Woods PL60 core aerator

/ Woods PL60 core aerator #1  

Gary_in_Indiana

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket
I just came across a used Woods PL60 core aerator at a local dealer's place. I'm trying to turn a former pasture into something more lawn-like and thought that something like this might be a step in the right direction.

First, I wanted to know if this was a good thing to use in my efforts and if it's worth owning one. Also, I was curious as to what might be a fair price for something like this. Lastly, is this 60" wide model a good size for my John Deere 4200 HST machine.

Thanks in advance for all of your input on this. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Woods PL60 core aerator #2  
I'm not so sure you would REALLY need an aerator, but they do help. Not knowing what the former pasture is like now makes it difficult to advise, but just keeping it cut regularly will go a long way to making it more lawn-like.
You might decide to weed and feed making sure you don't use something that would kill the good grass you have now, if you have any.
If it's really weedy and woody, you may want to strip it of most of the vegetation, or turn it all under with a tiller and start fresh. Just aerating by itself isn't going to do a whole lot for you. If you have plenty of good grass, start finish cutting it high and often to promote good grass root systems, water about 1 inch twice a week unless you're getting plenty of rain, and the grass should choke out most of the weeds.
Most likely it's too hot right now for weed killer. You may want to use a liquid fertilizer now, when the sun is not too hot, and water it in good. Pick up Jerry Baker's Book, Backyard Problem Solver www.jerrybaker.com for some good solutions. John

/ Woods PL60 core aerator #3  
We aerate once a year, for both lawns and pasture. We have clay soil at both of our locations and aeration allows us to break up the soil without losing any of the grass. I believe the relatively easy effort to aereate when the soil is damp is pays me back in thicker turf and fewer weeds. It can also help hold any grass seed in place when you overseed large areas. I have a 60" Land Pride aerator and wish I had gotten the 72" one. I don't know how wide the 4200's tread width is, but it is helpful to have the aerator be about the same width of the rear of your 4200 -- however, if you are getting a good price on the used aerator, I wouldn't worry too much about the width. When I aereate, I do two passes over all the ground, at 90 degree angles to each other, where possible. Because our ground is so hard with clay, I also got water ballast tanks for help penetration. That has worked out fairly well. Hope this helps out in making your decison.

/ Woods PL60 core aerator
We're covered with clay here, too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I would think something like weights would help it get through that. My 4200 is about 5' wide so I'd just cover my tracks, which would probably be fine, wouldn't it?

Lastly, do you have any idea what a good price on this thing might be? I just happened to see it around the back of the dealership as I was leaving Saturday and haven't even asked about it. I don't know what the story is with it as it sure didn't look like anyone cared too much about it as it still had dirt in the spoons.

/ Woods PL60 core aerator #5  
Go in and ask how much they are asking for it.... if he says make an offer, start at $100 ..... remember, as the buyer, you can always go up in price, but not down . I would guess that a new one would run about $600, so anything between $100 and $300 is a good deal. If you make the purchase, then pressure wash it and paint your tractor colors and it will immediately gain 100% in value.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Shop the Junkman way.... don't show too much interest and have the half the cash in one pocket and the rest in the other. Never let the seller know how much you have because he will want you to leave more of it with him... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> "I would guess that a new one would run about $600, so anything between $100 and $300 is a good deal." </font>

That gives me an idea on the money. My 'seat of the pants' guess was that $100 would be a steal and that I'd still be OK at $200, so I guess I was in the ballpark. I just didn't want to go into this armed with that and nothing more. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Woods PL60 core aerator #7  
Full retail on the Woods unit at 72" wide was over $1500 last I looked. They are a good unit, but at that price point didn't see much action in the homeowner market.

<font color="blue"> "Full retail on the Woods unit at 72" wide was over $1500 last I looked." </font>

WOW!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I can sure see why something you'd use maybe twice a year wouldn't be a real hot seller at that pricing. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I still don't think it's worth more than a hundred or two to me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I can get it bought for that it'll be fine; if I can't that'll be fine, too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Woods PL60 core aerator #9  
Could be a rental unit. One of our local dealers has some stuff he keeps just for that reason. This spring I rented the same unit (Woods 60"). It was $45.00, picked up on Sat. and "bring it back sometime before next weekend". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif To me, better than owning.

THAT makes perfect sense! It's not something any individual would want to buy new just to use a couple times a year but would be a great rental tool. Beyond that, given the fact that it wasn't cleaned up and was against the far side of the building on a pallet, it didn't appear anyone was too interested in doing any kind of 'marketing' of it at all.