Buying Advice LS the old Landini?

/ LS the old Landini? #11  
You ask if " Will the LS stack up to the Mahindra, John Deere (??), and Kubota of the tractor world? "

I would have to say Yes. With everything I have seen and heard of LS both on here and the 5 Owners that I personally Know I would not hesitate to buy one myself.

/ LS the old Landini? #12  
I wasn't aware LS made Landini, but understand the concern chas0218 has, due to the association between LS and Landini. We have a Montana made by LS at work that colors my view on the LS tractors. It is rough around the edges and we had problems for the first year or so. Most were minor, but the very thin dealer network made it a 3 hour round trip and most repairs couldn't be done while someone waited.

The QA bucket works OK but it takes a team to remove and reinstall the entire loader frame (an operation I can do in a couple minutes by myself on my L3200 and the B7500 it replaced).

Parts have been an issue. When the "dealership" is a small family operation done as a side business to help support the farm, there isn't much of a Parts Department. If it is not something they have on the shelf, you need to wait for the container ship to arrive and the parts to clear Customs.

Parts for most other brands are quite available. Last Spring I replaced the front axle seals / bearings in the old Ford 1210. Messicks had the parts within days for the 30 year old tractor. Messick is so close I could borrow a girl's bike to make the trip and get there before I had a chance to be embarrassed.

In recent years I've seen many reports from happy LS owners, so maybe they cleaned up their act now that they're putting their own name on the tractors. Can't guess how available parts might currently be.

/ LS the old Landini? #13  
I'm not familiar with the older LS made tractors but in general Korean manufacturers have significantly upped their game in the past 20 years. I've been happy with my LS (1 year, 65 hours with no issues) and would buy it again. My only concern would be if I was using it commercially due to the distance to a dealer (2 hours) and the somewhat thin dealer network. I do have a New Holland dealer 20 mins away and many parts interchange with New Holland models but they obviously won't do warranty service. When I was shopping around, a similarly equipped tractor from competitive brands were $5- $10K more.

/ LS the old Landini?
100 hours X 40 years = 4,000 hours.

An inside stored, carefully maintained LS tractor, with a prudent owner/operator at the controls should go 12,000 engine hours without an overhaul. You will be dead before the tractor.

You will need fuel, fluids, filters, hydraulic lines, tires, batteries occasionally.

My Kubota dealer does all my tractor service except fueling and greasing. I figure my Kubota L3560 tractor operating cost, including multiple implement depreciation, is $35/engine hour.
My concern isn't the amount of hours as there are tractors with close to 10k hours, but more of premature failure from substandard parts like in Landinis case. I understand that sometimes you get a part that fails with minimal hours because of manufacturing defects those are unavoidable as every party isn't inspected.

Basically just looking for someone to reassure me that I'm not buying a $20k paper weight.
That is a cogent point, but it kind of hurts to see it in print. It reminds us we no longer have the invincibility of our youth.
Yeah, as much as we don't want to admit it.
Do you still have the two Kubotas? Both are good models and highly regarded in their respective size classes. Do you need a third? Or are you after a backhoe?
Well the L2800 was traded in with the 4000 for the newer L5460. This is my parents tractor about 2hrs without the ability to transport it. I need a tractor for my little 40 acres something smaller (physically smaller) than 50hp, also need a backhoe which the Kubota doesn't have.
You ask if " Will the LS stack up to the Mahindra, John Deere (??), and Kubota of the tractor world? "

I would have to say Yes. With everything I have seen and heard of LS both on here and the 5 Owners that I personally Know I would not hesitate to buy one myself.
That was my thought, I just used those brands because they originally set the bar for tractors today quality and capabilities wise. Similar to what IH, Allis, and older Deere did in the 50s and 60s.

/ LS the old Landini?
I'm not familiar with the older LS made tractors but in general Korean manufacturers have significantly upped their game in the past 20 years. I've been happy with my LS (1 year, 65 hours with no issues) and would buy it again. My only concern would be if I was using it commercially due to the distance to a dealer (2 hours) and the somewhat thin dealer network. I do have a New Holland dealer 20 mins away and many parts interchange with New Holland models but they obviously won't do warranty service. When I was shopping around, a similarly equipped tractor from competitive brands were $5- $10K more.

