54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet #21  
So here is a pretty good summary from a shop tech on the difference between a box store assembly and one from your local dealer.
Lowes, Home Depot lawn mowers, what are you getting? - YouTube

After listening to him explain all the finer points a local dealer goes through, no doubt the few hundred saved at a box store is not worth future headaches.

Also my dealer in Paige, a Cub Cadet dealer as well explained that the models they carry use double sealed bearing versus the standard single sealed bearing from those box stores.
Maybe if possible stop by a local cub dealer and ask him.

There is also a difference in a lawn tractor versus a garden tractor.
One poster mentioned what else will you be using it for. Because a garden tractor has a heavier frame and better options for pulling a assortment of implements as well. The lawn tractor just has a stamped metal hitch, not very heavy.

Welcome to TBN and let us what you got and why.

kindest regards

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet
So here is a pretty good summary from a shop tech on the difference between a box store assembly and one from your local dealer.
Lowes, Home Depot lawn mowers, what are you getting? - YouTube

After listening to him explain all the finer points a local dealer goes through, no doubt the few hundred saved at a box store is not worth future headaches.

Also my dealer in Paige, a Cub Cadet dealer as well explained that the models they carry use double sealed bearing versus the standard single sealed bearing from those box stores.
Maybe if possible stop by a local cub dealer and ask him.

There is also a difference in a lawn tractor versus a garden tractor.
One poster mentioned what else will you be using it for. Because a garden tractor has a heavier frame and better options for pulling a assortment of implements as well. The lawn tractor just has a stamped metal hitch, not very heavy.

Welcome to TBN and let us what you got and why.

kindest regards

Thanks a lot for the info and yes, will go pay a visit to the dealer.

I dont think that i will use it for much more than mowing. I tow very ocassionaly and really lightly nothing excesive and it snows here like 3 times a year .

Mostly im interested on a bigger deck (54) that is fabricated as i keep bumping into stuff and need it to take the beating, that is powerful and will last me for years.

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet #23  
Ferris has a 300 series now (without suspension) if you are looking zero turn.. have not looked at the specs in detail, but am very happy with my Ferris 700.

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet
BTW i was on club cadet site and found another very interesting model XT1 GT54, it has a K62 transmission! no locking diff but at least is a better option, 25HP Kholer and the price is just right at 2,899, will go ask the dealer about it tomorrow.

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet #25  
Once you hit the k6* you're going over $3k usually. Transmission and engine are the 2 biggest price determinations.

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet #26  
I've had good luck with returning stuff to the big box stores. When my Troy Built log splitter died days after getting it I was told to bring it to a shop for warranty repair. The shop said that I failed to put hydraulic oil in it (not sure how you could split a half cord and have wear marks on the beam from use without oil to make the ram move). So I called Lowes and they said return it to the store I bought it at for a replacement (no charge). I don't know if the shop was mad because I didn't buy it there but I know I'll never buy a thing from them. A few months after the main heating element burnt up in my Maytag oven the repair man Maytag had come out said that there weren't any elements and it could be 6 months before a new one could be made. When I called Home Depot the lady I talked to said give her a day. The next day I got a call from her and she told me that Maytag was pulling the element out of a new oven and sending it to the repair guy. She also apologized for having to go through it. Turns out when a small shop calls up a big company they are just one small voice. When a large box store calls up they take notice.

Personally I would be less worried about the name on the tractor and the color of the paint and more about the engine and transmission. I like the fabricated decks on the Husky mowers as they look like they could be repaired easier when they rust out. My last riding mower was an MTD Super Bronco with a Kohler Courage engine. The mower has been abused pretty badly but still works fine. The engine, not so much. I would imagine that their nicer engines are better but I swore off Kohler engines (A coworker had a lot more problems with his than mine). When I decided to replace it I was looking in the $3000 ish range. I ended up buying a used Deere x500 for not too much more. It was only a year old and less than 50 hours with the original warranty good to spring of 2020. High end riding mowers don't hold their value like a tractor.

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet #27  
I use to work as a Tool Maker at the Husqvarna plant that manufactures all the Husqvarna mowers except for I think one style of mower that I don't think is even in N/A. All built many other brands mowers such as Craftsman, Arien(selling), Poulan, Poulan Pro, Weedeater, McCulloch, etc,etc. Many different brands. Even though they are basically the same mowers with different body coverings, colors and stickers, etc my favorite brand we manufactured for was always Dixon. They just had really nice seats, controls, and things like that.
http://m.dixon-ztr.com/us/

Just like any other manufacturer Husqvarna has their low-end products that are often junk, (Stay away from products with the transmissions that use plastic in their gears as they are total crap and many don't even get 5 hours out of them) but they also have higher-end homeowner and professional products that are very nice equipment. For example the RZ models are their budget ZTR mowers where the MZ and PZ model ZTR mowers are much better built mowers and are very good. They rate their equipment by how many hours they should last. Some of the cheapest stuff was only 800 hour where the better stuff was in the 4000+ hour range. As far as motors go everyone like the Kawasaki's and they are great, but the Kolher and Briggs and Stratton motor are very good as well.

