Compact tractor vs skid steer

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #11  
I doubt the poster will be in the market for the CAT track skid steer. $$$$. So getting stuck will be a big issue for him.

For me the big factor would be the skidding. They tear the hell out anything they're on.

The large commercial landscapers that I've worked with usually have both. The skid steer usually has two uses. Running stone for retaining wall footings, and for Harley Raking before seed.

Henro is right. The bobcat is usually for cleanup tasks in and around the buildings being built.

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #12  
After using all, I lean towards the tracked machines in the middle ground. For all the issues a skidsteer(Bobcat, et al.) has on uneven or steep terrain, the track loaders get around that, for the most part. I have seen, and used myself, Bobcats S185 on uneven steep rocky terrain. It was a digging and grading monster! I also got it stuck here at the house in the winter(got out on its own, but was hard...).

There are more options for size and type out there these days. The ASVi RC30 that I want is a 3000lb, 30hp machine; more in line with the size and power of a larger CUT.
There are a lot of options out there now. IMHO, of course, using a blanket statement which might cover all skidsteers is not really applicable. There are options of HP, weight, lift, skid or track type. Some can do both skid AND 4 wheel steer at the flick of a switch.

Using Bobcat as an example, the 463 is like 22hp and 2500lbs, 36" wide. The S185 is 56hp, 6000lb machine. The 900 series are even more powerful, and in the 9-10,000lb range. I think, they all look too similar to distinguish this, as compared to CUT's. Yes, that is a forementioned blanket statement. But, most CUT's are in the 1500-3000lb, 20-35hp range.

To make it shorter, I guess I mean for a good answer, the comparison is apples to oranges, but at least the comparison should be of similar size and weight apples and oranges
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #13  
I'll have to weigh in with the majority on this one and recommend the tractor. Skid steers have their advantages, like being able to see the whole bucket (although on many models that's about all you can see) and being far more manueverable than tractors. Back in my landscaping days we used both - the tractors did the rough mowing and finish grading with back blade and pulverizer, and the skid loader did all of the loader work and ran a rock hound for lawn installations. Some of the guys also used the skid loader with pallet forks to dig holes for planting trees. With a good rental yard in the area, you can rent just about any implement you can think of for a skid loader.

However, a compact tractor is more versatile for most homeowner/landowner work. The skid loader tears up soft surfaces and leaves rubber on hard surfaces when it turns. The combination of heavy weight on a small wheelbase with small diameter tires makes them vulnerable to getting stuck, although tracks help considerably with this problem. If there is any distance between the place a skid loader is stored and the job site, such as traveling from the barn to the back of the property to work, the low ground speed of a skid loader may be a factor.

The compromise option is to either rent a skid loader or buy one and resell it after the work for which is most appropriate is complete, then go with a CUT for the maintenance work. Spend some demo time with any equipment you consider buying and make sure the controls are comfortable and intuitive for you. Strictly my personal preference, but the dual T-sticks on a Gehl were easier for me to use than the joystick/foot pedal setup on a Bobcat. Preferences vary; make sure anything you buy suits yours.

My two cents...

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #14  
Ready for a real ambiguious post?

It depends on what you are doing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are planning to use the CUT as a digging maching, get the skid loader. The boom and design of tractor loaders leave a LOT to be desired in the rootin and tearing department. You can dig a LOT more, a lot faster with a lot less stress on the maching when you use a skidsteer. A good loader operator can level a lot of ground in good time with little trouble. I grew up on Case uni-loaders. Started operating one at 8 years old. Much better set up than a bobcat (IMHO) because to get the work done I need BOTH feet planted for balance. All work in done at the two handles left and right. I dont remember ever getting stuck so badly that I couldnt either spin my way out, or shove myself out with the bucket, however, I knew the limitations of the machine I was on. I did flip one once, that was kind of exciting.

Now, the CUT on the other hand. For long term maint. of grounds is the way to go. The loader is a compromise, and as long as you think of it as such you can move whatever you want, given time. The big benifit to the CUT is in implements. You can put an attachment on the cut to do just about anything your little heart desires. If you have the need to really root and tear, then get a hoe. If you want to level, then a back blade and a york rake are in your future, if its real bad, start with a plow or a 3pt tiller. After all the dirt work is done, then you can still use the tractor, sell the implements you dont need (yeah right /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )

Bottom line is you can use the tractor for more different things, the loader in a much better LOADER. It all depends on what you need,

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #15  
From my posts on these topics, it would appear I am pro skidsteer. I am not particularily; I have a CUT for the time being, and would most likely only sell it for a tracked loader(I really want an ASVi-RC30).

Your post gives good info about both skidsteer and CUT. One thing I see a lot is that a skidsteer, or somewhat similar track-loader, can dig. The thing that is often left out is that they can do a lot more than dig or grade. Loaders, hoes, scrapers, augers, brooms, breakers, 6-way dozer blade, chippers, brush mowers, bale handlers, rakes, planers, graders(laser guide graders too!), grapples, trenchers, ect. And, a lot of that can be rented.

I used the hand controls an the ASVi-RC30 and Cat-247. I really liked them. The Cat also had a foot throttle, which seemed odd at first, but after using it I rather liked it.

The interesting thing about the ASV RC30 and such machines, is the ease with which they work on turf with little to no marking I worked the Cat-247 track loader in pretty wet conditions. Even working over grass, it left minimal marking, especially considering it is a 6000lb machine.

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #16  
You are absoultly correct about the implements for the skid loaders. However, all of those attachments are available for tractors also. Not all tractors can handle all attachments, but not all loaders can handle all attachments either.

BTW, you forgot a few /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hydralic jackhammer, scarfires, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What Im saying is for everyday use, a CUT makes a whole lot more sense than a loader for a property owner, UNLESS he/she needs to do some serious rooting in a short time. Then you NEED to get a machine that is designed for the work you are doing.

Best case, get one of each /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer
Thanks for all the comments. I went up to New Hampshire today and put a deposit on a Mahindra 2015HST w/FEL for $12,500. It feels good! This is a great forum. Thanks again.

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #18  
Congratulations! That's a real nice machine. Don't forget to post a few pics when the new tractor arrives! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer
Thanks, I will (when it arrives).

The dealer I bought it from, Jim, at Northeastern Forklift in Epson, NH couldn't have been nicer to deal with. An all ariound good guy.

The prices I got were :-

Mahindra 2015HST with FEL $12,500
Sitrex conical spreader $425
Woods 6 ft rake $630
Woods gauge wheels for 6 ft rake $235
Woods 60" blade $450
4X6 utility trailer $575
Woods 48" brush bull cutter $1095

total about $16K of which $12,600 or so was at 0% financing.

I originally had a Kioti CK20 on my list as well as the 2015HST but the prices I got were all about $2K more than the Mahindra, and they seemed harder to get a hold of

/ Compact tractor vs skid steer #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I originally had a Kioti CK20 on my list as well as the 2015HST but the prices I got were all about $2K more than the Mahindra, and they seemed harder to get a hold of)</font>
That was a pretty good deal. Most of the time that model seems to come in just around the same price as the CK20HST so you did well. I think that's probably a good tractor too and they look good. John