Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons!

/ Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons! #1  

chevymanar

Tractor
2016 Mahindra 2538HST
Let me start by explaining what I intend to use the tractor for.

I have purchased 8 acres of timber (pine tree plantation with trees around 10" diameter). A logging crew is thinning the trees out and will also clear out a 1-2 acre area for landing. I plan to use this cleared out landing spot to build a house on. I plan to use the tractor to clean up the landing and prepare it for a house. The area is fairly dry and flat. I also will use it for gravel and driveway purposes. I will have a track hoe at my disposal for digging up stumps or other jobs the tractor shouldn't be doing. The tractor's second use will be for bush hogging and planting at my deer lease.

My budget is really around $15,000 and I want a tractor in the 3,000lb-4,000lb range with HST and around 35hp. This may be over kill for my immediate needs, but something tells me to get a little bigger than what I think I will want. I intend to keep this tractor for many years.

I am a mechanically inclined person and work on my own things when it doesn't involve tearing into an engine or transmission (haven't tried that stuff yet). Dealer location is great, but not a deal breaker for me.

The tractors that I have found semi-locally are below.

2014 Mahindra 1538HST 138hrs
tractor is 212 miles away
$15,500
dealer is 20 miles away

2016 Branson 3520H 170hrs
tractor is 58 miles away
$16,000
dealer is 110 miles away

Case DX35 (not sure on year) 1200hrs
tractor is 162 miles away
$14,000
dealer is 53 miles away

The Branson is appealing because it is still very new and much closer in proximity than the others, but the Branson name is not a common name for me. I have done some research and realize they were bought by TYM. They seem to be really well made tractors from what I have read.

Thoughts??

/ Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons! #2  
There's a Branson sub-forum.

I've been happy with my 3725.

/ Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons! #3  
I would put half the budget for the tractor and the other half for implements. You can get an excellent older diesel tractor for $5k in the 40hp range.

/ Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons!
I would put half the budget for the tractor and the other half for implements. You can get an excellent older diesel tractor for $5k in the 40hp range.

Well the ~$15K budget is for financing a tractor and loader. I will be able to purchase implements as they are needed. My father has some that I can borrow also.

To be honest I haven't even really considered older tractors because I didn't figure I could find one with HST. Seems most I have seen in the past were regular gear driven. My wife will be using this tractor too and she would be much more comfortable with the simplicity of the HST.

/ Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons! #5  
If the 1200 hour DX35 is in excellent shape that is a hands down no brainer for me.

/ Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons!
If the 1200 hour DX35 is in excellent shape that is a hands down no brainer for me.
I havent seen it in person but from the photos it looks to be in great shape.

Is the “no brainer” part based on your preference of Case brand over the others or cost or a combination maybe?

/ Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons! #7  
They all look like they are in the hunt.

The Case/IH and New Hollands made by Shibaura were just excellent however that tractor is probably 10 years older than the others.

Mahindras seem to have uneven quality. Maybe that model is one of the better ones and leak free.

Branson owners seem to love them. They have abandoned companies they built tractors for, and now they have been bought out by TYM. Will TYM abandon them in 5-10 years? Who knows. If you like it, you could buy it and use it maybe all is well. If it does become an orphan tractor, just sell it or trade it in quick.

/ Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons! #8  
Well the ~$15K budget is for financing a tractor and loader. I will be able to purchase implements as they are needed. My father has some that I can borrow also.

To be honest I haven't even really considered older tractors because I didn't figure I could find one with HST. Seems most I have seen in the past were regular gear driven. My wife will be using this tractor too and she would be much more comfortable with the simplicity of the HST.
I would not over-implement yourself right off the bat or you will be buying implements that you thought you would use. Get them as you are sure you will need/use them.

/ Debating 3 tractors.... help me weigh the pros and cons! #10  

After reading, I would not take that thread very seriously.

Pretty tough choice. All three are just what you are looking for and all 3 have downsides. Mahindra-some quality issues,Branson-unclear future, Case- hours and age. I might look for a tractor with a loader. It is the best part of a tractor that size and you will use it more than you will ever imagine, You can usually get it cheaper on the tractor than as an add on later.