How Has Tractor Buying Changed?

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I'm an old time mechanical guy and have been helping friends with machinery purchases for decades now.

Just this morning I was thinking about how the buying questions have changed as much or more than the tractors themselves. It used to be that questions centered around the reliability of some particular model or maybe how easy maintenance was going to be.
Back up 40 or 50 years and the next most common question had to do with what type of fuel was best. There was only one transmission choice at the time, and 4wd was a rumor just beginning to happen in very small tractors. Financing a tractor was rare, insurance was unknown, and dealers were knowledgeable tractor people who sold parts.

Economically, inflation roughly equaled depreciation at the time - so prices were remarkably stable.
In absolute dollars, A 20 year old used machine sold for about
20% less than the original selling price.
Young people usually bought used machines while older folks bought new.

Flash forward 40 or 50 years and financing is common; insurance mandatory.
The age of buyers has also reversed, with younger people buying new while it is the older guys who buy used.

Today the most common question I get is about dealerships.
Dealerships have suddenly acquired a whole different type of mysterious importance and I wonder why. Today's dealers tend to be more salesman than mechanics or operators - so it isn稚 anything technical. Parts are as commonly bought online as at a dealership.
So why the concern with the dealership? It puzzles me. After all, this is a tractor, not a child. It's possible that a new owner might want to stop by the dealership to share coffee and chat now and again, but it would be an unusual tractor that ever needed to see the inside of the dealership again.

The second most common question after dealerships are what I call "armchair questions". They are comparing brochure specs, HP, weight, lifting strength, transmission type, and above all the ergonomics of style & comfort. These are the fun questions and lots of fun to debate. Although after all the talking, any real answer is a personal thing - best done by getting on a tractor and trying it out.
Enjoy!
rScotty

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #2  
I think your comments apply to those of us who do not depend on our tractors & equipment to put food on the table.

For commercial crop farmers, time is money -- delays in planting and harvesting reduce yields. If I was a commercial crop farmer, I would only do business with dealers that have parts on hand and who have mechanics who can deal with the complexities of today's machinery.

Steve

Last edited:
   / How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #3  
I agree, smstonypoint. There is a huge difference between suburbanites and hobby farmers and the commercial farming community who's livelihood depends on farming. I spend a lot of time in the mid-west and the Dakotas every year and it's unbelievable the amount of inventory those machinery dealers and farm stores carry to accommodate the farmers and ranchers.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #4  
This looks to be a great discussion! I would likely fall into one of the middle of the road crowds with regards to tractor buying. I grew up around a farm. We had one tractor dealership in the town, he sold Belarus. We had an old H Farmall and a Belarus. I don't remember ever going to the dealership, except to purchase the tractor. We fixed everything in the barn. That said the baler was the most sophisticated piece of equipment we owned. Fast forward 30 years and a bunch of suburban living; the wife and I have plans to return to the country. Technology has changed things quite a bit. Tractors are built with conveniences like cars, and some tractor salesmen seem more like car salesmen. I have been around to no less than 8 dealerships for various manufacturers in the past few months. The knowledge and skill of salesmen varies greatly.

Coming from someone that is re-educating themselves about tractors after 30 years, I am looking for certain things from a dealership. So many things we buy these days don't last. Quantity and convenience over quality. Somehow we seem to be ok with having to replace things in a few years. It is less expensive to buy another than to have it repaired. As such I have to remind myself that this is not they way I should be thinking about a $30-70k machine. So when I run across a salesman that seems like he/she came from car sales, I walk away.

I am most nervous about having a good dealer, because of my experience with how often things break down these days. How complex electronics make a simple diesel engine into something we need a computer to diagnose. I want a dealer that understands, responds, and solves, as there is a good chance I won't have the advanced electronics to do so.

On another note, the subcompact and compact tractor market has exploded. Guys like me that grew up on farms now have the chance to mold a suburban lifestyle with some of the farm. Put in a garden, get a horse, etc. That really wasn't something that happened often 30-years ago. The features only on larger tractors have now been shrunk to the subcompacts. As a result we have an entire market segment that is getting into a real tractor (even if it weighs less than a Prius).

