Buying Advice Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #1  

Jerik

Tractor
Kubota B2650
So I am a complete newbie, never even owned a riding mower. My wife and I bought a 9 acres spread 20 years ago as a retirement home. We rented out the house and paid someone to bush-hog the half of the fields twice a year for $500 a pop. Two other fields were being hayed by a neighbor, and another neighbor fenced in another pasture for their cow. Sometimes I would cut the sections of lawn with my push mower (3+ hours), sometimes hire someone. But now the cow is gone, the first neighbor is talking about moving further south, and we are in the house. I figure it is time for me to do the mowing.

My wife was the one who first heard about flail mowers and they really appeal to us. I've been doing some research, found this forum, and have learned a lot. At this point I am thinking about a JD 1025R (PTO = 18 HP) or a Kubota BX-2380 (PTO = 17.7) or a Kubota BX-2680 (PTO = 19.5), along with a WoodMaxx FM-54 (minimum PTO = 18 HP). I figure getting a new tractor will make it much easier on me with service & maintenance, being a newbie, plus the used ones I've seen listed almost always come with either a FEL or a mower. Since I would be using it almost exclusively to pull the flail, I'm thinking I can save $3K by not getting a loader.

How important is having a position control 3 point hitch with a flail mower? Since the flail is supposed to ride on the rear roller, it seems to me that the having the 3 point hitch either up or down is sufficient, but I could easily be missing something.

Some people in the forum like the Caroni flail, but I figure the WoodMaxx is a bit wider, needs less PTO, 20% lighter and $300 less expensive with the shipping. Also a lot of people on the forum have been getting wider flail mowers, but the tractor is a sub-compact, and as someone else said in the forum, I have more time than money, so I think a 4-footer should be OK.

Given that I'm not planning to get a FEL, the one dealer I've been to so far said that I needed front end weights. How much is needed?

The lawn is by no means pristine, so I'm hoping that I can get by doing most of it with the flail instead of using a regular mower, and don't want to spend the close-to-$2K for a belly mower. The fields are pretty clear, both rolling and flat, nowhere that I would term steep. Most of the fields have some trees, but not many. We'e always had a bunch of honey locust treelets sprouting up which we then have to deal with by hand, so I figure more frequent mowing will help stop that. I'm not going to making new trails, pretty much maintaining the fields, so I shouldn't need anything heavy duty.

Given my application, I'm still unsure of which flail blades would be best. WoodMaxx says to use the duckfoot blades for clearing saplings (1" diameter or less), and the Y-blades for grasses, but I thought I read here that the duckfoot blades give a nice appearance to lawns. Does it make sense to spring for both set of knifes, based on the application? Also, should the tractor have turf tires or industrial ones?

Another issue is how to handle the unpacking and setup of the flail when it gets delivered by the liftgate truck to the top of my gravel driveway.

Any comments, advice, and/or suggestions would all be appreciated. Now I need to convince my wife that spending $15K+- on the pair is money well spent.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #2  
Pay for the Liftgate service for delivery of the flail, cut the straps from the pallet, then back the tractor up to it and hook up the 3pt. At most you should only need to put the pins in the mower to move it, and then you can finish any setup tasks at your garage.

I don't think you need the height position control w/ the flail. It's more for implements that are suspended from the 3pt. You should be able to adjust the cutting height of the flail on the flail itself.

You might want the front end weights w/o a loader.

If the fields have any soft/muddy patches, you'll probably want the Industrial tires. For a tractor the size of what you're looking at, they shouldn't be too hard on the turf. Turf tires are for manicured lawns.

Don't count out the Kioti CK2510 for your needs. 19.5hp @ the PTO if you go with the manual (which could be fine for mowing mostly open fields), or 19hp for the HST version. Try both. And if you do get the loader it should be able to lift the flail off the truck, though if you have no other use for it I wouldn't bother. Kioti's HQ is in your area as well.

If you do get the belly mower, consider that you may also need the mid-PTO, which may be an additional $800-1000. I like the idea of the flail, and I think either set of blades would be fine.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #3  
So I am a complete newbie, never even owned a riding mower.

