Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end?

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #21  
When I was researching my first tractor, several of my old farmer friends told me to stay away from tricycle tractors for the uses I wanted; loader work, mowing on sloped ground. They all said they used them for row cropping on flat ground and that they'd never own one again, nor would they want their children to own them other than for parade duty. There's just no reason to use one, given the masses of wide front end machines out there today. Be safe. ;)

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #22  
I had 2 friends get killed in narrow front tip overs. I would not even think about buying a narrow front unless it was cheap enough to be converted to a wide front

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #23  
I have been watching what comes up locally and if your market is like mine, you should have no problems finding a $4500 40-60HP gas tractor with a loader on it.

Aaron Z

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #24  
You can also find Allis diesel D-17 and D-19's. I would not buy a gasser. But I've seen those sell very cheap.

I picked up the John Deere 4010 for $5000. Rough, but it runs good.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #25  
When I started out, I was dirt poor and in the same boat. I bought a NFE tractor and then found a junker with a wide front end. It took a while but swapping front ends was not that hard and I wound up with the WFE tractor for the same $$.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end?
You can also find Allis diesel D-17 and D-19's. I would not buy a gasser. But I've seen those sell very cheap.

I picked up the John Deere 4010 for $5000. Rough, but it runs good.

I'd figure gas would be preferable with periods of sitting like a homeowner tractor would see, plus having to start in the dead of winter as is needed around here.

My market is not near as favorable as yours.
Best option with a loader within 50 miles is a Case 300 for $3500. Its an option, but not an easy drive to see, plus the ad is raising a few flags for me.
The closest to your 4010 would be a 2630 for $7900. Honestly, a bit too big and more than I can afford.
I think I can borrow something in a couple of weeks to get what I want done until my budget grows.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #27  
One of the tractors we had back on the farm was a Farmall 450 with both the tricycle front end and the wide front end. We swapped them out depending on the job. The tricycle never felt tippy to me. Just never though much about it.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #28  
I'd figure gas would be preferable with periods of sitting like a homeowner tractor would see, plus having to start in the dead of winter as is needed around here.

My market is not near as favorable as yours.
Best option with a loader within 50 miles is a Case 300 for $3500. Its an option, but not an easy drive to see, plus the ad is raising a few flags for me.
The closest to your 4010 would be a 2630 for $7900. Honestly, a bit too big and more than I can afford.
I think I can borrow something in a couple of weeks to get what I want done until my budget grows.

Where are you located?

I just saw a 4010 diesel with a refreshed motor sell for $4850 at Mowery's auction in Milford, Illinois.

I have had far fewer issues with diesels than gasoline powered stuff.

The new gas eats the gaskets and lines of the old equipment - That should be all caught up by now.

The new diesel also causes issues.

Sometimes it's worth getting a trailer and making a road trip.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #29  
Where are you located?

I just saw a 4010 diesel with a refreshed motor sell for $4850 at Mowery's auction in Milford, Illinois.

The new gas eats the gaskets and lines of the old equipment - That should be all caught up by now.

Up here there are more and more places that sell non ethanol in their premium pumps. That's what I run in all of my off road equipment except my snowsled, which only gets it for the last tank of the year. It's a bit more pricey, but no more expensive than all of the old gas I was burning in my burn pan every year.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end?
Where are you located?

The diesel issue I was thinking of would be growing a microbe garden in the fuel tank.

As far as a road trip to go shopping;
I have a 1/2 ton, and the heavy trailer I could borrow, I wouldn't trust going hundreds of miles.