Which one (used tractor choices)?

/ Which one (used tractor choices)? #11  
A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say...that New Holland shows more wear than I expected. The tires are quite worn, and lots of sun fade. makes me wonder about those hours.....

Anyhow, the Kioti sure is a peach. Just want to be sure you are comfortable with the gst/shuttle. As for the comment about the deere being a garden tractor, let's pretend the dealer didnt say that since it qualifies him as an idiot. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif No need to bash the competition just to sell a tractor. The 755 is a Yanmar to the bone, which is a good thing. Legendary series of CUTs in my opinion. Anyhow, tough decision....spend some time researching the Kioti section....

I test drove an LB1914 last year, and will say that the fit and finish is not on par with similar Kubotas and Deere. But compared to the much older 755....hard to tell /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Shopping is fun!

/ Which one (used tractor choices)? #12  
My vote goes for the Kioti 1st - from the pic it looks very good, NH 2nd - later model, and JD 3rd .
However not knowing how soon you want to buy, and not knowing the CA used ag market, I would check your local news papers classified ads for used equipment(rather than shopping dealers). Also check to see if there are any ag consignment auctions in your area. This spring I saw a mid 90's J.D. 955 with loader and roughly 1000 hrs go for 5K.
Good luck in whatever you decide! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Which one (used tractor choices)? #13  
That Kioti is definitely in good shape, and the hours are much lower. Considering all that it comes with, the price is reasonable compared to a new one similarly outfitted.
All of the others look pretty used and not well kept as far as paint, tires etc.
For my money, I would certainly go for the Kioti, and I think you will quickly learn to like the mechanical shuttle. Just remember how that works. You put it in the gear in which you want to work, then all you have to do come to a stop and move the shuttle lever to F/R and go. This can get to be done quickly with experience and you don't have to keep changing the gears.
As for the tiller, you can't put a very large tiller on any of those units and $2000 seems a bit high. If I were you, I'd contact Mark at CCM and get a quote on one delivered to you from his store. I think you would save quite a bit. His tillers are gear driven, not chain which is better as well. John

/ Which one (used tractor choices)? #14  
Welcome to TBN. I would also vote for the Kioti. Based on the hour meter and the appearance, it has had an easier life than the others. If those are the original tires, then it has definitely had it easy. The others all have tires that are well worn. Assuming that these are not all from the same dealer, you might want to try to 'negotiate' at service job before you buy it. Have all of the fluids changed and new filters installed. Lastly, the transmission.... I own a CUT with a gear/shuttle tranny and a garden tractor with HST. I personally prefer the gear tranny. So it is important to have your friend (the ultimate user) try out the tractors and see if they have a preference on trannies.

/ Which one (used tractor choices)? #15  
Here in the flat valley, I've never had a need for 4wd. If it's muddy enough to need 4wd, you're likely to get stuck even with 4wd. (This is my experience at the area around my house.)

For the tiller, figure out if you have clay or loam type soil. Basically, right now, does it look like dirt or concrete with weeds growing through? The concrete-look clay is the soil I have at my place.

To the rest of the board, the prices don't seem all that high for this area. California is a great place to live, but not perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Which one (used tractor choices)?
Thanks to everybody for the help thus far. I will check the soild and report back.

/ Which one (used tractor choices)? #17  
The four wheel drive is a plus. I found that every once in a while you just need a little extra umph. As for the soild in the Clarksburg area a tiller should work great. The delta has good soil and would be a great asset.

/ Which one (used tractor choices)?
Thanks a ton for the help everybody. He is probably going to get the Kioti LB1914. Now that I know the tiller will work, what size/brand tiller should he get? Will the tractor power it ok?

I called the Central Valley Builders Supply in Woodland like rrsquid recomended and indeed they did seem to have decent prices, but they no longer carry tillers. Where else should I look for one?

Also, is a tiller the right tool for the job? He plans on using it for his garden and perhaps some landscaping around the house.

/ Which one (used tractor choices)? #19  
AgentWD40
I don't think you should have much trouble. I remember using an old Satoh tractor my step father had. I am guessing it was the size of the Kioti or maybe even a little smaller. It had a small roto-tiller and I used it to do a lot of landscaping in rock hard soil in Sacramento and it worked fine. Bucked a little due to the hard soil, but we used the heck out of that little critter. You might go to the Kioti web site and see what size tiller they recommend. In a past life, I worked a lot in the Pear Orchards of Courtland and surrounding area. Hard to beat that nice delta soil. Good luck with the tractor and let us know how it works out.

/ Which one (used tractor choices)? #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks a ton for the help everybody. He is probably going to get the Kioti LB1914. )</font>
Oh! I thought the tractor was for you, but I guess you're looking to help out someone else. Don't forget to check with CCI (member on here) about a tiller. Also Wallace, Sweettractors, Virgil and Depratt Equipment may be able to help you get a good deal delivered to your home. John