Buying advice for small but powerful loader

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #21  
Like I mentioned before. I wanted a 110 in the worst way, but when researching it to death, found out that it is not exactly what is was made out to be. Plus new, it was too expensive for what it was.

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #22  
Why do you want the smallest tractor possible to move 1600#? Space constraints or budget?

I think a skid-steer would be a lousy choice for moving pallets into a pickup truck and trailer. I can pretty much guarantee you'll smash part of your pickup really quick. And a skid steer is not very versatile. If you start pricing tracked skid steers, you'll be in shock. A tractor or articulating loader is much more versatile.

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #23  
A rough terrain forklift would be the most efficient For moving your pallets. Bit of a one trick pony, but it will do that one thing really well and I see used ones on CL every once in a while for a lot cheaper that used tractors. A tractor is a lot more versatile, but not ideal for your primary purpose.

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #26  
I'm agreeing with the others - for that much lifted weight a 40 hp tractor would be about the minimum size for the job. Heavy framed tractor - perhaps picking one up from an auction or classified.

Orchard tractors tend to be narrow, but the orchard shop area would certainly lift a lot of heavy pallet loads.

The skid steer might be a good choice, but the kind with agri tires, not the tiny warehouse tires. Better yet, a skid steer set up with the tracks instead of tires. I've never operated a skid steer though, and MossRoad has some good points.

happy planning.

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #27  
The hardscape guys here use skidsteers, track and wheeled, to unload pallets of pavers/block and deploy around the worksites... often going "Cross Country" when moving material to the rear patio/yard/pool areas.

I imagine a pallet of pavers is about double the 1600# requirement?

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #28  
Just a reminder that, not only does the OP want to move heavy pallets over limited terrain at least once a week... he'd also like to mount a snow-blower (eventually).

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #29  
Orchard tractors tend to be narrow, but the orchard shop area would certainly lift a lot of heavy pallet loads.

I spent my working years in the California wine industry.

Orchard and Vineyard tractors are intentionally not available with factory FELs, which introduce instability, when stability is the goal.

Primary task for Orchard and Vineyard tractors is spraying fungicides. They have large hydraulic pumps.

Last edited:
   / Buying advice for small but powerful loader #30  
I currently don't own a tractor but I have a need for something to move 1600lb pallets into the back of my pickup and/or a trailer about once a week.
Dave

Dave it sounds like your primary task is moving pallets. A skid steer is miles ahead of a tractor for this job. Maneuverability along with fork tip visibility on a SS is not even comparable to a tractor. (I have both) Each is a different tool and have their highlights and strong points such as a tractor overall will be better in your woods and is easier to mount & exit. But your loading & unloading your product & supplies and there is no such thing as "just kissed" that pallet with the forks before you have damaged your load because you can't see the forks while entering the pallet. You didn't mention a budget, but a small "telehandler" is king for this as you can "shoot" (6-8') your load to it's final destination, a much more precise motion than the whole machine moving, but then they are wider & longer than a SS as well but outfitting it for other tasks (snowblower) will not be as easy.
You won't need tracks for a SS if a normal car can operate in your loading area, but tire chains I recommend for your snow work.