First tractor

/ First tractor #1  

NEPA1100

Tractor
None at the moment
Buying my first tractor soon. I am between the Kubota 3701 and 4701. I own 18 acres. 3.5 open and the balance woods. I am the last house on a private road that is a mile long and will need to plow and care for it. I will also be opening up land for a few small food plots. Not sure what size to go with. My one concern would be the snow removal. Want the weight and would be adding a plow to the FEL.

/ First tractor #2  
NEPA1100:
be sure to buy enough tractor that you won't overwork it or end up with buyers remorse later :cool2: good luck and :welcome:to TBN where you from add to your profile.

/ First tractor #3  
:welcome: to TBN.
Lots of topics/threads over the years try Search and make sure you have enough oil for the lantern. ;)

/ First tractor #4  
:welcome:
To TBN Nepa. You came to the right place to get answers.

Also we love to spend other people's money. Void is correct about getting the right tractor.

If it was me, I would go with the L4701 to get the bigger machine and have more hydro power. No one ever regretted get a bigger machine, but many have found that they should have bought bigger and regretted not having done so.

/ First tractor #5  
Go with the L4701;will run six foot implements with ease.No one ever complains of having too much horse-power.

/ First tractor #6  
There are many things to take into consideration , a mile long rd. is quite a stretch . How much snow do you get , how good is the rd. tar , dirt , do you have plenty of space to plow the snow etc. etc. , you have given very little information . I agree with all the info given above , but give us some more information also. I went without a cab for many years but as I got older that wasn't for me anymore . If you get lots of snow like I get here in northern Maine a snow plow on a tractor may reach it's limit at some point as far as pushing the banks back enough . Many things you have to consider. Good Luck with your venture

/ First tractor #7  
I am confused if you need Moldboard Plow advice, Snow Plow advice, or both.

Plowing the one mile road, whether with a Snow Plow or a Moldboard Plow, will determine what weight tractor you need. Hills, if you have them, will influence how much horsepower you need.

For 3-1/2 FLAT acres a tractor with a bare weight of 1,600 to 2,000 pounds is ample for most residential tasks but not for the road.

For the one mile road consider a 4-WD truck with a front plow. Good lights, warm and dry inside.

Last edited:
   / First tractor #8  
Weight is your friend in 90% of situations. You will almost always run out of traction before running out of hp. Skip the smaller machine, and fill your tires. Check out other brands, sometimes you can get more for your money too.

/ First tractor
Thanks for the input. Sorry for lack of information I was trying to get out of work. So I live a mile back a dirt road as stated above which is fairly flat but the incline is roughly 300' of elevation gain from main road to my house. Must snow falls are on the lighter side of 3-6" or 4-8" with few being in the foot plus. I live 1900' in elevation in Northeastern PA I have plenty of room to push the snow off the road. Will have some drifting in the open field areas but that's only a short distance. I would load the tires and look into chains. There are two guys on the road that have plows on their trucks that would also be helping out. I am looking for the front snow plow attachment. Other attachments will be finish mower, brush hog, tiller, box blade, blade, grapple (in a few years) and after a few snow storms of freezing a cab.
I am leaning towards the 4701 being it is only a few grand more and has more power and a few extra pounds. I never want to regret buying to small.

/ First tractor #10  
L4701 is somewhat a vestige of the early Kubota Grand L models. L4701 has a Category 1, Three Point Hitch.

I would consider the MX series in parallel with the L4701. MX series has a Category 2, Three Point Hitch. Priced the nearly the same.

The L4701 is around 3,307 pounds, bare tractor. MX about 3,730 pounds, bare tractor, mostly due to larger wheels and tires.

VIDEOS (3): Kubota Standard L-Series. L251 L331 L391 L471 features and operation. - YouTube

Kubota MX series walk around and features by Messicks. | MX48 MX52 MX58 - YouTube

*NEW* Land Pride Snow Pushboxes for BX, B & L Series Kubota Compact Tractors - YouTube

Where I live in Florida snow is an infrequent occurrence.

Last edited: