Price Check zero turn mowers and price differences

/ zero turn mowers and price differences #1  

Nat

Platinum Member
I'm looking at new mowers and have found a huge difference in price for several mowers that look comparable to me.
1. Cub Cadet Z-Force--3995.00--22 hp B&S
2. Yazoo/Kees midmax--4995.00--18 HP B&S
3. Great Dane Chariot--6000.00--17 hp Kawasaki
4. John Deere 717 Z-trak--6400.00--19hp Kawasaki
All are 48" cut
All are 2 lever steer
these are the prices they are selling for at several different places, so it's not a location difference.
I know the Great Dane, and the John Deere are the same machine, made in the same place, a couple small differences, but really identical.
am I missing a big quality difference, that anyone knows of, or are they equal except for price. Anyone have any of these mowers, or have any opinions on them? I would sure appreciate any help.
Thanks, Nat

/ zero turn mowers and price differences #2  
   / zero turn mowers and price differences #3  
Nat, I have been looking at ZTR's for a while now, and I think the pricing differences can be explained by a few features (or lack of features.) One area where the machines differ is in the drive. The cheaper units use a non-serviceable intergrated unit that has a life span of 800-1000 hours, according to the manufacturers. Heavier duty machines have a pump and wheel motor design, that is serviceable by changing fluid and filter.
Another area seems to be the construction of the mower deck. Generally, the more expensive units have heavier construction in the deck area.
Hope this helps,
Will

/ zero turn mowers and price differences #4  
Take a look at the Lesco Z Two. Same exact machine as the Cub Tank (MTD makes both). Price is $5995 for a Kawasaki 25HP with 60" fabricated deck. This unit is VERY heavy duty. Don't be afraid of the MTD connection. They make all cubs now (and a bunch of other brands) because they own Cub Cadet. This machine is made for, marketed to, Lawn Care Professionals.

/ zero turn mowers and price differences #5  
Nat,

What kind of material are you mowing, grass, weeds,etc. The mowers your looking at seemed to me under powered. Most people buy ZTR's to mow fast and have a longer life span of average lawnmower. I have a 27hp Kolher on the Ferris 3000GT and mow mainly bahia grass which is very hard on maintaining blade sharpness. The extra hp lets you plow thru the taller and denser grasses. All my neighbors brought the under 22hp ZTR's and mow at much slower speeds than I can mow at. I avg around 8 to 9 mhp and usually mow my 5 acres in 2.5 hrs, compared to the neighbors 20 hp ztr 3.5 hrs in mowing the same acreage. The extra 5 to 7 hp makes a differance in time and quaility of cut. $6500.00 plus is a lot of money for a ZTR but you usally get what you pay for in productivity and live span of the product.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

db

/ zero turn mowers and price differences #6  
I don't know about the others, I just got rid of an Ariens 1648 zero turn, nothing but problems, so much so that when i emailed the factory about problems with the ground speed not being even after 3 warr. calls and having had one side "transmission" replaced (whatever that drive clutch system is called) that the "official" answer from the factory on getting the ground speed correct was "let air out of the tires on one side"-----yep thats the kind of factory service i wanted.

/ zero turn mowers and price differences #7  
I would like to know more about the John Deere 620 Z tracks.

Unlike some of the other ZTR's the JD 620 has 3 sets of wheels instead of the std 2 sets. I would think that the 3rd set of wheels might offer more stability on the hills or uneven terrain.

Anybody here have one of these JD 620's?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ zero turn mowers and price differences #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Most people buy ZTR's to mow fast and have a longer life span of average lawnmower. I have a 27hp Kolher on the Ferris 3000GT and mow mainly bahia grass which is very hard on maintaining blade sharpness. The extra hp lets you plow thru the taller and denser grasses. All my neighbors brought the under 22hp ZTR's and mow at much slower speeds than I can mow at. I avg around 8 to 9 mhp and usually mow my 5 acres in 2.5 hrs, compared to the neighbors 20 hp ztr 3.5 hrs in mowing the same acreage. The extra 5 to 7 hp makes a differance in time and quaility of cut. $6500.00 plus is a lot of money for a ZTR but you usally get what you pay for in productivity and live span of the product. )</font>

Ground speed is a big factor for large, open areas. It is not much of a factor for the type of lawn service that does lots of small yards or places with lots of trees. Around here, about 90% of the full time lawn services use Walker mowers. They are certainly not fast in terms of raw ground speed. They are extremely manueverable and with the deck out front they can get under most bushes. String trimming is kept to a bare minimum. Consequently, the Walker consistently outperforms nearly everything out there for smaller yards. They are expensive. I believe the cheapest model with a 38" deck and 15hp air cooled engine is around $6000 with the grass hopper. You can spend over 10 grand for the bigger models. The other feature they have that saves tons of time is a large grass capacity in the hopper and the ability to dump it in a trailer without getting off the mower. You steer with the fingers on one hand. It is very simple to operate. I tried one out at the dealer last year.

When I'm done with my landscaping chores and don't need a tractor anymore, I'll probably sell the Kubota BX and get a Walker. The Kubota ZTR is also tempting. I guess it depends on what my kids will be doing with the mower at that point.

/ zero turn mowers and price differences #9  
I have driven the front mounted decked 687 and older models and they have the Kohler V-Twin, and the deck piviots so when you go over a large bump or hill in the ground you feet will rise up too since your foot rests are built into the mower deck. I don't get what you mean by 3 sets of wheels. There are the front drive wheels and the 1 or 2 rear casters by the motor. 2 wheels are optional or at least they were. I personally like them more than the normal Z-tracks since you can trim under trees. Oh as for stability, you can get the back of the machine to come up very easily if you go forward fast then hit reverse quick! Since it piviots it is bouncy!