How do you sharpen you blades?

/ How do you sharpen you blades? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Ramps! Man are you crazy......We don't want to see a Squashed gator!....Doesn't every one take their MMM deck off and then take blades off? )</font>
Are you going to tell how you do yours, or are you interested in ridiculing others' ways of doing it? Seems maybe you're not sure how you should do it. Usually when someone says they have a good way of doing something, they tell how they do it and then ask how others do. Your post is coming off as fairly offensive to me. John

/ How do you sharpen you blades?
Did not mean to offend Anyone!...I have for over 20 years been using Car ramps to take off my blades.......It is just that on another forum everybody thought I was crazy for using ramps...and they all took their MMM deck off to sharpen blades.....
I thought that was just stupid.......I would NEVER SHARPEN my blades if that is what I had to do to get blades off....That **** deck is hard to get out from under tractor......

I think that on this forum everyone is scared to death to post anything because there are a few people who jump all of the posts...and criticize or make fun of everyone......I have gotten alot of PM that told me who these people are...and LOL there they were.....I guess they have nothing else to do.......

I thought that I could learn some things here, and that I could contribute some of the things I have learned from all of the years I have been collecting knowledge about tractors and Lawn care , BUT I can see everyone here already Knows everything, or they are AFRAID to speak up because they will be jumped on by you OLD REGULARS that pounce on every post like a duck on a June bug. And by the way, Don't wear you feelings on you sleeve.

Just go look at all the posts here, not just mine....but all new posts......and you can see the people I am talking about!

/ How do you sharpen you blades? #13  
You crack me up Henro!

/ How do you sharpen you blades? #14  
Consider the source and place a value on it. I don't even reply to some of them and there are a few that I wouldn't help out of quicksand if they were sinking fast. I was gone for a couple of weeks, so I guess that you were the new whipping boy.
Getting back to the blades.... I just throw the old set away and put a new set on..... I believe that this is known as the "old fashioned way"..... disposable blades for disposable tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How do you sharpen you blades? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have for over 20 years been using Car ramps to take off my blades.......It is just that on another forum everybody thought I was crazy for using ramps...and they all took their MMM deck off to sharpen blades..... )</font>
I see no reason at all that you shouldn't use the car ramps. Why would anyone go to all the trouble of taking off a MMM if the ramps work? Sounds good to me. There are enough difficult things to do everyday, no need to make blade sharpening harder than it has to be.
I hope you'll understand that my comments about your earlier replies came about because of the way you answered the posters. OK Wisenheimers; you're crazy; etc. just sounds bad to me. I also "jumped" on someone once who was making fun of the way someone else spelled something. Did they need to do that? Was it productive or teaching anyone anything? Nope. Hey, I'm just a member here too and sometimes I say things I shouldn't and someone corrects me, and we get over it. I've enjoyed your posts so far and I hope you continue. As for anyone being "afraid" to post, there's no need for that. Unless their only desire is to attack others without cause why should they be afraid? John

/ How do you sharpen you blades? #16  
Ferr,

For what it's worth, I didn't look upon your method of posting all that favorably, either. When I first read the header to your post I thought that you wanted to know how people actually performed that task or, possibly, that you had a better way to do it you were going to share that I might be benefitted by learning. Here we are on the second page and you still haven't offered a thing that I can see.

Generally I find that people come here either to help or to learn. I guess I'm hard pressed to see where this fits in. If you have a better way to do this, I'd love to hear about it. Frankly, I'd loved to have known about it when I first read your post because, since then, I've actually sharpened blades. You might actually have saved me some time and effort if that had been your interest instead of posting some kind of guessing game.

I hope you'll continue to post here and enjoy this forum for what it is. There are a lot of great folks here with a true wealth of information here who are more than willing not only to share it but to go out of their way to help someone else.

So, for next time, what is the best and quickest way to sharpen my blades?

/ How do you sharpen you blades?
I really did post that same thing on another tractor fourm, and said I used car ramps and had been doing so for years....Well they all told me I was crazy!! I thought if I posted here that I use ramps, that they would jumjp all over me for doing so! There were at least 10 replies telling me you HAD to take the deck off...and that I would be killed.....the Kubota book said you had to take the deck off....and some even jacked it up...talk about dangerous!...Sorry about you wasting time.....but you probably already use ramps.....I thought I thought that one up!.....

/ How do you sharpen you blades? #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Here we are on the second page and you still haven't offered a thing that I can see )</font>

No go Gary.. .. he answered your question with a reprint of his message a few messages up... These are one of those posts that i opt not to answer /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Looks like he's trolling.. considerings he had been asked twice anyway...
Perhaps he needs to spend the night in a holiday in express?

Later.. I've got some moe intersting threads to go read! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soundguy

/ How do you sharpen you blades? #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I thought if I posted here that I use ramps, that they would jumjp all over me for doing so! There were at least 10 replies telling me you HAD to take the deck off...and that I would be killed )</font>
Ferrari, one thing you should understand about any forum is that we all just have our own opinions. You shouldn't care if people think your way is wrong, because it works for you it isn't. Sounds like you would be careful, and that you love yourself enough to do it right, so just say how you do it. How about going through the process as you suggested earlier that others do, start to finish. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to have your input on exactly how to sharpen blades. I, myself use a Dremel tool with an aluminum oxice grinder on it for most of my blades. On the BH, I lift it on the 3pt hitch and can easily get to the blades. I hold the tool at the original angle of the blade and grind across the blade end to end of the cutting surface. Only on the top as grinding the bottom will only weaken the blade. Of course any burrs on the bottom can be lightly ground off, but don't try to sharpen from the bottom. If using a cutting file, start at on end and push the file from front to back at a diagonal angle to the cutting edge, keeping the aspect to the original cut. Don't file back and forth, it will ruin the file. Simply push the file over the cutting edge, pick it up and start again until you reach the end of the cutting area. Do that until they blades are sharp. A razor's edge is not necessary or necessarily wanted. At the speed these blades turn, a "rather" sharp edge is all that's needed. Some say that a too sharp edge is actually bad for the blade and aids in chips in the metal. I think that's valid. Some use oil in addition, but I don't. Anyone think I should? John

/ How do you sharpen you blades? #20  
Hi
I think I sharpen my blades about every 2 years and then I just take out most of the nicks using an angle grinder. I have a push mower thats 5 years old and never had the blade off and it cuts just fine. the only difference between a good cut and a bad cut is about 2 weeks. and on a bush hog a dull blade is better so you don't leave a sharp stub to puncture a tractor tire.

Charlie.