Moving large round bales 6' x 4'

/ Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #11  
Re: Moving large round bales 6\' x 4\'

Good point!

the rear one lets you transport the bales safe(r)ly, and the bale back there is a great ballast for one up front.

/ Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #12  

<font color="green">the rear one lets you transport the bales safe(r)ly, and the bale back there is a great ballast for one up front.
</font>

That's exactly how I do it on the 4600.

/ Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #13  

<font color="blue"> With the rear attachment you won't be able to lift them up and drop them in the ring feeder. </font>

Why don't they make ring feeders that are joined half circles with hinges on one side and latches on the other and wheels on the bottom of the moveable half so that you can open it up, back your 3-pt hitch lifted bale in, drop it, drive out and close the feeder? Or do they?

If they don't, any of you fabricators want to get fabricatin and make some money? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #14  

My friend took a bale spear attachment and put has it on the back of his old IH pickup. He uses an electric winch mounted in the bed with the cable hooked to the toplink hookup on the spear. Just back into the roll, run the winch up some, drive to where you are going lower the winch and drive off. much safer and warmer than a tractor for this job.
Sort of like the MIkey kid, try it you will like it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #15  

They do. In the dead of winter when it's 20 below zero it's alot nicer just to drop in the ring and go! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #16  

With this spear, you could more than likely get it in the ring. At least it gets high enough. You would need to be careful, when you had it up high.

Attachments

• 450257-Fref%20Cain%20Bale%20spear.jpeg
    450257-Fref%20Cain%20Bale%20spear.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 593
   / Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #17  

6 x 4 bales are a bit much stability wise for a 2wd 40 HP tractor. You will need a 4 wd 40-60HP tractor to be safe. A FEL would be nice. If you need to move these larger bales with a compact tractor then use a Tumble bug, pictured.
haymover.jpg

/ Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #18  

A 431 or 451 Massey would easily move either of these bales. And if you wanted to a new tractor can be bought for a decent price. They also would manuver easily in a garden. Its a pain to do but if you have a bale ring we used to just pick them up (the ring) place the bale then put the ring back over the bale. Thats if you dont want or cant afforf a loader.
But once you have a loader you will never do with out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #19  

I'm no expert on this topic, but I know my cousins (who operate a 200 cow dairy) decided to buy a new tractor primarily to handle big round bales. They tried a 5510 John Deere and felt it was too light, and ended up with a JD 6520! They use the tractor on hills, and also use it to load the feed mixer, so that is some extreme duty. Their decision sure impressed me on what is needed to safely handle big bales.
Will

/ Moving large round bales 6' x 4' #20  

Any of the New Holland TN series could easily handle these bales with the quick attach loader and a set of spears. The loader capacity when not going up to high is over 4000# The New Holland TC48 or TC55 would also probably work.

Andy