Buying Advice Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #21  
I don't think I'll be using the FEL all that much, so are there any reasons besides cost to decide on the size of the bucket?

OH YES YOU WILL!!

According to my local Kubota dealer the two most common reasons customers trade in tractors is 1) for more tractor weight/capability, 2) desire for more FEL lift. Kubota dealer tells me it is about a 50%/50% split in north/central Florida.

On a Kubota 'B' you can choose between the standard bucket and a higher volume capacity LIGHT MATERIALS BUCKET. Order the standard bucket. You cannot pick up a full bucket of dirt with the LIGHT MATERIALS BUCKET, the Loader does not have hydraulic cylinder capacity to lift it. The standard bucket is thicker steel = more robust.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #22  
Leaning towards the B2601 over the B2650. Going out this morning to actually look at them.

i was looking at both of those and the b2650 is a lot more tractor for about $1200. i went with the b2650

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #23  
i was looking at both of those and the b2650 is a lot more tractor for about $1200. i went with the b2650

I owned/operated two 'standard' tractors earlier in life. Now I have a Kubota Grand L, heavier, fully equipped relative to the B2650. The extra $1,200 will be some of the best money you ever spend.

VIDEO: Kubota B5-Series tractors, B265 & B335. Review and functions | Messick's - YouTube

It is worth $400 for the telescoping, pin-adjustable Three Point Hitch stabilizers, which are standard on the B2650.
Kubota Standard L Series L843 Telescopic Stabilizer kit (overview and install) - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #24  
Telescoping lower links and stabilizers make hitching up implements MUCH easier- no kicking and shoving the implement to get it exactly lined up.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #25  
i have the 60" bucket. whether or not it is less heavy duty than the 54" i don't know. couldn't find the weights online. the 60" has more volume which is why i got it. it is 3/16" steel for the bucket with 1/4" steal for the SSQA if i manage to bend it i've done something stupid. i don't know if the 54" is thicker, but i doubt it. i have lifted a bucket full of dirt at least 4ft maybe 5ft off the ground no issues. i've been using the loader to raise tents, maxxed it the last time out at 3ft from the ground, with guessing 1400-1500 lbs a ft or so in front of the pins. i would get the bigger bucket

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #26  
Seems like a post I made last night never made it up. To sum up...

- Kubota B series has mid-PTO standard. If you don't need any mid-PTO implements, that's a $800-1000 feature that you will never use.
- Keep in mind that you're pretty close to the minimum PTO HP requirements for the 54" flail on any of the ~26hp machines.
- if you're considering extend the budget from the initial $15k, consider maybe stepping up to a ~35hp w/ 28-20 PTO hp. Then run a 60-66" flail. FWIW, I was quoted <$19k for a Kioti CK3510 HST w/ loader, ~29 PTO HP, and it will lift 50% more than the B26xx w/ a 66" bucket. (That's about the MSRP for a B2601 w/ loader, and probably ballpark selling price for an L2501 HST.) For $2k over that, the CK3510SE has pretty much all the optional equipment of the CK3510, including dual rear remotes in case you want to go with the flail w/ the hydraulic offset.
- Extendable links are nice (I got them on our CK3510SE), but if you're not planning on any other implements than the mower, how often will you take the flail off? (On the other hand, they're not too expensive.)

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower
Yeah, I know I'm unfortunately right at the minimum HP. And I'm already upping the budget to close to $20K. One problem with Kioti is that the closest dealership is 65 miles away, Here I have two Kubota dealers, one at 15 miles and the other a bit over 20. Being a newbie, I will likely make more use of the dealer than a more seasoned user.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower
Don't know why, but NC has two different Fairviews -- one outside Asheville (mine) and one outside Charlotte (yours).

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #30  
Yeah, I know I'm unfortunately right at the minimum HP. And I'm already upping the budget to close to $20K. One problem with Kioti is that the closest dealership is 65 miles away, Here I have two Kubota dealers, one at 15 miles and the other a bit over 20. Being a newbie, I will likely make more use of the dealer than a more seasoned user.

This has been an inspirational thread. Good info throughout. Jerik, congrats to you for listening to some good advice from the old timers. I'll be interested to see what you end up with.
Tractors not only help us do our hobbies, they're a hobby in themselves.
luck, rScotty
rScotty