Talk me into one or the other

/ Talk me into one or the other #1  

smartascii

Tractor
LS XG3140
I'm yet another of the newbies making a decision in the next week about my first tractor. I've been reading through these forums and trying to absorb all the various advice available here, but I'd like to see if anyone wants to weigh in on my particular situation.

I'm closing next week on a house on a little over three acres of land (which is fairly flat and has a total of seven trees). The house itself is not quite a tear-down, but it's going to need an extensive remodel. So the purpose of this tractor is maintaining the three acres, loader work to remove literal tons of junk left strewn around the property, keeping snow off the 100-foot driveway and parking area (this is in Ohio, so the amount of snow is variable but not extreme), and re-contouring some of the land/digging a pond, etc. And, at least for the duration of the remodel, moving pallets of building materials from the trailer to the house.

My initial thought was to buy a SCUT, but given the general advice on buying more tractor than you need, combined with the prices they command, I've moved up a class or two. Currently, I'm looking at two options from a dealer in North Carolina. I'm leaning towards a shuttle-shift because most of the work will be straight-line mowing and because they're cheaper. The first is a TYM T394 for $17,999 with loader, and the second is an LS XG3140 with loader for $18,200. Both are new.

I've read the advice to get a dealer close by, but doing that requires going with John Deere, and the equivalent tractor from them is a minimum of $6k more, with fewer features, and honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with the Deere. If I stick with my price point I can get a 3025E with no options, and that felt very cheap, to be blunt.

So, first question: I don't make my living with this machine, so down time isn't the end of the world. Is a nearby dealer really that important?

Second question: Do I need this much horsepower? That same dealer will sell me an LS XG 3025 for $14,888. It's the same frame size as the larger tractors, but you give up about 500 lbs of loader capacity in addition to the HP. Would you spend the extra $3500-ish for the extra power?

Final question: Would you buy new implements? I don't care if it's pretty, and I'm assuming that the cheaper new implements offered by the dealer aren't very high quality. Should I troll Craigslist for an older bush hog, finish mower, and pallet forks? Any additional implements you'd recommend?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited:
   / Talk me into one or the other #2  
Three acres of flat ground with seven trees isn’t much to maintain. I’d personally look for a nice SCUT like a Kubota BX or a Yanmar SA424, possibly a B series Kubota.

Since you’re interested in the Korean tractors you may want to cross shop the new Rural King (RK) tractors. Made by TYM with Japanese Yanmar engines. I’d also recommend staying below the 25hp threshold to not have to deal with the expense and complexity of the Tier 4 emissions requirements.

For the pond, rent an excavator to dig it and use the tractor to maintain the property.

Last edited:
   / Talk me into one or the other #3  
Three acres of flat ground with seven trees isn't much to maintain. I recommend staying below the 25hp threshold to not have to deal with the expense and complexity of the Tier 4 emissions requirements.

Rent an excavator to dig the pond. Use the tractor to maintain the property.

However FEL on a ~~24-horsepower~~ tractor will only lift about 1,000 pounds.

Opt for SSQA (Skid Steer Quck Attach) connection to FEL.

Last edited:
   / Talk me into one or the other #4  
Is a nearby dealer really that important?

How many hours of tractor operating experience do you have? Have you mounted tractor implements to a Three Point Hitch and then adjusted same?

Do you maintain your cars, including engine and transmission fluid changes? Tractors have additional complication of hydraulics.

To have a dealer pick up your tractor and return it for service or repair requires FOUR round trips for the dealer's truck, trailer and mechanic. Dealer charge for transportation for varies but $1.50 to 2.00 per mile is typical.

40 miles X 4 = 160 miles X $2.00 = $320 transportation only.

You likely saw this:
For most new to tractors a quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important. Almost every new tractor is delivered with a glitch or two that requires correction. My Kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment. Dealer proximity is less important to others, well experienced with tractors, who perform their own maintenance.

Last edited:
   / Talk me into one or the other #5  

However FEL on a ~~24-horsepower~~ tractor will only lift about 1,000 pounds.

Opt for SSQA (Skid Steer Quck Attach) connection on FEL.

The LS XG 3025 he listed can lift 1,600 lbs and has a bare tractor weight of 2,434 lbs. It comes standard with SSQA.

/ Talk me into one or the other
If it's mechanical, I can fix it or work on it. If it's electronic and is more advanced than replacing a module, I'm probably not your guy. As for transportation, I have a truck and trailer, so I can take it to the dealer if necessary. The closest dealers for both TYM and LS are about 50 miles away.

As for tractor experience, I have none.

/ Talk me into one or the other
Three acres of flat ground with seven trees isn’t much to maintain. I’d personally look for a nice SCUT like a Kubota BX or a Yanmar SA424, possibly a B series Kubota.

The Kubota website quotes a 25.5 HP BX2680 with Loader and Industrial Tires at $17,187. I don't know how much wiggle-room there is on Kubota pricing. The dealer I called was willing to take about $1000 off an L-Series, though there may be greater discounts to be had on the BX- and B-Series tractors. But my thought there was that even if I could get $2k off, I can get a LOT more tractor for a little bit more money going the other route.

Since you’re interested in the Korean tractors you may want to cross shop the new Rural King (RK) tractors.

I've taken a look at those, and by all appearances, they're good tractors. But other than badging, I can't tell that there's any difference from what TYM sells, so wouldn't it make more sense to go straight to TYM (which is also cheaper - the same tractor I can get from a TYM dealer for $18k costs $20k at Rural King)?

/ Talk me into one or the other #9  
If it's mechanical, I can fix it or work on it. If it's electronic and is more advanced than replacing a module, I'm probably not your guy. As for transportation, I have a truck and trailer, so I can take it to the dealer if necessary. The closest dealers for both TYM and LS are about 50 miles away.

As for tractor experience, I have none.

I think you are good for a TYM or an LS.

/ Talk me into one or the other #10  
Have you considered Mahindra? You have a dealer about 25 miles from your city. If you're looking at TYM and LS then the Mahindra might impress you. TYM makes some machines for Mahindra as well. My 2655 is a TYM machine.