit older and want to save my back, etc by not doing as much manual work as I used to.
Given that, what would you recommend for HP? Advice very much appreciated!

/ HP Advice #2  
I would look at 60hp tractors like kubota mx 5800 or that size in another color ....

/ HP Advice #3  
40hp at the PTO minimum, so 50-ish HP total.

/ HP Advice #4  
Ditto that recommendation. Big enough to work hard at dirt moving/digging and mowing, small enough that implements are more affordable and you can maneuver in tight spaces if necessary. Backhoe is an expensive addition but really useful when it's needed (I had one for many years and appreciated having it ready to go anytime). If only occasional use, consider renting something the few times you need one.

/ HP Advice
Thanks. I've heard the rental advice but . . . Seems like whenever I rent something like that I bust my butt working like a dog trying to get my money's worth! As opposed to owning and I can nibble away at a job.

Let me know what other HP suggestions are!

Thanks, really appreciate the input.

/ HP Advice #6  
It all depends on how much you want to get done, and how fast.

If you're not planning on doing anything with the property aside from residence and maintenance, I would recommend renting the equipment you need for any major earth moving projects.

After the "one shot" work is done, it will be easier to determine your needs for permanent equipment. You may find that your needs will be better supported otherwise... maybe a skid-steer.

The biggest thing is getting the earth where/how you want it. After that, your maintenance (if you're not raising crops or livestock) will be mostly mowing and some minor fencing, etc.

Honestly, you could do any of the above with something as small as a Kubota BX, JD 2xxx, or any other 4wd tractor with more than 20 to 25hp. If productivity is an issue, then step up to a 40hp unit (as stated above)... but if you just want to get the job done, the higher HP range of the subcompact market should suit just fine (28-30hp).

With a loader/hoe package, your biggest challenge will be removing rocks/etc. Loader/hoe packages get to be steep add-ons when stepping into larger tractors.

The other way to look at it, is how much are you comfortable spending? In that case, get the most horsepower you care to buy, with the attachments you need... just make sure to get the loader/hoe package AT POINT OF SALE. They cost about 30-40% more in post sale.

/ HP Advice #7  
You want to be in the 40hp-60hp frame size, whatever make and model you consider. Highly recommend HST, just easier all around. :thumbsup:

/ HP Advice #8  
Horsepower comes into play on implements - you need enough to run what you want to use, especially mowing. Weight of the machine contributes to usable power and stability. If you are spinning the wheels, it's wasted power.
Larger, heavier tractors will do the same jobs faster than smaller, lighter tractors - even with the same HP. Smaller tractors will fit between trees that larger ones can't. When I was buying mine, that factor limited me to the 35HP range. The 45HP model in the same series was 18" wider, substantially heavier, and almost $10k more. With all the trees and other obstacles on my property, it would have been a little too big. The 34HP model I bought fit my needs better. I could not utilize a larger tractor (or a larger bush hog) as well. YMMV.
When it comes to digging and moving dirt, weight of the machine really comes into play. As much as I found a backhoe attachment to be attractive, I realized that it was not as practical as it appeared. It would have to be off the tractor to use the three point, and 95% of the time I'm mowing, using the box blade, or using the FEL. I'd have to store it, mount it, dismount it, and pay for it - for a piece of equipment I'd rarely use and was an inferior tool when I did use it. A true backhoe is much more capable for digging, and an excavator is another leap above that. A small dozer will move dirt much quicker than a FEL. A trencher is far superior for laying sprinkler lines (no offense meant to you BX fans). The right tools for the job make it go faster, easier, and usually safer.

Since your primary use will be pasture maintenance, I'd start with what implements you plan to use and what size. That will dictate how much HP you need. I'd either rent a proper dirt mover, or hire it out. Or if you really want to nibble away, get one of the 25HP TLBs....

/ HP Advice #9  
Kubota MX5800, John Deere 4066, or Massey 1759 would be my choices. All three have their pluses and minuses when comparing to each other but are all very capable. There are other brands out there also but I am just not that familiar with them. Backhoe would be really nice but expensive on top of already expensive machines in the 50 to 60 HP range. If money is not a concern go for it.

I have rented big (18,000 lbs) mini-ex's twice. I just rented one for two weeks. I cleared out three acres on my new property with it (digging BIG stumps) and backfilling with the dozer blade. I would not have wanted to use a compact tractor backhoe for that job. I know when you rent you are on the time clock but it is nice having the right machine for the job and I am not tearing up my own stuff. Now I am doing the touch up work with the tractor.

/ HP Advice #10  
You want to be in the 40hp-60hp frame size, whatever make and model you consider. Highly recommend HST, just easier all around. :thumbsup:

Roger on the HST, my Deere cab 4720 with HST is a complete pleasure to operate. Also agree with the HP recommendation but weight of the tractor is critical - more is better. Unfortunately some manufacturers are touting HP but unless the machine has an appropriate weight that power cannot be put to use.