Horsepower Vs Maneuverability

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #1  

Wacimus

Tractor
1980 Kubota L245DT
Morning,

I was about to buy a tractor and is was sold out from under me. So I went back to the drawing board and came back with a few options, but its come down to HP vs maneuverability.

All things being equal, each tractor comes with all the attachments I would need. Tractor A: 25hp very maneuverable. Tractor B: 55hp, gotta swing wide.

Tractor B: I like the 55hp tractor because I can run cat 2 3pt hitch attachments, and it has the weight 7500 lbs to be exact-ish. Also fairly large. It'll fit in my garage, but I'll have to take my time going in and out.

Tractor A: limited on power and weight. Weight=3300lbs-ish. 4x4. I like that one because I won't need to brake turn it, or constantly back up. 25hp should be enough to do what I need. But it'll be slower going. But smaller, easier to fit in my garage.

Please don't say buy both. Haha. Thanks for your opinions.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #2  
Welcome to TBN.

Usually when someone can't decide, they have choices that are very close. Your small one is half the weight and power of the larger one.

What will you be doing with the tractor?

Bruce

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #3  
I would suggest buy neither, some folks should not own tractors...hope this helps....

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #4  
I have two tractors. Bought the 70 HP one first and it worked well for all the heavy lifting but that work soon ran out. It is a 2010 model and only has about 168 hours on it.
A year later I came across a deal (courtesy of a TBN member) on a B26 TLB. It had 68 hours on it when I got it and now it is closing in on 500. Needless to say it is my go to tractor for almost everything. It fits in all the places I need it to and being much smaller, it is very maneuverable. I am surprised at the things I can do with that little tractor and the backhoe is invaluable. With the backhoe on it, it weighs in a 4001 so it has good traction. I haven't tried mowing with it but the previous owner used a 5 foot bush hog with it and said he had no problems. I did see a field that he was mowing and the grass was over waist high.

If you already have all the Cat II implements, then you may have to go with the 55 HP tractor although if your 25 HP tractor can handle the weight, then just swap out the lift pins and you will be good to go. Cat I implements will be much cheaper than Cat II but also less capable. Much depends on what you plan to do with the tractor. If you are going to do a lot of dirt moving or ground engagement work then the larger tractor is the one you need if you want to get done fast.

If you are retired and have all the time in the World and the 25 HP will get the job done, then that is all you need. You will be surprised how quickly you run out of work to do even doing it slowly.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability
Grading and FEL work will be the two biggest jobs. But after the grading and property clearing, the work will be most running a brush hog, a finish mower, and occasional FEL use.

Ground type is sloped rocky hard pack red dirt.

Definitely not retired, but I have some time. I'm not constantly watching the clock.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #6  
You didn't mention what tasks you're wanting to accomplish with the tractor.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #7  
You also haven't mentioned the acreage you will be addressing. This farm I am on was initially bush hogged with a JD 750 (about 19 PTO HP) and the place was grown up so high that the little tractor could not be seen mowing thru the bushes, trees and grass. It took weeks to mow the full 42.29 acres but it got done except the wet areas where the turf tires just wouldn't pull thru. Brother in law and I finally got a 40 HP each and 6 foot bush hogs to get the job done and just a couple of days.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability
Just 2 acres of grading to make the property all one level. Then mowing those 2 acres. Also removing some demo'd out buildings. Chicken coops, 1980's tin shed special x3, and a random cast iron fireplace. Last general property maintenance. I'm surrounded by Oak and Pine trees with the occasional redwood too.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #9  
Tractor A

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #10  
I have owned various sized tractors for many, many years. I think, I can count on two fingers the number of times I used a brake for turning.