Anyone ever regretted buying a HST?

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #1  

RandyinTN

Silver Member
Tractor
NX4510H with backhoe and FEL
I'll be buying a 40-45 hp tractor later this year. Have any of you regretted buying a tractor in this power range with an HST? If so, why did you regret it?

If you did buy one with a HST still happy with your choice?

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #2  
HST has a place in the market, dependent upon tasks . Messick' s posted a recent U Tube video. Operator engaged in open field mowing exclusively. GST transmission was a superior choice. The heat generated by HST for many field operations is actually a detriment.

EDIT: Regrets would include significant field mowing or ground engagement tasks. You don't mow, what task is primary function?

My MX does Not whine to the point it is loud or annoying

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #3  
Check out Yanmar’s iHMT transmission in the YT series, offered in 47 and 59hp, when you do your comparison shopping. Almost as convenient as HST but puts more power to the ground and is more serviceable.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #4  
I'll be buying a 40-45 hp tractor later this year. Have any of you regretted buying a tractor in this power range with an HST? If so, why did you regret it?

If you did buy one with a HST still happy with your choice?

I regret not buying HST sooner on my 60HP tractors.

One thing I noted while shopping for a new 60HP tractor was that the Deere and Kubota HST worked very well in my demos. New Holland struggled on hills. I might have had a demo machine with issues but I was left with the impression I wouldn't be able to tow a heavy trailer up hills.

The Deere electronic HST is the cats meow and the nicest operating HST I've ever used. If I could put that in my M59 I would. I'm not a fan of Kubota treadle and I don't understand why I can't get cruise control as an OEM option. The Deere had electronic cruise - sweet.

If you can get cruise control and a good suspension seat get it. If you do mowing on the tractor you will appreciate it.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST?
I will not be mowing with it. Was hoping to stay on track and see if anyone who actually bought a HST regretted it.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #6  
I was traised on geared tractors. Got a mx5800hst 2 years ago. Love it. It does have cruise.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #7  
went from a kubota shift to a kioti HST (35hp). They will have HST on the 45hp models soon they say.

two pedals, cruise was a dealer option as was link pedal (flip switch and keep throttle at idle - more HST pedal and the throttle goes up on it's own as needed).

Got nearly 18 hours on it so far (only had it 5 days) - mostly brush hogging and it's very good - much better than geared.
loader work - great, of course.
Box blade - didn't do a lot (so far) but it's been great. No issues.

Now I did burn some large brush piles and use the loader to push and repile - it's possible to stall the engine on an HST...pushing pile of brush uphill in 4WD.

A bit more power up hill would be nice...when heavily loaded. Now would this also be true with a geared tractor? Can't say really.

I test drove the geared/shuttle version and no way would I want to 'go back' to geared.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #8  
I will not be mowing with it. Was hoping to stay on track and see if anyone who actually bought a HST regretted it.

Nope, Just regret the years spent with gear tractors.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #9  
So before you put much meaning in this thread you need to see how many people regret buying a geared and only those that have used a HST opinions matter.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #10  
I have several of both, hydro and geared tractors...

The BIG thing about hydro's is, all that hydro whine! If you are out there working for hours, it drives you nuts!

SR