Buying a mower and 40 acres of trees

/ Buying a mower and 40 acres of trees #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
I moved into this place about a year ago. First time living in the country. 4 acres of grass and 40 acres of trees.

I bought a 60" ZT which I like but I can see the need for a tractor to cut and move trees as the need arises. I'm not interested in clear cutting but cutting down dead trees, fallen trees and general thinning out.

There is a lumber mill about 15 miles down the road so I would need to buy a pull behind trailer where I could stack a few cut trees and sell them.

What I am thinking right now for a tractor:
1) Diesel
2) 4x4
3) Pre emission standards (before 2014)
4) Package deal if possible (front end loader, box blade, trailer, lumber jaws for moving cut trees)
5) 35-50 HP, preferably closer to 50 HP.
6) Name brand tractor for parts and service.

Anyone have advice that would help me out? I've attached a picture of the layout of my property. TexasLand_boundary_tractor.png

/ Buying a mower and 40 acres of trees #2  
I wouldnt necessarily go with a package. Also would go 50 HP min. Look at Everything attachments for their grapples.

/ Buying a mower and 40 acres of trees #3  
Nice place!

/ Buying a mower and 40 acres of trees #4  
I suggest Kubota's MX series, which will lift 2,000 pounds with the FEL. Various old models of the MX series predate the 2012/2013 Tier IV emission control phase in.
https://www.kubotausa.com/products/tractors/economy-utility

USED MX 260 MILES FROM YOU: MX52D Kubota 4wd Tractor/Loader/Low Hours | eBay

Or you can move heavier trees with a lighter tractor using a Log Arch.
VIDEO: tractor log arch - YouTube

USED THIRTY HORSEPOWER NEW HOLLAND EIGHTY MILES FROM YOU: NEW HOLLAND T151 TRACTOR, 4X4, R4 TIRES, 261 HRS, FRT END LOADER! NICE!! | eBay

USED KUBOTA PACKAGE: L46D Kubota 4wd Tractor/Loader/New Trailer/New Bush hog/ New Boxblade/Tiedowns | eBay

Last edited:
   / Buying a mower and 40 acres of trees #5  
There are a lot of estate sales that include whatever inventory of attachments along with a tractor...owners that trade up may or may not let go of their implements when they sell their current tractors...
Some of the most common used tractor ads I see will come with a rotary cutter, rear blade, box blade etc...

/ Buying a mower and 40 acres of trees #6  
The implements that come with those new tractor package deals are the cheapest lightest duty ones available.

/ Buying a mower and 40 acres of trees
Thank you everyone who has replied. This gives me some more to think about. I didn't think about the cheap attachments with packaged deals so I will take that off of my list. The problem with ebay is finding a tractor close enough for me to inspect before buying.
I definitely will need a grappler to handle trees.
The advantage of a dealer is being able to finance there without the need to go through my credit union.

That seems like a lot of front money and work for what kind of financial return? Are the trees that valuable? As to the dead stuff, I have a couple of paths that lead to my tree dead piles. I simply cut up the dead stuff just enough so that I can drag them out of sight.

My friend down the road was making about $1000/wk cutting a few trees and having them hauled to the local timber yard.
I had a timber management plan developed by the local forestry service last year and thinning out my trees will create a healthier environment for the remaining trees.

/ Buying a mower and 40 acres of trees #9  
Timber Management Program may qualify you for an ag tax classification.