Buying Advice Any advice before I make my tractor decision?!

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #1  

hilltop Haven Farm

Bronze Member
Tractor
1953 jubilee
Ready to make my tractor decision. I have been researching for almost a year and now it's time. So I want any more opinions or suggestions. So here's the meat. Budget is 25k for a tractor and fel. Property is 45 acres(half wooded and half field) but all land is on a hillside. Will be Bush hogging, logging road maintenance, clearing trails for horse riding, working around the horse barn, etc. The 2 tractors I am down too are the kioti NX 4510 and tym 454 both hst. Tym is a little below budget and kioti is just a tiny bit above. Kioti is a 3 cylinder turbo and tym a yanmar 4 cylinder. Am I missing on any other tractor is this price range? Anything I should be looking for that I'm missing?

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #2  
Test drive both and get as feel to see what fits you better with the controls and etc.

Get a good feel from the dealers as you'll need them for services and problems that may or may not occur. Basically you need to know if they will stand on your side when you need them.

Maybe consider other brands that you wouldn't think much about.

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #3  
If either dealer decides to get out of tractor biz, how far is nearest alternate dealer?
Does each accomplish every task you have in mind or would you be working around a limitation on one vs the other?
Warranties the same?
What dealer freebies are being added if any? (filled tires, delivery, minor modifications, 1st service, etc)
Does one include something substantial the other doesn't? mid-pto, remotes, convenience features, etc

Ultimately, thoughts after long test rides? That would be most important to me - which one "feels" better to me as the operator? Which one do I have the confidence in being able to do what I want it to do?

I can offer this: I have very few gripes about my NX so far. They are so minor they are very nit-picky. 1. no toolbox included, 2. ROPS bar required removal of nylock nuts to fold, 3. seat sensor too picky if suspension adjusted enough to not bottom out on roughest bumps, 4. loader moves slower than most at lower rpm, 5. hood latch pretty stiff, 6. finding M range can require some wiggling of the selector, 7. Zerk at front axle pivot requires lots of pressure to accept grease - fine with cordless gun, chore with standard manual grease gun. 8. seat belt wants to keep getting tighter to the point it's uncomfortable. I would run out of space listing all the things I like about it :) So far after about 40 hrs and doing lots of different things with it, that's all I can find fault with, and all minor/easily resolved.

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #4  
Looks like 2 pretty good choices. Kioti is a better established brand but TYM seems to be coming on strong. You don't hear much negative on either brand. I think I would look hard at the TYM.

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #5  
Rural King sells rebranded TYMs with a longer waranty.

might be something worth considering.

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #6  
I'm pretty partial to the Yanmar Engines, that would be my choice.

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #7  
I'm pretty partial to the Yanmar Engines, that would be my choice.

I don’t know much about either brands mentioned but I have 3 Deere’s right now, all powered by yanmar and all doing well.

My buddy has a 28XL mahindra and he loves it, I hear mahindra and TYM are similar.

I shopped mahindra, NH, JD and case, was gonna buy a brand new 1533 open station, ended up buying a used cabbed JD 4320 with 830 hours on it. It’s got 910 hours on it now and no troubles.

I’m getting into hay now, wished I bought a 5 family tractor that was around 70hp lol. When I bought mine a 4 family 48hp tractor was stupid big and I have come close to out growing it. You never know what lies down the road.

IMG_1042.JPGIMG_1034.JPG

If you make a profit on your property with AG related stuff you can file for tax exempt, at least here you can, I had cattle and chickens at the time, that’s what I did.

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #8  

+1

Also, I'd look at LS if you have a local dealer. Please don't just look at 2 tractors.

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #9  
I am partial to the TYM brand, but my dealer who was rated the #1 TYM dealer in the USA is also a top 10 Kioti dealer. I don't think you would go wrong either way. Make sure you compare tractor weights, 3pt and FEL lifting capacities and PTO hp. Easy access to service would also be on my list to look at. Good luck and enjoy which ever machine you decide on.

/ Any advice before I make my tractor decision?! #10  

I would never buy a new tractor at a big box store.IMHO service might be a nightmare.