Comparison Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard?

/ Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard? #1  

devildog1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's
Question for everyone anyone, open for all . I often hear new buyers asking what type of mower they should buy for mowing their lawns with a compact tractor, belly mower or rear finish mower? Many answer back that because of soil compaction the compact tractors are not ideal for this task and the small lawn or garden tractors are better. If this is so and soil compact is an issue how come the farmers around me who hay year after year with some huge weighing tractors ,(IH 1486, 1066 ) don't worry about this issue and doesn't seem to be a problem? Now I realize that hay fields are not the same as home lawns but boy oh boy they sure look good after they are hayed off almost as good as the lawns.What say you?
DevilDog

/ Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard? #2  
Cut hay fields may "look" good but almost guarantee they are a rough ride.Dedicated lawn mowers make more sense than a compact tractor with either type of cutter;cost is about the same.

/ Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard?
Ok, thanks that makes sense but how come soil compaction doesn't seem to be a factor because they mow hay year after year and the hay still grows just fine?
DevilDog

/ Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard? #4  
   / Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard? #5  
Ok, thanks that makes sense but how come soil compaction doesn't seem to be a factor because they mow hay year after year and the hay still grows just fine?
DevilDog

Look at a hay field after its been cut.... it doesn't look like a lawn. Not even close. The plant stems are huge, there's lots of space between them compared to turf grass. There's ruts and bumps and tire marks unless the field was very dry.

Also, consider the weight distribution of the tires. Chances are good that a tractor on a field may be putting down less Pounds per Square Inch than a lawn tractor does on a lawn.

And one last thing.... they get about 3 cuttings of hay per year around here, whereas lawns get mowed about once per week for 7 months out of the year, so about 7X4= 28 cuttings. So you have 3 trips (well, mowing, then bailing, etc... but you get the point), per year on a hay field and 28 trips per year on a lawn. So about 9 times the traffic on the lawn VS a hay field.

/ Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard? #6  
And your tires are spaced closer together on a lawn tractor, at least half the width of a hay tractor, so you get double the tire paths as well on a lawn with a lawn tractor VS a hay field with an AG tractor.

/ Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard? #7  
Where I grew up in California the hay farmers use their tractors to cut hay in the late spring and summer when the ground is dry. But I have to mow the lawn in early spring when the ground is wet and compacts more readily.

/ Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard? #8  
I only mow as much as we can with a walk behind. If I had acreage with lawns > 1/2 acre, I' just mow some trails through the high stuff to be able to enjoy nature and just bush hog it once a year or every other year.

If you really cannot walk, maybe get a zero turn. Saw an old lady in a little lawn this morning with a zero turn. To me, even if you're using a walker, walking behind a self propelled walk behind is like walking with a walker.

Ralph

/ Compairing compact tractor to small lawn mowing yard? #9  
Question for everyone anyone, open for all . I often hear new buyers asking what type of mower they should buy for mowing their lawns with a compact tractor, belly mower or rear finish mower? Many answer back that because of soil compaction the compact tractors are not ideal for this task and the small lawn or garden tractors are better. If this is so and soil compact is an issue how come the farmers around me who hay year after year with some huge weighing tractors ,(IH 1486, 1066 ) don't worry about this issue and doesn't seem to be a problem? Now I realize that hay fields are not the same as home lawns but boy oh boy they sure look good after they are hayed off almost as good as the lawns.What say you?
DevilDog

I think it all depends on how an individual defines "compact tractor". There is a huge size/weight range included in that definition.