On the Fence about SCUT or CUT

/ On the Fence about SCUT or CUT #1  

Klipper

Tractor
2018 Kioti CK2510
Been considering a Tractor for a while now. Even a SCUT would be a huge expense for me.

I have roughly 2 acres, uneven, sandy but covered in clumpy grass and other ground cover. I am in the process of having a local guy with HUGE equipment basically clear off the property and shred the "grass". Then my plan is to to basic maintenance. It will never be "finished" looking, just kept under control.

The two options that fit the budget (after much research) are probably a Kioti CS2210 SCUT or a Kioti CK2510 CUT.

If I could do the maintenance with the SCUT, it would be way better for my budget. And I always have the option of hiring out the BIG work.

I guess my question, is would you trust a SCUT with 6-1/2" clearance to do basic field shredding?

Also, would the SCUT be more stable on slopes than the CUT due to lower stance? Pic of example below.

If I could do this with my lawn tractor I would, but it is a little rough. The fact that the SCUT has a FEL would just be a huge bonus. It would be basically used as a field mower that can also lift things and fill holes in the driveway.

THANKS - opinions appreciated.

la2EHclkDLEmVns-dDG2H9mk9uIUIhbPKXeBTmFgg-HasqMB1PdI-ATfBDITafNewBMJtL-uI8QKYr2B4NfsrwYcr6nyedXnBPoZXSk5j3BSFp9sni3SzhHLfQE5QqQ1ub04vRSUeJyEcgYJVKH_fbm6J3uV98p3KHBS-RQ-89DuH4gufH6Bnl9LHsc2paXrA7lfcfIzTYdqXepRYsYl2MXJzTSOwrG8CwoTxDYjBWSvGjSTqtOBuMKBtIX9c_2FJFuYWYF6doIi4SQXjGpmJzNryaf_wbAwPXIJXBENri7CEwIEj08r3tRic33U7HHPL3NIaFUvFxyPI6f_ARr_dDOW0hIXOoMaH1QkhsqhZXaC6OJyQepJtm2kuuyV-MXCN0kXH09QxgmrJnhzm9V3KMoIzKDqzc8XJu_claP4S_2krFA7000QXlbHkrn4K1k8BxUzAecy6dmh04m6NPvDQTs8KZz80dlxNTo2aSHl9xHji6Dg7BXpxAnYTagru8-YE7EgQGsdEr2hUCSlW-WCeZdwvq7xJzFGC6bxdopMrCKpY9CAtqbyrXtB6VYg_5iXcmV-T5s_-Pd55yV_Ui6NDe8uP7_oSVxiJ73vBTY=w700-h525-no

/ On the Fence about SCUT or CUT #2  
Sounds like you want a brush hog, and a FEL. 2 acres is not much to maintain.

/ On the Fence about SCUT or CUT
Yes. I do.

My question is... will the CS2210 handle the job? I can step up to the CK2510, but would really prefer to save the $$. But if the CS2210 won't do the job, then spending more on the CK2510 is worth it. Just trying to get only what I need.

/ On the Fence about SCUT or CUT #4  
You could probably clear and smooth the vast majority of that picture with a SCUT. Pictures are always hard to tell, but I'd probably use my belly mower on the vast majority of that with my BX and the FEL can knock most of the woody stuff out with no problem. A box blade on the back and you can make it much smoother and replant whatever you want to mow.

Somebody will surely come along here and probably tell you that you need a bulldozer or trackhoe to clear that property, but I'd tackle it myself with my BX and have fun while doing so. Not trying to talk you out of the CUT either. I've had one of those too. It will also do all that and even faster, but don't underestimate the SCUTs. they are real capable tools in their own right.

/ On the Fence about SCUT or CUT #5  
Heavier tractors are built on larger frames with larger wheels/tires. Heavier tractors with large diameter tires have more tractive power pulling ground contact implements, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Larger wheels and tires mean more ground clearance, enabling a heavier tractor to bridge holes, ruts and downed tree limbs with less bucking, yielding a less disturbing passage over rough pastures and woodlands.

Every tractor brand includes a model in the 2,600 pound to 3,000 pound (bare tractor) range with 100 cubic inch/24 horsepower engine ample for your tasks. Tractors under 25-horsepower are exempt from the stringent, Tier IV emission controls which abruptly increase a tractor's cost about $3,000 above the 25-horsepower demarcation.

I am confident rear wheel spread is adjustable on the CK2510. Increasing rear wheel spread increases tractor stability. Filling rear tires with liquid ballast increases tractor stability and traction.

Go with the CK2510.

The land in your picture is too rough for a tractor with 6-1/2" of ground clearance.

Thanks TS - Like I said, in the next week or so, a guy is going to come in with his large tractor and clear the debris, and brush-hog the whole area. Then I just need to maintain it.

If a SCUT will do the job, it will save me about $4k over the CUT, and that money can be used in the future to hire out the BIG jobs.

JEFF - also good advice - thanks.

/ On the Fence about SCUT or CUT #7  
You'll be fine with either one. Cut up and down the slopes, not across. Get the tires filled with Rimguard or windshield washer fluid to increase traction and stability. Go slow while you are learning, and wear your seatbelt.

Once you get the initial cleanup done, you could probably maintain it with a good riding mower/garden tractor, but you'll find lots of uses for a FEL and a SCUT.

Windshield washer fluid eh? Cool!

If I can get by with the SCUT, it will be a lot easier to store and a few bucks in my pocket for extras like a rake and a quick hitch!

/ On the Fence about SCUT or CUT #9  
Yes, for slopes, fill the rear wheels. I have mine filled and it not only lowers the center of gravity when mowing, but also adds more ballast for when you use your loader. I live in Upstate South Carolina in the foothills of the mountains and mow more hilly stuff than your picture looks like, but pictures can be deceiving. I have also cleared much worse looking stuff than in the photo, but once again, it may be deceiving. Add a toothbar to your loader and you can pop those little trees up root and all.

I know you're paying someone to get it under control, but if you're buying a tractor, you could opt to just get it under control yourself while becoming adept at using your new machine.

The picture looks to me like an old pasture that was let go for 3-5 years and if so, I really don't think clearance would be an issue with a SCUT. I reclaimed my own old overgrown pasture that had a lot more woody junk in it than yours appears to. I've also rooted out a ton of privet with either my bucket with tooth bar or my grapple. Like I said, a CUT will do it faster and easier, but a SCUT is very capable also.

/ On the Fence about SCUT or CUT #10  
Go with the SCUT. Maybe upgrade a little to the cs2410, little bit more hp for the mower. Of course you can get a 100hp turbocharged unit... Add a batwing mower...it will cut your 2 acres in a few passes. It would surely be heavier and have much better traction:D