Unless your pastures are rut, bump and hole free, the dinky wheels on a subcompact tractor will give you a bucking bronco ride which will slow your mowing.

For nine acres in retirement I would not be without a Front End Loader. Think of the Loader as a powered wheelbarrow.

Heavier tractors are built on larger frames with larger wheels/tires. Heavier tractors with large diameter tires have more tractive power pulling ground contact implements, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Larger wheels and tires mean more ground clearance, enabling a heavier tractor to bridge holes, ruts and downed tree limbs with less bucking, yielding a less disturbing passage over rough ground.

Here is a mowing calculator. I hate mowing in hot months. With a 48" mower, nine acres at 1-3/4 mph will take more than ELEVEN uncomfortable hours. With larger wheels 2-1/2 mph is reasonable with a 60" mower = 6.5 hours mowing time.

Mowing Calcuator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

Last edited:
   / Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #4  
:welcome:
To TBN Jerik. You came to the right place to get answers.

Yes, we love to spend other people's money but I would go with Jeff on the larger tractor with FEL and 4WD is a must.

You will be surprised how quickly you will need the other feature of a larger tractor.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #5  
Don't get a subcompact. Get a loader. And 4wd unless your place is flat and the ground never gets muddy or slippery. If you're mowing most of the 9 acres I'd recommend a compact large and powerful enough to run a 5' mower. It doesn't cost that much more and it'll be so much more pleasant to run.

Woodmaxx's PTO minimums on their wood chippers are too low. The 8" chipper I have has a minimum PTO HP of 19hp but with my 32 PTO HP I have to choke the feed down to a crawl when chipping material over 6". I would not be surprised if they do something similar with the flail. So take that lower HP requirment with a grain of salt... flail design is pretty much the same everywhere (gearbox, shaft, belts, rotor). They can't beat physics.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #6  
Jerik, take a step back and let us help you through these decisions. You've come to the right place. Lots of knowledgeable folks here.

Rethink the choice of a sub-compact. Rethink the choice of a flail mower on a sub-compact for mowing nine acres. Rethink the choice of not getting a loader.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #7  
I wouldn't dismiss a subcompact, but would definitely get a FEL...once you have one you won't believe you lived without one. I have a 25hp SCUT, and use a 6' finish mower on 5 acres ( I used to cut it w/ a 54" cut garden tractor). It's not manicured grass, just field grass, no trees or saplings to cut. I never let it get real tall, then there would be difficulty cutting it. The SCUT was a real step up from the garden tractor. I too had a very limited budget in order to get the subcompact tractor. I too, have more time to devote to tractor time, I enjoy mowing, and using the tractor. All this said, I would never be without a FEL again.

I'm able to maneuver into tight spaces, still attach many different implements, grade my driveway, and and do a host of different things I normally had to do by hand. Plus, it fits in my normal sized garage.

There are a lot of other manufacturers out there also, such as Mahindra, Kioti, LS, and TYM, Rural King. I would recommend at least looking at / considering those. There may be considerable price differences. Would I buy a SCUT again? You bet!

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #8  
Sub Compact with their tiny tires will not be very comfortable or safe in a field. They are for yards, not rough Acreage. FEL is essential. I suggest small CUT. B2650 size or More HP is better.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #9  
+1 to all that is said here.

I'd also add that you might want a tad more hp to drive the flail. We've got the 5ft caroni and the 1500(~ 20hp) does occasionally bog on super lush grass.

Don't underestimate how useful a FEL is. Wouldn't own a tractor without one.

How comfortable are you with wrenching on things? We picked up our Ford 1500 for ~5k and you can probably find something similar if you don't mind wrenching on occasion.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #10  
An outside-the-box idea for you to consider. If you don't need the 9 open acres to graze stock, or plan to have it hayed, why not carve out a small lawn area plus some walking paths and let the rest revert to natural meadow? Great for birds, butterflies and other critters. That way you can keep the smaller areas groomed with a smaller, much less expensive mower.

You can still have the meadows bush-hogged once a year to prevent tree growth, if that's what you want, and still be money ahead and use the money to take a vacation, and all those hours you would have spent mowing to go fishing or take up painting.
:)