Lastly, I want to thank all of you for the help and experience you provide Without you all it would be the salesman and I, which is not a good matchup :)

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #5  
I spend a lot of time in the mid-west and the Dakotas every year and it's unbelievable the amount of inventory those machinery dealers and farm stores carry to accommodate the farmers and ranchers.

Last year (late summer/early fall), I saw a JD combine that appeared to be in its first season parked in a nearby partially-harvested corn field for nearly a week. That couldn't have been good for the farmer's bottom line.

The combine belonged to one of my county's largest farming operations. Word at the barbershop is that the family had four combines last year -- three new under lease and an older owned model. At one time, the three leased models were down for repairs and only the older model was operable.* :eek:

Steve

* I realize that four combines wouldn't be especially noteworthy in some areas, but it is in mine.

Steve

Last edited:
   / How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #6  
I think this is particularly true of the CUT SCUT buyers. Many are new to tractors in general. And their uses are totally different. I have slowly become one of those. Less farming and more chores and land maintenance. More of my use has slowly become more of a choice than a need.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #7  
With every survey I get from Kubota, I complain about their poor parts availability. I farm with my cousin and nephew. We have a lineup of old Internationals, newer John Deeres, newer New Hollands, and several Kubotas. We each buy equipment separately to keep from losing everything when one goes broke or something like that. I have one piece of Caterpillar equipment, my hydraulic excavator. Being a retired person with farming as my second career, I don't have many years left so I tend to be aggressive when I use my own equipment, especially my Caterpillar mini-excavator which is a lot of fun. Every time I have had a breakdown (mostly track tensioners from operator abuse) Cat has never failed to have my replacement part on hand by 7am the following morning. Kubota - I waited 11 days for a replacement cable for the loader valve on my L5740. That is an example - a low cost replacement part that failed early but took an unacceptable time. Same thing with our Deeres - we've had to wait weeks for some replacement parts. New Holland no different. The CUT I can tolerate down time but the larger farm tractors are down time critical. Caterpillar supplying contractors has, from my experience, understands that down time is $$$ lost to an owner. I thought Deere was the same way but now having experience with them have lost confidence. My nephew and his old Internationals - breakdowns expected so he has collected backups - 15 at last count with 3 broke down longer than one year. We also have experienced slow repair parts availability with our New Hollands - tractors and haying equipment. Unless manufactures can guarantee equipment that will never break down no matter how used, we need better support. If they sell something to us, a replacement parts should be available within one day. (okay, I do admit to a Caterpillar history. My last years I was responsible for a product line. Before we could release for shipment we had to have a 30 day parts supply available for all service parts.)

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #8  
I just ordered hydraulic cartridges for my mower from Hydraforce. I was totally shocked to hear 18 week delivery!. Apparently Deere and CAT have to wait the same amount of time for their orders of hydraulic components. I just need to cut my grass. Some people need to make a living (and pay for) their equipment.

As far as buying a tractor. It's getting so you have to make an appointment with a salesperson (probably not what they are called anymore) (some kind of associate?) and in trying to do so, will just get VM. Rest assured though, the recording will assure you just how important your call is.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #9  
I very much agree with you that buying has changed, and not in good ways. I have a series of YouTube videos coming out about some of those things. Specifically, too many people doing internet only research and doing comparisons using spreadsheets with numbers they do not understand. Tractor and implement design is beginning to change to push big numbers for your glossy brochure at the expense of common sense engineering. Its not good for the buyer, or the industry. This is why I'd say that a good salesperson from a good dealership is as important as ever.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #10  
Cat has never failed to have my replacement part on hand by 7am the following morning. Kubota - I waited 11 days for a replacement cable for the loader valve on my L5740. That is an example - a low cost replacement part that failed early but took an unacceptable time. Same thing with our Deeres - we've had to wait weeks for some replacement parts. New Holland no different.

There are some industry reasons for this. Some companies bake in the high-cost of next-day delivery service to the dealer into their parts pricing, while Kubota does not. You can get parts that quickly... you just have to ask. Its not the default service level. Some less experienced parts tech's may not know to ask some of these questions. Thats part of why Kubota parts as as a whole quite a bit cheaper than some other makes.