Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill.

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
From 2006 when I first dreamed of a Kubota or Yanmar Cub Cadet subcompact tractor until early 2015, I always saw a Kubota BX as my most likely 1st tractor. That many years of Minnesota State Fairs to see and compare them. And in late 2014 and early 2015 it was test drives plus seeing the new competitors too.

Yet when the papers were signed, I bought a Massey Ferguson GC1715 Sub-Compact instead. . . ND bought it from a large dealer that sells both Kubota and Massey (full line).

At that time I'd predicted that although Kubota had the obvious dominance of 16 years of the SCUT market, that shear prior sales would not be the indicator of future sales.

Why would I change my mind and make such a prediction? Well it wasn't because I didn't like the BX products. But in my opinion in 2015 Kubota BX was a great product but it did not dominate the technology any longer as it had the prior 10 years. Competition was getting much betterand more broadly noticeable.

And now in 2018 we see that process has changed. We see Kubota BX products and John Deere SCUT products have significant sale pricing like never before. Late last fall and all this spring to date, Kubota BX is having significant sales and advertising of sales. Let's use some examples to clarify.:

1st off, let's recognize that the economy is doing well by most measurements and stock markets have been generous in their results for many at now record levels. . . . So the "ability" to purchase exists.

Currently a constant ad exists that you can buy a Kubota BX for as little as 99 dollars a month. (BX1880).

Next, the newest ads also feature that you get a free 54 inch mower deck with the purchase of a new Kubota BX product.

Now Kubota has never had a reputation for being very "giving" or discount oriented on their BX product line . . . so I'd define much heavier discounting and financing benefits as an indicator that Kubota is not immersed in a new competitive dynamic they've not had before (much as Toyota and Honda had happen 2 years ago when they started using substantial rebates for the 1st times on their vehicles.

My point is not that you should run out and buy a Kubota BX because of these new dramatic incentives. Instead, my point is that the competitors are far more seriously competitive today than 5 years ago in features, quality, or performance. Kubota BX and to a lesser extent John Deere are no longer the automatic choices to consider and buy for your SCUT needs.

It's not saying Kubota doesn't make fine BX products. It's saying you need to compare now more than ever because of Kubota and John Deere's own actions. . . that they aren't monopolizing the SCUT buying choice like they used to.

Other brands are not just showing up. . . but other brands are now getting sales that Kubota would have (like mine as a single example of many others). Then the next issue is, will John Deere and especially Kubota BX discounting start to effect the resale and used market pricing of scuts? I'd suggest it will over the next couple of years.
And remember. . . all this is happening during the exuberant economy and stock market too.

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #2  
King of the mountain is forever changing in all things.

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #3  
Seems we hashed all this out some time ago.

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #4  
As we all know it is great to have competition in the market. Tractor sales should increase because companies make great products and stand behind them, not because they are the only game in town. It also boils down to personal preference. It is great to have choices!

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #5  
Other brands can offer all the fluff and gadgets they want.....but when they don't work as advertised or reliably........Kubota is still getting my money, LOL.

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #6  
I was kind of hoping to read somewhere in your comments what you found better about the Massey then a similar Kubota? Or is it just that Kubota incentives are not what you wanted them to be?

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #7  
I considered GC when I bought my BX but no where could I actually see a GC... the only dealers were large AG Dealers and they did not stock GC just like Deere around here was only AG or yellow commercial.

Own 3 Kubota products, 2 Deere, 1 CAT and several collectable/antique... of the group only 2 were bought new and that was because Kubota made the effort... 4 years ago the loyalty program was in full swing... I did not technically qualify by a few months but when I contacted Kubota a loyalty discount was granted and the L3800 joined the family.

The only important thing is you like what you have no matter the brand...

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #8  
I looked hard at these little tractors over the past month. Mainly the BX23S and the GC1710. My biggest complaint about the GC1710 was the loader control stick. I am 6ft tall, and with full seat adjustment had to bend my back just a bit to reach it. Other than that, the GC1710 was a solid tractor. With the BX23S, the HST transmission doesnt function correctly in my opinion. When you let off the pedal (forward or reverse) the tractor continues to roll (as much as 10-15 ft if you are moving fast enough). That is unacceptable to me, but others may be fine with it.

That said, they both seem like capable machines.

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #9  
One would be quoting recent sales figures if they was touting who was king of the hill.... I missed that part. And if it's because they are no longer leading in technology, maybe at least one example would be given.
Until then, one data point does not make a trend...

/ Kubota subcompacts are no longer the obvious king of the subcompact hill. #10  
As we all know it is great to have competition in the market. Tractor sales should increase because companies make great products and stand behind them, not because they are the only game in town. It also boils down to personal preference. It is great to have choices!

This is one of the few times when I would have used a "like" button. :thumbsup: