Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end?

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #1  

Groo

Platinum Member
I am looking for a utility machine around the place (only 10 acres, mostly wooded, on a river) for road mantenance, moving tree corpses around, small scale construction and snow clearing. I am not looking at farming.
There are lots of things that could do what I want, but most everything is outside of my price range, or not even close to local. The dog needing a hip replacement recently has took a fair chunk of my savings, and is making me think I need more emergency fund on hand in general; so my previously marginal budget has constricted further. I was previously thinking $6k, but now getting iffy about spending $4k.

I have seen some old tricycle tractors for sale fairly cheap. Are they even worth considering? I assume a FEL would be unadvisable??
I am guessing I could do most of what I want with a 3-point, but plenty of these older things don't even have a 3 point.
How tippy are they? a tall tippy tricycle with no ROPS sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The most expensive tricycle I am looking at is a Farmall 340. I think I could get it for $2k with a decent back blade and 2 remotes. The cheaper ones like a WD45 or comperable don't look to have a 3 point, and plobably not much at all for hydraulics. I am not sure I would get much use at all out of a tricycle without a 3-point, so I am inclined to pass on those.

Would I be better off with a Ford 9-2-8N? seems to always be a couple of those for sale, and even a loader or two for them out there.
I think I even saw an old Ag crawler that might still be for sale, but would need a complete hydraulic system added (luckily I can work with stuff like that) and likely would not have much for parts availibility.

or do I just save up for something better suited to my purposes, like a small loader, telehandler or a CUT?

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #2  
I am looking for a utility machine around the place (only 10 acres, mostly wooded, on a river) for road mantenance, moving tree corpses around, small scale construction and snow clearing. I am not looking at farming.<snip>
but now getting iffy about spending $4k.<snip>

First put your location in, someone here might have the machine you want and is nearby.

Then tell us how good you are at wrenching. If a machine is going for $4K it usually needs some repair.

Here's an example:
Public Surplus: Auction #242736
1976 John Deere 2240 Tractor with Flail Mower
Year: 1976
Manufacturer: John Deere
Model: 2240 Tractor
Running Condition: Poor
1976 John Deere 2240 Tractor with John Deere 25A Flail Mower for sale as is.
went for $3,550.

I bought my 50HP M4700 for $11.5K back in 2012.
So far I've sunk less than $1,000 into it, mostly for front tires.

Attachments

• IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 8x6SAM_0812.JPG
    8x6SAM_0812.JPG
    580.8 KB · Views: 139
   / Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #3  
You are right about the AC WD45, it has the AC proprietary rear hitch. You might could find the adapter to work on it to make it into a standard 3 PH buy why bother. If you need an FEL, I wouldn't bother with the small tractors (30-45HP) without 4 WD. You would need something like a Farmall 706 or larger to handle a FEL and still have some traction. I drove a lot of Farmall tricycle tractors in my youth and really didn't find them tippy but no doubt that they are more inclined to tip than a wide front end tractor especially if crossing a steep slope.

I think I would wait on buying a tractor until I could afford one with a wide front end with 4 WD, live PTO and standard 3 point hitch.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #4  
I am looking for a utility machine around the place (only 10 acres, mostly wooded, on a river) for road mantenance, moving tree corpses around, small scale construction and snow clearing. I am not looking at farming.
There are lots of things that could do what I want, but most everything is outside of my price range, or not even close to local. The dog needing a hip replacement recently has took a fair chunk of my savings, and is making me think I need more emergency fund on hand in general; so my previously marginal budget has constricted further. I was previously thinking $6k, but now getting iffy about spending $4k.

I have seen some old tricycle tractors for sale fairly cheap. Are they even worth considering? I assume a FEL would be unadvisable??
I am guessing I could do most of what I want with a 3-point, but plenty of these older things don't even have a 3 point.
How tippy are they? a tall tippy tricycle with no ROPS sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The most expensive tricycle I am looking at is a Farmall 340. I think I could get it for $2k with a decent back blade and 2 remotes. The cheaper ones like a WD45 or comperable don't look to have a 3 point, and plobably not much at all for hydraulics. I am not sure I would get much use at all out of a tricycle without a 3-point, so I am inclined to pass on those.

Would I be better off with a Ford 9-2-8N? seems to always be a couple of those for sale, and even a loader or two for them out there.
I think I even saw an old Ag crawler that might still be for sale, but would need a complete hydraulic system added (luckily I can work with stuff like that) and likely would not have much for parts availibility.

or do I just save up for something better suited to my purposes, like a small loader, telehandler or a CUT?

Sure i am in the minority on this but...

if you see a Rhino 504 554 or 654 for sale take a look. in our area I have seen at least 3 like my 554 sell for between $4500-7000

For that money you get what is a chinese 4 x 4 tractor with an american made FEL
some of the good things
heavy built with the FEL all are at least 7000lb tractors
loaders that will lift 2000lbs to full height of 120"
minimum 14.9 x 28 AG R1 and 8.3x20 R1 front tires
Power assisted steering
Separate hydraulic pumps for FEL which has a provision for Power Beyond, power steering pump, 3 point pump- No functions compromised by using another function
Fully adjustable suspension seat
Full ROPS with canopy top to keep the sun off you
Locking differential with heavy duty 4 pinion carrier rear axle
cat 1 And 2 capable 3 point
grease zerks for virtually every wear point and even adjustable tie rod ends to remove slop if any wear occurs
2 stage clutch - live PTO
Full light package including turn signals high and low beams, brake lights and horn
Direct injected 3 liter+ 4 cylinder diesel
6 speed transmission

Basic tractor design was built for about 30 years by Shanghai Tractor and Engine Corporation and then with New Holland joint venture had about 70% of the home chinese market for 50-70 hp tractors for several years.

Every part I have needed has been available from Farm Boys for a reasonable price - A very capable 4x4 tractor with loader that is serviceable.

Sold my Ford 3000 and the 554 is serving well on our 10 acres and we also mow 2 other properties of 10 and 15 acres very capable of plowing, discing, rototilling, moving and stacking 3 high 1200+lbs. square hay bales, snow removal with 85 inch blower FEL bucket, box blading, grappling dead trees even pulled a few stumps /firewood to.

At the price (range) you are talking- may be a viable option. If a chinese tractor is not an option I understand

Attachments

• brush cutting field 005.JPG
    brush cutting field 005.JPG
    954 KB · Views: 129
  • Salaras field -pine needle removal 006.jpg
    Salaras field -pine needle removal 006.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
   / Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #5  
I spent most of my youth tricycle style tractors with no concerns about being tippy. JD MT with a loader, Farmall C, H & M all with a loader on them.

Also JD A, B, 50, 60, 70, 520, etc. I preferred the JD model with roll-O-matic front end since they were far less prone to being thumb busters from hitting a rock with one tire. The Farmalls were known to turn hard lock in a heart beat if you caught a rock or rut just right.

I am old school but a narrow front would not prevent me from looking at a tractor if it met my needs.

Like you have stated the biggest problem might be the three point hitch availability on older models.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #6  
Narrow frontend on flat ground okay,but would rather have wide frontend more stable....but that's me.

Have you consider attending equipment and farm auction,plenty of good 2WD still out there to be had.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #7  
I still run a ‘52 8N on my eight acre property. I use it to bush hog the fields, tow a wagon, clear snow, and drag fallen trees. They’re simple and reliable and parts are cheap and plentiful. Since I’ve never had a FEL, I don’t miss having one. You can pick them up for $1500-$2000 depending on model and condition.

You can get by with one until you can afford a newer tractor. That’s what I’m doing, addressing multiple competing financial requirements before buying my dream tractor.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #8  
I'm still trying to figure out why a dog needs hip replacement surgery.

When my 10 y.o. Great Dane could barely stand or walk I knew it was time to put him down. Toughest thing I had to do in my life.

Good luck tractor hunting.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end?
I'm still trying to figure out why a dog needs hip replacement surgery.

When my 10 y.o. Great Dane could barely stand or walk I knew it was time to put him down. Toughest thing I had to do in my life.

Good luck tractor hunting.

Its 9 months old. Broke the ball off jumping out the truck after a deer. by some weird twist of dog surgury economics, a new ball for the hip was 1/4 the price of pinning the old one back into place.

/ Very limited budget; worth considering a narrow front end? #10  
My AC WD hasn't run in over 30 years. Before the motor got stuck, it was the only tractor I had and I got by with it. People learn to make do with what they have.