Personally we have had an ExMark since 03 and it's been a great mower. Just follow the owners manual maintenance schedule. It has a Kolher CV20 and it's never had an issue.

One thing I like about the JD from talking to my local dealer is they don't use Fab decks only stamped deck even on their professional mowers. While Fab decks are great for strength and durability they are generally not considered to leave as nice a cut. This is because they get a lot more welded on so they get hotter during their manufacturing and it's much harder to keep them within a certain tolerance than a deck that is stamped. The allowed tolerance at Husqvarna for a stamped deck is much smaller than it is for fabbed deck. Don't get me wrong their are some Fab deck mowers that produce a very nice and even cut including my ExMark, this is just me speaking in general. Still while JD might not have a fabbed deck they have invested in the tooling for the manufacturing of their professional stamped decks to use the same gauge material as most fabbed decks so that you get strength and robustness of a good Fab deck with the tighter tolerances and flatter/more square decks that is more common with the stamped decks.

FYI Husqvarna considers JD their main competition in the riding lawnmower world, but Cub Cadet and I believe now Kubota are starting to climb the ranks as well.

BTW if possible I would try to buy from a dealer regardless of brand. If something is not right with your mower they would likely be more helpful and take care of you better than say Lowe's or HOME Depot, etc.

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet #28  
I use to work as a Tool Maker at the Husqvarna plant that manufactures all the Husqvarna mowers except for I think one style of mower that I don't think is even in N/A. All built many other brands mowers such as Craftsman, Arien(selling), Poulan, Poulan Pro, Weedeater, McCulloch, etc,etc. Many different brands. Even though they are basically the same mowers with different body coverings, colors and stickers, etc my favorite brand we manufactured for was always Dixon. They just had really nice seats, controls, and things like that.
http://m.dixon-ztr.com/us/

Just like any other manufacturer Husqvarna has their low-end products that are often junk, (Stay away from products with the transmissions that use plastic in their gears as they are total crap and many don't even get 5 hours out of them) but they also have higher-end homeowner and professional products that are very nice equipment. For example the RZ models are their budget ZTR mowers where the MZ and PZ model ZTR mowers are much better built mowers and are very good. They rate their equipment by how many hours they should last. Some of the cheapest stuff was only 800 hour where the better stuff was in the 4000+ hour range. As far as motors go everyone like the Kawasaki's and they are great, but the Kolher and Briggs and Stratton motor are very good as well.

Personally we have had an ExMark since 03 and it's been a great mower. Just follow the owners manual maintenance schedule. It has a Kolher CV20 and it's never had an issue.

One thing I like about the JD from talking to my local dealer is they don't use Fab decks only stamped deck even on their professional mowers. While Fab decks are great for strength and durability they are generally not considered to leave as nice a cut. This is because they get a lot more welded on so they get hotter during their manufacturing and it's much harder to keep them within a certain tolerance than a deck that is stamped. The allowed tolerance at Husqvarna for a stamped deck is much smaller than it is for fabbed deck. Don't get me wrong their are some Fab deck mowers that produce a very nice and even cut including my ExMark, this is just me speaking in general. Still while JD might not have a fabbed deck they have invested in the tooling for the manufacturing of their professional stamped decks to use the same gauge material as most fabbed decks so that you get strength and robustness of a good Fab deck with the tighter tolerances and flatter/more square decks that is more common with the stamped decks.

FYI Husqvarna considers JD their main competition in the riding lawnmower world, but Cub Cadet and I believe now Kubota are starting to climb the ranks as well.

BTW if possible I would try to buy from a dealer regardless of brand. If something is not right with your mower they would likely be more helpful and take care of you better than say Lowe's or HOME Depot, etc.

That was a very enlightening post. Thanks for that.

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet #29  
Personally, my father-in-law has the 54 inch Husqvarna and he loves it. We have had 100 series John Deere's before and I would not get another one solely because the only way to backup with the deck running is to push a little button that you have to find each time. Husqvarna and the other manufacturer's have a key position that you use to let you back up with the mower deck on but for some reason John Deere does not do that.

Aaron Z

/ 54 inch mower Husqvarna vs Troy-Bilt vs JD vs Club Cadet #30  
You can fix that easily with a wire jumper.