That is what I have been reading and seeing among newer LS users. A friend of mine bought the XJ 2025H and haven't had many serious issues. His diesel pump developed a leak that was fixed under warranty basically all it needed was a new line to one of the injectors. Something he could have done but they came to his house to fix it. He had a loader hose spring a leak because the fitting wasn't threaded correctly and again they came out and fixed it and topped off the fluid. Really nothing major and well within my capabilities to fix if it happened to me.

I wasn't aware LS made Landini, but understand the concern chas0218 has, due to the association between LS and Landini. We have a Montana made by LS at work that colors my view on the LS tractors. It is rough around the edges and we had problems for the first year or so. Most were minor, but the very thin dealer network made it a 3 hour round trip and most repairs couldn't be done while someone waited.

The QA bucket works OK but it takes a team to remove and reinstall the entire loader frame (an operation I can do in a couple minutes by myself on my L3200 and the B7500 it replaced).

Parts have been an issue. When the "dealership" is a small family operation done as a side business to help support the farm, there isn't much of a Parts Department. If it is not something they have on the shelf, you need to wait for the container ship to arrive and the parts to clear Customs.

Parts for most other brands are quite available. Last Spring I replaced the front axle seals / bearings in the old Ford 1210. Messicks had the parts within days for the 30 year old tractor. Messick is so close I could borrow a girl's bike to make the trip and get there before I had a chance to be embarrassed.

In recent years I've seen many reports from happy LS owners, so maybe they cleaned up their act now that they're putting their own name on the tractors. Can't guess how available parts might currently be.
The loader frame will remain on the trator for the majority of its life, just too much work for the little bit of time I wouldn't need it. On our old L3200 we never removed the loader since we owned it new until 3 years ago. The bucket we switched out for a snow plow in the winter, it also wasn't a QA loader so it was a pain pulling the pins getting grease all over at least it was only twice a year.

I will be using this in the winter to haul firewood back and forth to the house along with plowing the driveway and such. All in all it will be used as a tractor and might be pushed to its limits once and a while definitely not babied but not abused either. From what I can find parts wise the dealers around me stock a good amount of parts. I'm hoping I won't need any parts but we all know that won't be the case no matter what brand tractor.

The only thing I can see that sets the LS apart from others is the hydraulic pump has higher flow and pressure giving the tractor better capabilities. Also the Mitsubishi engine reaches peak PTO rpm at a lower engine RPM than the Yanmar powered tractors. Less RPM means longer engine life so that is a plus.

/ LS the old Landini? #16  
Messick is so close I could borrow a girl's bike to make the trip and get there before I had a chance to be embarrassed.

/ LS the old Landini? #17  
The only thing I can see that sets the LS apart from others is the hydraulic pump has higher flow and pressure giving the tractor better capabilities. Also the Mitsubishi engine reaches peak PTO rpm at a lower engine RPM than the Yanmar powered tractors. Less RPM means longer engine life so that is a plus.

Most smaller LS models have the Mitsubishi engine and quite a few larger models also depending on the year and model. LS has been using Mitsubishi, Shibaura, and now their own LS engine.

/ LS the old Landini? #18  
I use my LS g3033 quite a bit in from March to November growing grapes commercially. It is operated by my crew as well as me. I bought it in 2012, and it has never gone back to the dealer shop. I probably over service it, because I like to err on the side of caution. I am simply not willing to pay the price tag for a new Kubota Yanmar or John Deere, though I have a ton of respect for each of them. Two affordable brands I would not hesitate to trust these days are Kioti, and LS.

To compare today痴 LS units to an older Century or a Landini, is to compare today痴 Ford vehichles to an Edsel.
I don稚 care which of the tractors mentioned above you end up buying, you will end up with a very nice tractor, not to worry.