Brush Hog RZ60 rotary brush mower for B7800

/ Brush Hog RZ60 rotary brush mower for B7800 #1  

LapinFarmer

Tractor
Kubota B7800
As part of the package price for a Kubota B7800, the dealer is recommending a Bush Hog RZ60, 60" rotary field mower. I'm going to use it on 4-6 acres of hilly horse pasture, and maybe a little bit of actual brushing out around the edges of said pastures.

Anyone want to comment yeah or nay on this unit or brand?

/ Brush Hog RZ60 rotary brush mower for B7800 #2  
Bush Hog has a great reputation in the rotary mower area. Afterall, don't most people refer to all rotary cutters as "bush hogs" or to the act as "bush hogging"? (Yes, some call it "brush hogging", but the "hogging" part is still there!) Kind of like referring to photocopies as Xerox's.

/ Brush Hog RZ60 rotary brush mower for B7800 #3  
I use a 60" Woods behind my B2910, but don't cut any heavy grass, mostly weeds between trees on a 2 acre hillside.

The Bush Hog brand should be a fine unit I think, but have no experience with them myself.

Kubota recommends a max 48" rotary cutter for the B7800/2910 but I know a lot of users here report using the 60" without problem.

/ Brush Hog RZ60 rotary brush mower for B7800 #4  
I don't think I've heard anything negative about them. A 60" on a B7800 might be on the large size - depends on what you are cutting. If the machine can handle it then 60" beats 48" (which would be wide enough to cover your wheel tracks on that machine).

There are lots of arguments about mowing at faster speeds vs. mowing more in one swipe, but it really depends on your specific application, IMHO. My tractor is about the same physical size as yours but much less HP so I wouldn't consider a 60" from an HP standpoint, especially since I cut thick stuff on hills. But the Bush Hog brand is supposed to be a good one.

(I have a Rhino, which has served long and well and been subjected to much abuse, no problems.)

/ Brush Hog RZ60 rotary brush mower for B7800 #5  
It is lite enough it should work good for you. I have run my neighbors rz60 behind an L1801dt with no problem. It weighs about the same as my 4' howse cutter. I have tried to buy from my neighbor but no luck so far. What kind of price do they have on it?

/ Brush Hog RZ60 rotary brush mower for B7800 #6  
I've had no trouble with my old 60" rotary mower behind my B2910 for mowing high grass and light brush. When hanging it out over our deep ditch, I like to add a little comfort by putting on the FEL for balance

/ Brush Hog RZ60 rotary brush mower for B7800 #8  
How about an RZ60 with a B7610? It will be used to mow field grass, not thick weeds, sapplings, rocks, or other obstructions. I'd use a finish mower, but there are two problems: <ul type="square">[*]In the winter time when the grass grows the most (I live in CA), it tends to be wet (even after a week without rain), and accumulates on the mower deck until eventually the mower bogs down and I need to clean the deck off. [*]In the spring, I usually let the grass grow to a few feet and mow it when it dries in late spring, which leads to a problem with the leading edge of the mower deck knocking the grass down, and then the mower blades pass right over it without cutting. Once the mower rear of the mower deck clears the grass, it springs back up. Takes about 3 passes to eventually get it all cut cleanly.[/list]I'm hoping neither of these will be aproblem with a bush hog, and that the B7610 can handled a 60" so I can get something wider than the tractor.

/ Brush Hog RZ60 rotary brush mower for B7800 #9  
i am using a Woods 5 ft with my B7800. Works great! I run in medium speed, keep the rpm up. On the 7800 there is a PTO mark as far as rpm.