Buying Advice Need advice on buying a flail mower

/ Need advice on buying a flail mower #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
I am thinking about buying a flail mower , but I would like one I could use on both my Kubota tractors , ( M5700 and B2650 ) 19 pto HP and 54 pto HP. respectively . I would like the 6ft. on my lawn area to just mow grass with the 2650 and use it to mow fields with the 5700 . I have a large lawn area away from the house to mow . I also have about 30 acres of fields to mow each year which I do with the 5700. I know there are many other options to consider but I just want to know if this one would work . My only question is will a 6 ft. flail work on the 2650 just to mow a lawn area .

/ Need advice on buying a flail mower #2  
That's a wide range of tractor (and job) sizes to cover with one mower. Is your M5700 a Cat-II machine? I imagine that the hitch dimensions are quite different between the two, (and you'd likely need to have two different PTO shafts as well).

The 6' flail would work on the B2650 for cutting lawn, but would indeed be a bit too much of a load when cutting a field. It'd be a bit clumsy to maneuver around a lawn with that smaller tractor too. Are you looking to buy a high end (Vrisimo, etc) or mid/bargain flail mower? Vrisimo and other high end mowers will set you back for $3000-$10,000 (or more) each depending on individual specs and size. Caroni makes a good mid-range flail mower that'd cost you $2K or so in a 6' size.

If you're looking at the various Asian made units, I suggest a 5' medium duty unit for the B2650, and a heavy duty 6'-7' unit for the M5700. From someone like Betstco, you can get both of those mowers shipped to you for around $3K or so.

Flail Mowers | Betstco

/ Need advice on buying a flail mower #3  
There's also a MONSTER of a flail mower thread in the implements section. 500+ pages. You can jump right in and ask questions and folks there will help you out.

/ Need advice on buying a flail mower #4  
There's also a MONSTER of a flail mower thread in the implements section. 500+ pages. You can jump right in and ask questions and folks there will help you out.

I've heard about this thread, but I have yet to find it. Do you have a link?

/ Need advice on buying a flail mower

Thanks Aaron , I have decided to buy a new everything attachments 6ft. rotary cutter for the 35 acres of fields using the 5700 , and continue to use my riding lawn mower for my large lawn area . I know about rotary cutters as I have been using them for over 30 years . I will stick with what I know I guess , to old to make a change now . I am sure I would like a flail mower just don't want to buy 2 items at this stage of my life .