15' bat winged bush hog

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #1  

goatman

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 30
15\' bat winged bush hog

I am posting for a friend looking for a 15 ft bat winged heavy duty, airplane tires, stump jumping Woods, or Bush Hog brand bush hog.. They have a 20 ft unit by caldwell they want to sell or trade for the above unit.. New or used in good codition.. Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #2  
Re: 15\' bat winged bush hog

<font color="blue"> stump jumping Woods, or Bush Hog brand bush hog </font>

I highly suggest not buying a Woods -- if you can find a Bush Hog or even better, a Rhino, your friend will be much happier.

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #3  

Don't know of one right now, but around here that size of cutter brings about 2,500-3,500 in used /somewhat ugly, but good working condition.
Most people I know have had good luck with the batwing Woods cutters. Don't know about the newer ones though.

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #4  

<font color="blue"> Most people I know have had good luck with the batwing Woods cutters. </font>

I've posted this in the past, but my opinion on the Woods batwing mowers comes from conversations with my dad. My dad's business mows 400-600 acres PER DAY down in Cape Coral, Florida. He has tried most of the mowers out there. Several years ago Bush Hog gave him a mower to use for a season to get his feedback on what the company could do to improve their mowers. This year Rhino is doing the same. These companies love to get input and see how their mowers fair with such large use.

I'm sorry if I offend the Woods believers, but of all of all the mowers he has used, Woods is by far the worst. He was constantly having to repair the darn things. Even the wheels would fall off for Pete's sake!

His company now ONLY mows with the Rhino 15' and 20' flex-wings (Super Heavy Duty)

I am sure that for the average Joe out there any NEW mower would work fine, but buying a USED Woods would be a risk. I am just giving my 2 cents to those that may want to know how some mowers stack up when fully exercised.

Oh, for those wondering -- the tractors he uses are John Deere 7210's, and he has been in this business for over 17 years.

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #5  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Oh, for those wondering -- the tractors he uses are John Deere 7210's, and he has been in this business for over 17 years. )</font>

Dave,

I recall you mentioing your Dad's business in other posts. I was just wondering how he got started in that work? How many pieces of equipment does he have operating on any given day? That's a pretty impressive operation, if he's mowing 400 - 600 acres per day. Is that all that his business does, or does he offer other services too?

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #6  

Gary,

Ok, here goes -- it may turn into a Novel.

My parents sold their home in 1980 near Chicago, and moved down to Cape Coral, FL. My dad had just quit his job -- he had enough of the cold Chicago winters -- and started a lawn care business. I also started one about a year later after not returning to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for my sophmore year. This was the time of the gas crisis and pilots were getting laid off left and right. I didn't want to be in debt up to my ears and have no where to get a job. After a few years of cutting grass, I decided to go back to college and gave all my accounts to my dad.

About the time I was graduating, the City of Cape Coral (which is the 2nd largest city land-wise next to Jacksonville in FL), decided to stop mowing the vacant lots (which each one is owned by someone) and contract it out to private industry. My dad offered me to join him in this venture, but with my new Engineering degree in hand, I opted out. So, my brother-in-law and my father decided to go after this new venture.

They did their homework and went to bid with bond in hand. There is something like 13 Districts that were up for bid -- they got something like 5 of them. 3 other companies got the remaining 8. The contracts were for 2 years with a 2 year extension. At the time, the lots needed to be cut only 4 times per year. They calculated that they would need three (3) tractors and three (3) 15' flexwing mowers. They bought 2 Kubota M8750's (actually one of them is now mine); 1 Deutz and 3 Bush Hog mowers. They took out a 2 year loan on all equipment. That way if they just got the 2 years without extension they would have everything paid for. The first 2 years were lean years for them, but after they got the 2-year extension, things started paying off. From there they kept bidding when new contracts came up and buying more tractors/mowers.

Now they must cut 6 times per year -- more money -- but they must complete things quicker, so they had to buy more equipment and hire more men. I think when they were at their peak they were running 8 tractors. My dad is ready for retirement and my brother-in-law is not the kind of guy that can run the business on his own (he is pretty much the in-house mechanic), so at the last bid a year ago, they only bid on 2 districts and have decided to end things 2 years from now. They only run John Deere 7210's now -- all air cabs, and all run 20' Rhino Super Heavy-Duty Flexwing's. When they are finished, I get first shot at buying any equipment of theirs at the family discount. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At one point many years ago, they also did some Highway work -- but the logistics was just too much of a hassle. They have done very well for themselves.

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #7  

Thanks Dave. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Very interesting story. I had the feeling that maybe your folks had kind of gotten into that business accidentally. I always find stories like that fascinating.

Maybe something like that will happen to me next year after I retire! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #8  

"I'm sorry if I offend the Woods believers, "

Hmmm, just putting my 2 cents...Sorry for hhitting a nerve on the Woods haters /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #9  

Try checking out the Modern 15' cutter. I am a Modern dealer in Tennessee and just sold one to a customer and he loves it. It's one of the heaviest cutters that I've seen. It uses Bandioli gear boxes (not Chinese) and is hot dipped in Zinc for a galvanize finish. The gear boxes have a 5 year warranty and the deck also has a 5 year rust through warranty. The mower that I had in stock had laminated tires but the customer wanted airplane tires so I changed those out with no problem. These may be seen on the www.modernusa.com website. Contact me if I can be of any assistance.

/ 15' bat winged bush hog #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Try checking out the Modern 15' cutter. I am a Modern dealer in Tennessee and just sold one to a customer and he loves it. )</font>
Hi Rick, welcome to TBN. You should fill out your profile and also, go list your dealership under "Dealers" at the top. I think you'll find a lot of great people on here. John