Buying Advice Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k<

/ Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k< #1  

DerekA09

Tractor
1959 John Deere 730
Hello all. I'm looking for buying advice on a new (to me) tractor. I'd like a Deere as I already have a little John Deere tractor (almost color blind - but not completely) that to me is as reliable and tough as it gets. I have 25 acres (pretty well all flat, would give up MFWD to get something a little nicer) and want something with a FIL that can handle round bales safely and will one day want to get a batwing mower.

/ Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k< #2  
The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to list your tasks first, then determine bare tractor weight needed to SAFELY accomplish your tasks. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models.

For most tractor tasks greater chassis weight is more important than tractor horsepower. For novice tractor shoppers the fundamental importance of tractor WEIGHT is difficult to comprehend.

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

John Deere 730
1958 - 1961 Two-Cylinder 30 Series
Row-Crop tractor

The John Deere model 730 replaced the 720, offering cosmetic upgrades. A notable option were the deluxe flat-top fenders with headlights. Front-end options on the row-crop 730 were single wheel, conventional or Roll-O-Matic dual front, or adjustable wide front. The John Deere 730 diesel (along with the 720) held a 27-year fuel economy record for most efficient diesel tractor at the Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory.

Manufacturer: John Deere
Factory: Waterloo, Iowa, USA
Total built: 24,495
3,560 (gasoline)
177 (all-fuel)
3,263 (LP-gas)
17,032 (diesel, 3,703 used pony engine)
Original price (USD): $3700 (1960)

Variants:
730 General-Purpose: row-crop tractor
730 Standard: wheatland-style tractor
730 Hi-Crop: high-crop tractor

John Deere 730 Engines:
John Deere 5.9L 2-cyl gasoline
John Deere 5.9L 2-cyl all-fuel
John Deere 5.9L 2-cyl LP gas
John Deere 6.2L 2-cyl diesel

Capacity:
Fuel: 24.5 gal [92.7 L] (all-fuel)
26.5 gal [100.3 L] (gasoline)
33 gal [124.9 L] (LP gas)
20 gal [75.7 L] (diesel)
Aux. fuel: 1 gal [3.8 L] (all-fuel)
0.25 gal [0.9 L] (diesel pony)

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: II (optional)

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: independent
Rear RPM: 540

Dimensions
Wheelbase: 93.7 inches [237 cm]
Weight: 6790 to 9241 pounds

John Deere 730 Power:
Drawbar (claimed): 53 hp [39.5 kW]
PTO (claimed): 59 hp [44.0 kW]
Plows: 5
Drawbar (tested): 53.41 hp [39.8 kW]
Belt (tested): 57.77 hp [43.1 kW]

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x2 2WD
Steering: manual
power (optional)

Brakes: differential mechanical drum
Cab: Open operator station. Optional Float-Ride seat.

Page information:
Last update: March 9, 2017
Copyright: Copyright 2017 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k< #3  
Your opening post is somewhat confusing.

You likely need a tractor with a bare weight of 5,000 pounds and 70+ horsepower, depending on how wide a bat wing mower you wish to operate and how heavy round bales are where you operate. Round bales vary from 800 pounds to 1,200 pounds, varying by region.

Here are eBay listings for previously owned tractors near Zip Code 62842:
Tractors | eBay

There are two Deere 5000 series with Loaders.

Last edited:
   / Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k< #4  
Jeffy,
The new Messick's tractor buying guide specifically de-emphasizes the excel spreadsheet approach. And perhaps it isn't weight that is the most important factor. Several posters in another thread took exception w/ your weight obsession, as their tractor choice would be totally obscured, if they ignored their tasks, and simply focused upon weight. Batwing mowers and the appropriate tractor for same aside, there ARE subcompact owners who are very satisfied w/ a 2000 lb tractor. This OP may require a lager unit, but your discount of the smaller tractors having a defined place in the market is disingenuous. A knowledgeable dealer, face to face W/ purchaser, has more context concerning the appropriate equipment, than an armchair quarterback, many miles removed, with absolutely no first hand direct interaction.

I purposly did NOT diviide my post into paragraphs, thus providing you the opportunity to edit and rewrite to your satisfaction.

