Shuttle shift transmissions?

/ Shuttle shift transmissions? #1  

JayC

Veteran Member
I am wondering about these transmissions. What is the difference between mechanical and synchronized SS transmissions? Do you have to push a clutch in to shift directions (mechanical) or do you just move the lever (synchronized)? I have often wondered what the difference is. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Shuttle shift transmissions? #2  
On most shuttle shifts, you have to push the clutch in for either mechanical or sychro. The difference is, you must come to a complete stop with mechanical, but not with synchro. You can back up and shift to forward while still rolling with sychro. On mechanical, it would grind the gears. I believe there are some synchros that don't require clutching, but I'm not sure of the models. John

/ Shuttle shift transmissions? #3  
Power Shuttles don't require clutching to change directions.

/ Shuttle shift transmissions?
Thanks for clearing that up. I've been confused about these things for a while, but not anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Shuttle shift transmissions?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Power Shuttles don't require clutching to change directions. )</font>

I know Deere has the PowerReverser, but what other brands have a power shuttle?

/ Shuttle shift transmissions? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I know Deere has the PowerReverser, but what other brands have a power shuttle? )</font>

New Holland has an electro hydro shutle available on the TC55 and TN series as well as most of their larger tractors. I have had a hydro shuttle on my Ford 2120 that does not require a clutch since 1987. I love the power shuttle, great for all types of work including loader work.

Andy

/ Shuttle shift transmissions? #7  
These power shuttles would be pretty good. Much like having hydro in that one would simply choose the gear of choice and then simply move the power shift lever back and forth for forward and reverse, correct? I have only seen the mechanical and sychroshuttle types, not the power shuttle. I've found it's easy to adjust and get speed with any, but the power shuttle is probably faster to use than the others. John

/ Shuttle shift transmissions? #8  
I test drove a Kubota L series with I beleive the GST transmission, and you can shift up and down through the gears, stop and back up without using the clutch. If you needed precision (like backing up to an implement), you can use the clutch.

/ Shuttle shift transmissions? #9  
Most majors have a form of power shuttle by some name or other. Massey, JD, and NH all do and I am sure that other do also.

/ Shuttle shift transmissions? #10  
I have a Mahindra 5500 with synchro shuttle and I am very glad I opted for it. You can shift the shuttle while still rolling a bit, though I stop most of the time. The shuttle shift is far more worthwhile then I would have imagined.