Test challenge, face off & bet - Anyone game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Test challenge, face off & bet - Anyone game? #1  

Libertine

Gold Member
Tractor
TC40 16LA FEL w-QT & 758c BH
There have been a couple threads recently on two different types of very small tractors. One started by DanialNY on buying "garden tractors" and one started by myself on 2 wheel tractors. In the garden tractor thread the Craftsmen GT5000 was mentioned as a good choice. I went and carefully looked at one today. Although it was better thought out, had better build quality and more attachments than I had expected, it reminded me of what might happen if, say, a KUB subcompact (category 0) tractor had intercourse with a lawn mower and the offspring lost the advantages each originally had individually (i.e. lost/slipped some genes in the process). Even though the Craftsmen had more HP and weighed more, I believe a 2 wheel tractor would "out-work" the 4 wheel Craftsman garden tractor.

So . . . In years gone by, manufacturers used to do “field” comparison of equipment, pitting their machine against a competitor’s doing the same work side by side. I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is. How about $1,000. We’ll set up a list of things to compare, then actually pit the 2 machines next to each other performing the same work at the same time in the same place and compare the time and quality of output.

For example each tractor hooks up any standard implement available for that machine, does the work, returns and unhooks (points for each test, best time/quality wins, best overall score wins the contest):
1) mows 1/2 acre level ground
2) mows 1/2 acre rough & hilly ground
3) prepares a 5,000 sq ft food plot, turned 8" deep & tilled ready for seeding
4) make 10 bushels of mulch
5) make 10 bushels of compost ready waste
6) move 1,000 lbs of gravel from one place to a driveway
7) level (grade) the gravel over the drive
and whatever else seems reasonable. I would love a snow blower test, but not the right time of year for that.

I know where I can get a BSC. I’m sure we could find a GT5000 “garden tractor” owner and surely some kind TBNr would let us use a bit of their land. Any takers? (has to be in the mid-central US though).

So, all you garden tractor fans, anyone want to take me up on it?

JEH

/ Test challenge, face off & bet - Anyone game? #2  
What?!

No pedometer comparison between the two? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suspect there may be reasons, other than those listed, for the GT5000's popularity.

/ Test challenge, face off & bet - Anyone game? #3  
<font color="blue"> 1) mows 1/2 acre level ground
2) mows 1/2 acre rough & hilly ground
3) prepares a 5,000 sq ft food plot, turned 8" deep & tilled ready for seeding
4) make 10 bushels of mulch
5) make 10 bushels of compost ready waste
6) move 1,000 lbs of gravel from one place to a driveway
7) level (grade) the gravel over the drive
</font>

Hmm. Looks like a list of items you'd like to have done, and are willing to lose the bet @ $1,000 rather than do it yourself. You say to the contender, "You go first." Then, after he's done, you say, "Darn, I know I'll never beat that. I lose. Here's your Thousand Bucks."

'Course you know my tongue is in my cheek, and I'm only funnin' ya'.

/ Test challenge, face off & bet - Anyone game?
OkeeDon:

<font color="blue">'Course you know my tongue is in my cheek, and I'm only funnin' ya'. </font>

Actually, OkeeDon, I don't have a place to run the tests. Have to find one-could probably find a TBNr to "host" the contest. The purpose of making the bet was to prove a point, not loose the money (although, if I'm wrong, perfectly willing to pay up). I really believe that for many of the things commonly done with very small equipment that a 2 wheel BCS 850 will outperform a Craftsmen GT5000 "garden tractor". Some things, such as mowing flat, open areas, the Craftsman would probably have the edge. For other things the BCS would have the edge. Overall, in my opinion the BCS would be better - of course, like I said, if I'm wrong I'll pay up.

Frankly, people buy equipment to do work. New people visit TBN to get advice on buying equipment. Instead of uneducated "opinions" wouldn't it be interesting to actually TEST two types of equipment, side by side, doing the same work? We could take pics and post the results on TBN. I think lots of folks would find that interesting, don't you?

All that remains is to find someone who thinks the Craftsman GT5000 will "work" better than a 2 wheel BCS 850 to take me up on the bet. We agree on a list of tasks for which this type of equipment is commonly used (my list was a suggestion, but am certainly willing to consider others), find a mutually agreeable spot and do it. Shouldn't be too difficult, you think?

JEH

/ Test challenge, face off & bet - Anyone game? #5  
Does the BCS have "cup holders" like the Craftsman GT5000 does? Looks like a MAJOR design flaw to me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KENSFM:

<font color="blue">Does the BCS have "cup holders" like the Craftsman GT5000 does? Looks like a MAJOR design flaw to me. </font>

Ken, are you suggesting we add a category:
8) Riding along looking sexy pretending you have a "real" tractor?

I think the point is to objectively measure the ability to do useful work, rather than psychological matters. I don't know how to measure those. Do you?

JEH

/ Test challenge, face off & bet - Anyone game? #7  
HI...

Snow removal is a good one too... can be with snowblower & plow...

How about including the machine's durability in the scoring... i.e. problems/breakdowns... wear 'n tear...

Maybe equipment cost & life expectancy... a fairy accurate life expectancy could be obtained from the designer's of the equipment... ...or true experts... but might be difficult to obtain...

...then... a cost per hour of work could be compared too...

Dave...

Dave:

Yeah, I know. Problem is "proving" it. Too much room for argument. You're right, of course. But a clock measuring how long it takes to prepare a food plot is easy and everyone (winner or looser) can agree on the results. Operating cost per hour might be feasible though. Yes, from the pics of you snow blowing that one would be sure winner for the BCS. But, don't guess we can go to S. America to hold the event. Anyway, we'll see.

JEH

PS Read your post on losing control of a Gravely & pushing a car when you were 10. Diane did that with one of my Gravelies, almost pushed out the support holding up the patio. People unfamiliar with this stuff don't realize how powerful it is. Which, of course, is the purpose of my challenge.

/ Test challenge, face off & bet - Anyone game? #9  
This is an unfair competition. First, and foremost, is price. You can get a Craftsman GT5000 for about 2grand with mowing deck. The BCS new with mowing deck is significantly more. If you add all the attachements needed (for the competition) to both, the BCS is still more.

Second, the mission of the two machines is completely different. The GT is designed to MOW GRASS 90% of the time, perhaps tow a cart the minority, with a little snow removal or tilling capability. So add this to your test: Mow 3 acres using one leg and one hand....

Or perhaps tow a 4x8 utility cart full of fence posts a half mile (with one leg and one hand)

You get my drift. This is a silly comparison. GTs are sold to millions of people to mow lawns, plus a few things. Walk behind tractors are sold to Europeans who have a 1000 sq. ft. lot, and a handful of Americans who really like to walk.

I think the BCS machines are really neat. But I would not want to spend my weekend grounds duties walking and walking and walking, esp. for 2-3 acres of mowing. The 4 wheel equivelent to the BCS is a kubota BX1500. Proportionately more expensive, but just as well built and versitile.

/ Test challenge, face off & bet - Anyone game? #10  
Ah, the trusty old BCS! That was my first tractor, a 16hp workhorse. Tilled soil like you wouldn't believe. Liked the sicklebar and the brush hog too. But the snowblower was a delicate piece of expensive junk! Blew snow like crazy, but iced up and worst of all had no shear pins! The first small stone I hit -- no larger than a computer mouse -- twisted the auger into a pretzel!

But the tractor itself was a solid work of art!

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.