EDIT: deere 730 not ideal for the inexperienced. Narrow fronts common, few had loaders, and not very capable. Hand clutch is awkward, As was PTO engagement, many lacked 3 point linkage. Copying data from the web is much different than actual knowledge of a tractor.

Last edited:
   / Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k< #5  
Having just finished my quest for a new tractor I will weigh in as a novice. Having had a small tractor that was too light for most jobs and hardly had enough power to move itself in soft earth with the bucket full, both weight and HP are important. Second is spend some time looking, go put your butt in the seats. Make sure levers and controls are easy and comfortable to use. From the sounds of it you'll be spending quite a bit of time in the seat. And when I had narrowed it down to 4 I did wright up capacities of all next to each other. This made it fairly easy for us to make a choice. Backing mine off the trailer today. Good luck with your quest.

/ Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k< #6  
So what are the advantages of a light (lighter) tractor other than transporting it on a smaller trailer or driving it over a homemade bridge or drainage pipe? Perhaps driving it on your lawn without tearing it up, but that's probably more a function of tire and soil type.

Weight determines what you can do, horsepower determines how fast you can do it.

/ Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k< #7  
Coby,
The point is that one large size does not fit all. There is a significant segment of the population content to mow, lift and carry some mulch, move a little snow, carry firewood, etc..

Not everyone is into roadbuilding. My little 2000 lb tractor will glide over improved landscaped areas in the spring that the larger tractors will damage. That said, the smaller tractor will move snow adequately, lift 1000 lbs w/ forks and power a 90" finish mower. That is adequate for many folks.

Kubota and others recognize this niche and spent millions developing products for those folks. There is also the cost element. It is easy for members to spend other folk's money.

There can always occur a task too LARGE for the equipment at hand. If this is a daily occurrence, doubt the dealer will sell the tractor. Spending an additional $10K for an eventual task is NOT always budget feasible. Given the equipment, still many folks lack the ability for professional sized tasks.

Even the largest compacts struggle to perform tasks some folks attempt. I have access to large AG equipment, which dwarf my MX for a large task.

This "Buy Enough Tractor" mantra is fine, meet you at the Go fund me page for your contribution. Often a ZTR mower is really the ticket, but the small tractor, slower at mowing, provides opportunities listed above, absent roadbuilding.

Last edited:
   / Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k<
I have a 730 now and I love it. Mine has 3 point and the live PTO is pretty sweet for the age of the tractor. (8k pound 53hp tractor fits the spreadsheet ideals I'd say) ......but it's single hydraulics, which to me doesn't meet loader tractor standards. Mine's narrow front, but even if I got the WFE it's (the wfe axle) not going to be nearly as sturdy as the larger frame tractors. I found a 4430 with loader I was going to pull the trigger on this week. Somebody went and looked at it the same day I did and got ahold of the dealership first and bought it. My neighbor has a 4050 which is why I decided I want a bigger tractor than what I have.

/ Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k< #9  
Major,

Not really disagreeing with you specifically, but did you notice that the OP, in his listed requirements, states he wants a tractor that can "handle round bales safely"... ?

You sure as heck aren't going to do that with a 2000 pound tractor.

/ Looking at buying my first "big" tractor $25k< #10  
Yeah, batwing mowers are very large and require LOTS of HP.

Round bales..I just bought a kiota CK35 - 35hr and w/ weighted rear tires about 3300lbs - lift on the loader is 1800 some odd pounds. Should be no issue.
Friend has a boomer 45hp (not sure the model) and it's just fine with round blaes/large square bales, backhoe and more.

A larger frame 25hp would be able to do what you want..excluding a batwing.

I went up to 35 over 25 because more HP is gonna be worked less, and I need to mow 20 acres of pasture and should be able to use a 6' brush hog with this tractor. The 40hp was $2500 more...the 35 weas only 1800 more than the 25hp - all the same frame/weight, etc (in kioti anyway).

A DK45 (next size up) is more 'farm' tractor than 'utility' tractor - more for plow and field work than 'utility' use.

I may do hay..40 is better than 35, it's on the barely big enough scale for that, but 1000 bales a year isn't much. Would rather hay the fields than mow them - at least I'd get something useful for my efforts.